The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Nothing up my sleeve... » » Three new topics (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

gregg webb
View Profile
Inner circle
1564 Posts

Profile of gregg webb
Hi, and was thinking of several topics, take your pick. They probably have to do with magic in general but I like coins. One is that everybody is different and what works for one guy doesn't always work for someone else, and vice versa. I know that hearing this helped me in the beginning. And, since everyone is different, there are really no right ways and wrong ways except if you try to use some method that doesn't suit you...but it may work for other people. (There are actually categories of personality types - for instance some guys like to work slow and deliberate and others like fast moves, etc.) Another topic is the idea of closure in the context of a vanish of any object, perhaps a coin. If you produce the coin again after a vanish, or even produce a duplicate, the audience achieves closure. If not, they'll keep wondering where it went and may stumble on the correct solution if they stick at it long enough. Therefore the idea of closure which I learned from Ken Krenzel is, I think, a good one.
Finally, in these posts or in any writing all we can do is try to communicate what works for us. When anyone 'holds court' or acts like there are right ways and wrong ways may not be aware of how different ways work for different people. Just a little food for thought based on some thoughts that ran through my mind recently. Best, Gregg Webb
Michael Rubinstein
View Profile
V.I.P.
4675 Posts

Profile of Michael Rubinstein
Interesting. You are right in that what works for one may not work for another. Bertini has a way, for example, that fits his own style. It might be completely wrong for another. Although there may be no right way, the difference between the right way and the wrong way is that the wrong way tips your method. Although there may be no right way, there is often a better way. Looking for that way makes us all better.
S.E.M. (The Sun, the Moon, and the Earth) is a sun and moon routine unlike any other. Limited to 100 sets, here is the promo:
https://youtu.be/aFuAWCNEuOI?si=ZdDUNV8lUPWvtOcL
$325 ppd USA (Shipping extra outside of USA). If interested, shoot me an email for ordering information at rubinsteindvm@aol.com
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27300 Posts

Profile of Jonathan Townsend
I try to add "for audiences" to "works for you" in topic one.

No idea about closure within the performed routine. IIRC Roth's Tuning Fork routine ends with all six coins gone - leaving just the ...

Agreed on item three.

:)
...to all the coins I've dropped here
frankvomit
View Profile
Elite user
485 Posts

Profile of frankvomit
Think I gotta go with the doc as far as wrong way is the one that tips the method. I guess I semi agree with there being no real right way when you talk presentation and routine goes that does sort of have to fall on the individual. But I don't believe it's necessarily the effect. I've tried some stuff that didn't work for some people and thought maybe it wasn't for me then try the same thing for someone else and it goes really well. So what was said a out what's right for the audience and every audience is different which would be a more accurate way to put it. Ultimately the idea is to perform entertainment so whatever you do be entertaining.
David Neighbors
View Profile
V.I.P.
4911 Posts

Profile of David Neighbors
Yea I know some stuff Just does Work for some people! Smile I had One Non-card & coin Routine That I tried To do for over a Year! And it never Got anything! Smile But I saw the guy who came up with it Kill With it! So some times no matter How much time you have into it You just Have to toss it away!!!
David Neighbors
the coinjurer
www.daveneighbors.com
Atom3339
View Profile
Inner circle
Spokane, WA
3242 Posts

Profile of Atom3339
Very good points!
TH

Occupy Your Dream
gregg webb
View Profile
Inner circle
1564 Posts

Profile of gregg webb
Thanks for the interesting replies, guys. I was thinking about the different personality types of the performer, but it surely is true that the viewers have different personality types too. For example, one of the hardest audiences to show anything to are magicians's wives ! They know too much and often don't like magic because I guess they feel that the hubby is ignoring them when he practices or studies magic. Don't feel bad if this strikes a chord, because it is the same with musicians's wives about when the husband or boyfriend practices. I used to work between sets with bands and guitarists's wives and girlfriends would always say "He loves his guitar more than he does me," which is sad and actually not true. It is a different kind of love. Same with magic. And, back to magic, some viewers think magic is supposed to be comedy-magic. They think they are helping to yell out jokes. Other people find it necessary to try to figure it out and yell out the solution or presumed solution. With my act between sets with a band, I'd play my canned music through the band's speakers loud and I had a track of applause that the sound man could fade up or out after each 'bit' all so I didn't have to hear the drunks and just do my best. Close-up is just a hobby with me, but I admire those that can handle people and not let the occasional oddball get to them because there really are all kinds of people out there. Sorry. Run-on sentences again. Best, Gregg Webb
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Nothing up my sleeve... » » Three new topics (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL