The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Best Letter Ever Sent To A Congressman (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

R.S.
View Profile
Regular user
CT one day I'll have
194 Posts

Profile of R.S.
"It is error only, and not truth, that shrinks from inquiry." Thomas Paine
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27065 Posts

Profile of Jonathan Townsend
That argument might not do well other areas and may well lead to unacceptable conclusions.

So is the argument valid?
...to all the coins I've dropped here
acesover
View Profile
Special user
I believe I have
817 Posts

Profile of acesover
I thought there were only 3 Stooges.
If I were to agree with you. Then we would both be wrong. As of Apr 5, 2015 10:26 pm I have 880 posts. Used to have over 1,000
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27065 Posts

Profile of Jonathan Townsend
Quote:
On 2013-10-12 23:32, acesover wrote:
I thought there were only 3 Stooges.

um... not according to Moe.
http://boingboing.net/2013/09/06/1972-in......ard.html
...to all the coins I've dropped here
Watchmaker
View Profile
Veteran user
372 Posts

Profile of Watchmaker
The point is absurd. The fact that the commentator thinks it's brilliant is weird, he seems sort of a 'meathead'. The reason the analogy is terribly flawed is because in sports you have teams, or people, competing against each other within the rules of the game to win. The object is to beat the other guy. The goal is to be the last man standing, so to speak.

With politics the goal is to run the country in the best way possible within the rules (in our case, the Constitution). The only reason you have "teams" is because people have different views on how to achieve those goals. Sometimes one is right, sometimes the other. You can even have both having good ideas and they can be combined. It is NOT A GAME. There is no "other team", we are all on the same team - DUMMY!

Because dug in politicians whose real goal is reelection, and power, not the smooth operation of government and idealogical drones who cling to their "team" no matter what, they think it's a game and will do whatever it takes to win. In their minds the goal is beat the other guy. They have lost sight of what the goal really is. To me it's a mental disease.

Even if you were so shallow to think it is a good analogy, why would you assume the "game was over". Would they think it's funny if a team was loosing and still were trying as hard as they could to win? What a bunch of idiots.

Change of subject: the Moe interview is wonderful. The link to that was worth the heartburn of everything else (thanks Mr. Townsend).

Respectfully,

Phil
R.S.
View Profile
Regular user
CT one day I'll have
194 Posts

Profile of R.S.
Quote:
On 2013-10-13 05:27, Watchmaker wrote:
With politics the goal is to run the country in the best way possible within the rules (in our case, the Constitution). The only reason you have "teams" is because people have different views on how to achieve those goals. Sometimes one is right, sometimes the other. You can even have both having good ideas and they can be combined. It is NOT A GAME. There is no "other team", we are all on the same team - DUMMY!

Well, then the "team" we are all on would be the House, Senate, President, and Supreme Court which all passed and upheld the ACA. Which team are you referring to? The small minority which has already attempted (and failed) 41 times to repeal the law? THAT'S the team we're all on?? Sorry. Your side lost this debate 2 and a half years ago. We're not going to go out and play a tenth inning just for you. Here's an idea... reopen the government, abide by the current law, wait until 2016 and then elect a Republican President who will do your bidding. That my friend, is what the Constitution and the rule of law is about.

Quote:

Even if you were so shallow to think it is a good analogy, why would you assume the "game was over".

Again, because the House, Senate, the (re-elected) President, Supreme Court, and 41 failed repeal attempts (costing millions of dollars) over the past 2 and a half years says it's over.

I'm pretty sure that if everything was reversed and a Republican was president and a minority of Democrats did the same thing in protest of said Republican's president's established law (upheld by the SC and intact after 41 repeal attempts), you wouldn't be sympathetic to their refusal to accept the law of the land, now would you? Or would you embrace them with open arms and encourage them to shut down the government and to keep "playing the game"?

PS - The ad hominem "meathead" attack is a sure sign of desperation.

GO USA!

Ron
:)
"It is error only, and not truth, that shrinks from inquiry." Thomas Paine
Watchmaker
View Profile
Veteran user
372 Posts

Profile of Watchmaker
Dred Scott v. Sandford was fine with the Senate, House, President and Supreme Court at one time. Settled Law! Get over it.

by your logic you must feel the same way about Slavery.

I'm done.
mastermindreader
View Profile
V.I.P.
Seattle, WA
12589 Posts

Profile of mastermindreader
This most recent extremist claim that the ACA is somehow analogous to slavery has been a favorite on right-wing talk radio (Glenn Beck, et al) for several months now.
LobowolfXXX
View Profile
Inner circle
La Famiglia
1192 Posts

Profile of LobowolfXXX
That's hardly the point of Watchmaker's post.
"Torture doesn't work" lol
Guess they forgot to tell Bill Buckley.

"...as we reason and love, we are able to hope. And hope enables us to resist those things that would enslave us."
mastermindreader
View Profile
V.I.P.
Seattle, WA
12589 Posts

A week doesn't go by on right-wing talk radio without someone using the Dred Scott decision and slavery in the same sentence as the Affordable Care Act.
LobowolfXXX
View Profile
Inner circle
La Famiglia
1192 Posts

Profile of LobowolfXXX
Which is not an analogy between the two, but an argument - reductio ad absurdum; perfectly legitimate - against the argument that since the ACA is the law of the land, it must therefore be respected and we should all just move on.
"Torture doesn't work" lol
Guess they forgot to tell Bill Buckley.

"...as we reason and love, we are able to hope. And hope enables us to resist those things that would enslave us."
mastermindreader
View Profile
V.I.P.
Seattle, WA
12589 Posts

I agree with you on that. Just find it curious that it is always the slavery and Dred Scott issues that get compared to ACA, rather than prohibition, Sunday Blue Laws, or other, less inflammatory, laws that were once held to be legal.

The comparison of the ACA specifically with slavery laws if an example of argument by innuendo.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Best Letter Ever Sent To A Congressman (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.34 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL