The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The little darlings » » SMM Pizza Box revisted (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
NocturnalMagic
View Profile
New user
96 Posts

Profile of NocturnalMagic
So like I have said in the prior post, I have a gig this week(first one in a few months). Was toying around with the Smokey Mountain Magic Pizza Box, and remebered that last time I used it, the xtra pizza did not get any kind of reaction. Almost to the point that I am not sure if it is even worth using. Here is a link to my last Pizza Box encounter, got great reactions everytime, but I do not have the lame 2nd pizza part. Any ideas? http://youtu.be/PhODOH8Ro_U
Robin4Kids
View Profile
Veteran user
Lower Alabama
396 Posts

Profile of Robin4Kids
I have always liked the crowd response you can get with sucker tricks, but never have cared much for the standard ending of having it reappear on your back. I have come up with different endings that seem to work better, but unfortunately I don't have the Pizza Box. If you have a dove pan that is large enough, you could come up with a routine where you have "baked" the pizza in the pan and "non-magically" remove it from the pan for a magical delivery in the pizza box. After it has "disappeared" you could have the extra pizza in the load part of the pan and have it reappear.

One thing I do in my Cereal Trix routine is after playing with the audience for a while, I admit that they have figured out my trick and then act just as surprised as them when it is not behind either door. That leads into me wanting to find it and proceeding to make it magically appear.
gmsmagic1
View Profile
Elite user
405 Posts

Profile of gmsmagic1
If you find that the pizza box routine is getting stale on you, Dan has several other themes that you can adapt to your pizza box prop using laminated decals he provides. He has themes like Halloween, Basketball, Money, etc..

For example, I converted my pizza boxes into a bakery oven and converted my pizza into a huge cookie. I then combined this routine with my Run Cookie Monster Run routine. So where did the cookie go in the end everyone asks? No, not my back! Well logically, after it was baked, it was taken to the bakery. But I then explain to the kids that there is one major problem. The Cookie Monster lives next door to the bakery and he keeps stealing the cookies from the bakery and somehow hides them in this bag (change bag). I show them the bag, and sure enough, there is the missing big cookie! I then proceed to demonstrate how the cookie monster keeps stealing cookies from the bakery, asking the kids to help me stop him since stealing is bad. And in the end when the cookie monster disappears, I have him logically reappear from the same bag along with a whole pile of cookies that I dump into a bowl on the table that he supposedly stole from the bakery!

- Gary
NocturnalMagic
View Profile
New user
96 Posts

Love the idea, but my name is the Great Cannoli, so the pizza fits well. I will have to jst sit down and brainstorm I guess. Thanx for the advice.
gmsmagic1
View Profile
Elite user
405 Posts

Profile of gmsmagic1
Well Great Cannoli, here are a couple other ideas to add some spice to the over-used pizza on your back outcome. You could invite the birthday kid up, or any other volunteer to help you search for the pizza, and have it appear on their back instead of yours.

Or here's another idea I just thought up. When the pizza disappears, have a volunteer look inside a large empty change bag. Then have them sprinkle some magic parmesan cheese (or yellow glitter), magic flour (white glitter or pieces of white paper) and invisible magic pizza sauce (could be red glitter) into the bag. Then have them wave the magic pizza dough roller over the bag. And low and behold, have them reach into the bag and produce the missing pizza! And of course act shocked and ask them how they did it so that the applause is for them (and the sting of the sucker trick is removed).

Note: The pizza provided will fit into a medium sized change bag if you insert and remove it from the bottom zippered compartment.

- Gary
Al Angello
View Profile
Eternal Order
Collegeville, Pa. USA
11047 Posts

Profile of Al Angello
The pizza box trick is only as good as the magician presenting it. You routine lacks pizzas, you have no crowd control, and the second pizza stuck to your back (using double sided carpet tape) will provide the dramatic finish that you lack.

BTW your costume selection makes you look more like the janitor than the magician.

The gimmick is less than 25% of the trick, and the magician performing it supplies the remaining 75%.

If you do the trick the way Dan Wolfe does it in the demo you can't go wrong, but you are just going through the motions.
Al Angello The Comic Juggler/Magician
http://www.juggleral.com
http://home.comcast.net/~juggleral/
"Footprints on your ceiling are almost gone"
gmsmagic1
View Profile
Elite user
405 Posts

Profile of gmsmagic1
Ouch Al, that was harsh! You make some very valid points, but you better hope that the Great Cannoli doesn't have mafia ties. Smile

I did laugh at your "lacks pizzas" comment though. I don't know if it was an intentional mis-spelling for "pizzazz", since he certainly doesn't lack pizzas.

By the way, Dan isn't exactly dressed any fancier, but he's just demonstrating this in his workshop.

I prefer to be constructive. Crowd control is definitely important here. If the kids can't leave their seats, it will even drive them more crazy trying to communicate to you. And instead of conveying the repetitive message "look how many times I can fool you!", I prefer acting like the bewildered magician in trouble that can't find the pizza and needs their help. It takes the sting off the sucker aspect. Try to be as passionate as the kids and play to the plot - not the props. Finally, even if you don't change your outfit, consider at least throwing on a chefs apron to cover up so that you get more into the spirit of the routine and your stage name. You could even wave a spatula at the kids if they get up! Smile
Al Angello
View Profile
Eternal Order
Collegeville, Pa. USA
11047 Posts

Profile of Al Angello
I have been doing the pizza box trick for several years, I made no comment on what Dan was wearing in his demo, and I am not an English teacher, which makes your spelling criticism kinda irrelevant. All of my constructive criticism is valid. I'm sorry if you are not comfortable with the honest truth.
gmsmagic1
View Profile
Elite user
405 Posts

Profile of gmsmagic1
Al, it never even crossed my mind that you would interpret my comment as criticism of your spelling since that wasn't even going through my mind at the time. To be honest, I gave you the benefit of the doubt that you intentionally spelled pizzazz like pizzas since I thought it was so clever. You say that it isn't relevant. On the contrary, the humor created by the double meaning is what made it completely relevant to the topic or I wouldn't have brought it up. It's really no big deal, but I'm sorry if you don't see the humor in it.

True, you didn't comment about Dan's attire. But you did suggest that he should do the trick the way Dan does it. That implies personality, execution and appearance since you weren't being specific. Dan has a great personality, so I have no arguments there. But he would be the first to admit that he isn't an entertainer, and there was nothing worth emulating in his execution of this trick since the pizza was rolling all over the place. But it also wasn't a fair comparison since he had no audience other than the buyer of his effect.

And you suggest that you were being constructive with your criticism. There is nothing whatsoever constructive in telling someone in a public forum that they lack pizzazz, control and look like a janitor. Those are comments more suited for a private message if you feel compelled to say anything. He was respectful enough to ask for ideas from his peers. I don't think he was looking for a bashing when he admitted that he was doing his first show in a few months.

- Gary
Al Angello
View Profile
Eternal Order
Collegeville, Pa. USA
11047 Posts

Profile of Al Angello
"Almost to the point that I am not sure if it is even worth using. Here is a link to my last Pizza Box encounter, got great reactions everytime, but I do not have the lame 2nd pizza part. Any ideas? http://youtu.be/PhODOH8Ro_U"

Gary
Once again I must disagree with you look at the quote at the top of this page and tell me once again this is a man who doesn't deserve hearing how he can turn hie $300 prop investment into gold? I don't really think that putting guild on the lilly is what he wanted to hear.
gmsmagic1
View Profile
Elite user
405 Posts

Profile of gmsmagic1
Maybe you're right Al. Unfortunately, it's easy to misinterpret others words through a computer screen. I interpreted his comment to mean that he's very content with the reactions he gets from his audience, but is simply looking for ideas on how to use the spare pizza in the end. He wasn't asking how he could make his overall routine different. I Probably would have PM'd him and said while he's gotten good reactions in the past, if he's open to feedback, you have some ideas on how he could make it much better. That's all I was suggesting.

I prefer to take caution when others feelings are involved, but even I make mistakes since my compliment to you was interpreted by you as criticism. And for that I'm sorry.

It isn't for us to decide whether someone is worthy of something. I agreed with most of your comments by the way. I simply felt that it was more suited for a private message. In my opinion, anyone that loves entertaining kids is worthy of the props in our trade, especially if they aspire to improve.
Al Angello
View Profile
Eternal Order
Collegeville, Pa. USA
11047 Posts

Profile of Al Angello
Gary
He is using a top shelf prop, and having no success with it. His problem was a weak presentation, not enough crowd control, and an overall amateur look. If he had those three items covered this prop would kill every time. If you look back at Dan Wolfe's presentation you will notice that all of the magic comes from Dan.

It is the magician and not the prop that performs the magic.
gmsmagic1
View Profile
Elite user
405 Posts

Profile of gmsmagic1
Again, I'm not disagreeing with your feedback, and I believe that your intentions are good. I just prefer being more sensitive in how I deliver the message.

Dan is a creative genius, incredibly talented craftsman, and puts out top quality magic props. Enough said regarding him.
NocturnalMagic
View Profile
New user
96 Posts

Funny, it was the first time ever using the prop. Sorry I look like a janitor to you, but you seem to be one filled with the beilef you are high and mighty compared to any one else. I preformed for one of the biggest elementary schools here last year, and was invited back by the principle, as for the reactions my lack of pizzaz got. I get fine reactions with the prop, was looking for help if the ending. Thanx for your ideas Gary, they will be noted. As for your comments Al, well I will be the bigger man here.

Posted: Oct 14, 2013 8:11pm
And Al, after rereading your comments, you still missed the point of the post. I never said I was taking the prop out of my show. You took my text out of content. I was referring to not using the second pizza, for it failed to get the response that the box itself gets. Like I said earlier, it was the first time with the box, I did not ask you to tear me up, or compare your act to mine. I came here for some tips, a mistake I will not be making again.

Posted: Oct 14, 2013 8:16pm
And by no way shape and form am I the greatest, but you saying I lack Pizzaz is comical after watching this beauty http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=29Ep0kvDRtM#t=130. ROFL, I feel much better after watching this.
Al Angello
View Profile
Eternal Order
Collegeville, Pa. USA
11047 Posts

Profile of Al Angello
Well first you ask for advise and then you turn into a pizzing contest. Did my costume meet your obviously high standards????? LOL

With only 39 posts picking a fight with me will not help you make friends around here.
Dynamike
View Profile
Eternal Order
FullTimer
24098 Posts

Profile of Dynamike
Quote:
On 2013-10-13 18:37, NocturnalMagic wrote:
Was toying around with the Smokey Mountain Magic Pizza Box, and remebered that last time I used it, the xtra pizza did not get any kind of reaction. Almost to the point that I am not sure if it is even worth using.

I use Run Dino Run. The dinosaur does appear on my back at the end. I encourage the kids to tell me where it is after it disappears, before I turn around. Here are my words: "Mikey is gone. If any of you see Mikey in your backyard you call me and let me know you see him." It helps loosens up the kids to point and yell it is on my back when I turn around. If you add a line similar to, "If you kids see the pizza again, please let me know where it is." That will help out with receiving interactions.

Ok, Gary, what did I post wrong?

Quote:
On 2013-10-13 23:56, Robin4Kids wrote:
One thing I do in my Cereal Trix routine is after playing with the audience for a while, I admit that they have figured out my trick and then act just as surprised as them when it is not behind either door. That leads into me wanting to find it and proceeding to make it magically appear.

If you are looking for a way to have it come back, let me know. I will send you a PM. I use a routine similar to Sucker Sliding Die Box.

By the way, Gary, what are my damages?

Quote:
On 2013-10-14 11:18, gmsmagic1 wrote:
Finally, even if you don't change your outfit, consider at least throwing on a chefs apron to cover up so that you get more into the spirit of the routine and your stage name.

Mike, Gary listed a good idea here. I bet Gary would not have posted that idea without Al's post. Mike, be prepared to accept post like Al's on the Café. We do not mean any harm. We just want to help. You will notice a lot of straight facts being posted. Everything can not be sugar coated.
NocturnalMagic
View Profile
New user
96 Posts

Dear mike,
I totally have no problem with people who have been doing this longer passing on their wisdom. But an outright public bashing and warning me not to get into a ****ing contest is rude and a joke. We discussed my idea for the fish/dove pan with nothing of this sort. I am a poker dealer/tournament floorperson, shift boss. I deal with the public all day long, and never am I rude just beacuse I have more knowledge the 99% of the people in the world when it comes to poker. Saying I dress like a janitor, really? Talking about pizzaz when he is monotone? Crowd contol may be an issue I agree, but @ least I am getting a frenzy of exctiment, not a room of silence. I do like the apron idea as well. And I was hoping for people like Gary's insight. And for the record, please watch the clip I posted of him. His avatar is in this neat outfit and I was thinking like *** this guy might be on to something. Then I watch his video in all black dress clothes, like he is going to a funeral, which makes sense when you watch his reactions to the pizza box.
Al Angello
View Profile
Eternal Order
Collegeville, Pa. USA
11047 Posts

Profile of Al Angello
Yes by all means when you can't handle with the message attack the messenger.
NocturnalMagic
View Profile
New user
96 Posts

Far from attacking you, just making a observation. Don't take it personally, grow from it.
Al Angello
View Profile
Eternal Order
Collegeville, Pa. USA
11047 Posts

Profile of Al Angello
I hope you figure out how to use that expensive self working pizza box trick some day.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The little darlings » » SMM Pizza Box revisted (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.23 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL