The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » I suck at mentalism. (3 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
Danyel
View Profile
Loyal user
Italy
293 Posts

Profile of Danyel
J100taylor -if I may, I would suggest a real 'audience' (your church could provide one, Toastmasters too): that is, people who are there for YOU, not for the beer, or to have fun among themselves.
In a Pub it could be VERY difficult: there, you have couples and small groups: some could appreciate, some make a joke out of you, some just disturb. It's a very hard venue where to perform.
Have a look at that great scene of the Country Pub from 'The Blues Brothers'.. the Rawhide one.. and you'll understand what I mean Smile
'People who lean on logic and philosophy and rational exposition
end by starving the best part of the mind' -William Butler Yeats
gregg webb
View Profile
New user
77 Posts

Profile of gregg webb
Interesting thread. I would suggest learning something like palmistry, and do it for people for free for a long time to get in the head of the whole thing. I use this example because it uses no cards or any props really. That's why I didn't say Tarot cards. If you feel like a charlatan doing palm reading, then that might be a hint that mentlism isn't for you.
mastermindreader
View Profile
V.I.P.
Seattle, WA
12590 Posts

Profile of mastermindreader
I respectively disagree. Many top mentalists don't use Tarot, palmistry or other divination tools. Instead they either work in the Dunninger/Kreskin mode of "scientific mind-reading" or in the psychological (Ned Rutledge/Derren Brown/Keith Barry, etc.) mode (body language, subliminal communication, etc.)

I would agree, though, that mentalism really isn't for performers who have qualms about presenting what they do as "real."
mastermindreader
View Profile
V.I.P.
Seattle, WA
12590 Posts

Profile of mastermindreader
John Taylor-

Be sure to hook up with me in Jack's pub sometime during MindVention. I'd be happy to meet you and offer you suggestions and advice regarding the issues you raised in the OP.

Best-

Bob
(The advice is free, but if you find it useful you may buy me a drink!)
saysold1
View Profile
Eternal Order
Recovering Cafe addict with only
10391 Posts

Profile of saysold1
Quote:
On 2013-10-18 09:25, j100taylor wrote:
Danyel - great suggestions. I have been thinking along those lines myself. Although I have done walk-around at restaraunts I have never done a stage act. So I have been considering , as you said, volunteering to perform for my church. Also at our local pub, there is an open mike night - mainly for want to be comedians. But I don't think anyone would mind some mind reading, it would probably be funny anyway. Aslo thinking about Toastmasters as a way to develop a stage presence.

I veered towards the mentalist route about 7 years ago, having done & performed magic since age 12 or so. Because of my personality, it felt like a natural transition for me but I can relate to many of the challenges you mentioned.

I'm currently taking acting classes at a local community college (oldest in the class!), which I have found extremely helpful in understanding many critical elements of the stage, blocking and storytelling. Highly recommended.

Good luck and take care.
Creator of The SvenPad Supreme- "One of the most versatile and well made utility devices I have ever used. Highly recommended." Bob Cassidy www.SvenPads.com
John C
View Profile
Eternal Order
I THINK therefore I wrote
11516 Posts

Profile of John C
Quote:
On 2013-10-13 20:53, j100taylor wrote:
"Is he not the carpenter's son?" Mark 6:3...

Of course I am in no way comparing myself with Jesus. Just pointing out that even he couldn't perform miracles where he grew up!

Again I really appreciate everyone's support. Thanks!

he could perform miracles where he was from. He performed many. It was only when he made certain statements like eat my body drink my blood that the folks were taken aback. Then they were unbelieving.
The ULTIMATE Routine Series: rebirth soon!
Godzilla
View Profile
Inner circle
Tied & Untied Witches on
5318 Posts

Profile of Godzilla
[quote]On 2013-11-07 21:04, saysold1 wrote:
Quote:

I'm currently taking acting classes at a local community college (oldest in the class!), which I have found extremely helpful in understanding many critical elements of the stage, blocking and storytelling. Highly recommended.

Good for you,saysold1 ! Smile
This,is my next step too...
"If you watch Godzilla backwards, it's about a big ass lizard who helps rebuild a half burnt-down city, then moonwalks back into the ocean"
j100taylor
View Profile
Inner circle
1076 Posts

Profile of j100taylor
Quote:
On 2013-11-07 19:51, mastermindreader wrote:
John Taylor-

Be sure to hook up with me in Jack's pub sometime during MindVention. I'd be happy to meet you and offer you suggestions and advice regarding the issues you raised in the OP.

Best-

Bob
(The advice is free, but if you find it useful you may buy me a drink!)

I will definitely do that! I'll keep buying if you keep talking!

Flying out Saturday - looking forward to meeting all of you.

JT

PS John C - It was St Paul who made those claims - not Jesus, at least according to most scholars..
Lakewood, Ohio
sirbrad
View Profile
Inner circle
1996 Posts

Profile of sirbrad
Lots of exposure to magic or mentalism can make people smarter over time, which is why strangers are always the best audience. Especially those not used to seeing it. I never had that problem much though and also I don;t do magic for family or friends as often anymore. But if you have no problems baffling them with magic and only with mentalism, then maybe mentalism is not your thing or needs more work.
The great trouble with magicians is the fact that they believe when they have bought a certain trick or piece of apparatus, and know the method or procedure, that they are full-fledged mystifiers. -- Harry Houdini
SolidSnake
View Profile
Special user
534 Posts

Profile of SolidSnake
I can see where the OP is coming from. When I first started out - I was definitely a card guy through and through. I performed numerous card tricks to my friends and family.

When I first started my journey into mentalism and performed for family for the first time - it sucked. They thought I was still putting on a magic show for them and that is what they expected, they couldn't quite understand why I was trying to predict things etc

After a while though of performing mainly mentalism, even my friends and family begin to believe my patter. After all, they are not trained magicians - they are not buying books and dvds. My patter fits my personality - I havn't suddenly started saying that I'm psychic or anything, I talk about how I have studied psychology, micro expressions etc and then do my mind reading or metal bending. Even stuff like metal bending - that doesn't quite fit with my pseudo explanations - goes down very well now with friends and family.

But to be honest with you - performing for friends and family was really my first step to getting performing experience. For me, what my customers think is what is important. I still advertise with magician in my adverts (magician of the mind) - for various reasons to do with the UK market and what I am aiming for. Because of this - I have to quickly show how I am not the typical magician doing magic tricks and it flies! You just have to be confident in what you are doing.
There is no holy grail!
Magical Dimensions
View Profile
Inner circle
5002 Posts

Profile of Magical Dimensions
It took me like 4 years to really shake the magician curse. People use to want to see magic and not mind reading because then knew I was a magic guy. But with time and drive, people now expect me to read their minds or do a reading.

Ray
myrealsphinx
View Profile
New user
Brazil
79 Posts

Profile of myrealsphinx
Quote:
On Oct 13, 2013, Mindpro wrote:
Your performing for people who know you are not a mentalist. You're simply trying to fool them. That's magic. Mentalism is not about fooling or challenging anyone. This is the same problem beginners to hypnosis regularly experience is the people they initially try to hypnotize are family and friends, which is the absolute worst audience possible. It almost guarantees failure, because they know and don't see you as "a hypnotist".

I applaud you for your keen sense of observation and awareness and of course honesty. It could also be you are performing mentalism from a magic point of view.? See you at MV.

Yeah.. what you mean to audience is the most important thing in this case
GaMind
View Profile
New user
Atlanta, GA
73 Posts

Profile of GaMind
As so many have mentioned here, it is tough performing mentalism for family and friends. And for me, the more the routine moves towards the mind reading/parapsychology end of the spectrum, the harder they work to figure out the trick. Interestingly though, the more the routine veers toward spotting tells, muscle reading, and the like, the more they buy into my talent. They still work to figure it out -- but their solutions trend more towards trying to decide what they gave away or how I read them.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » I suck at mentalism. (3 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.16 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL