The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Al Gore ~ Twitter, Who Knew? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Devious
View Profile
Inner circle
2120 Posts

Profile of Devious
Our former vice-president tried to purchase Twitter it seems.
Twiddle Dee

He sold his Current TV Media to Al Jazeera not too long ago. One wonders if this
failed campaign had succeeded, would he have also sold this enterprise as well?

Devious Deceptions
"Gadol Elohai!"
L'Chaim!
Slide
View Profile
Special user
533 Posts

Profile of Slide
Good old al. Talk about the power of government investment. Clinton and gores investment in arpanet directly created the internet. Talk about good debt . Thank god for the democratic party.
LobowolfXXX
View Profile
Inner circle
La Famiglia
1192 Posts

Profile of LobowolfXXX
"directly created the Internet"?! Is that like going through the windshield that remained intact?
"Torture doesn't work" lol
Guess they forgot to tell Bill Buckley.

"...as we reason and love, we are able to hope. And hope enables us to resist those things that would enslave us."
Bob1Dog
View Profile
Inner circle
Wife: It's me or this houseful of
1159 Posts

Profile of Bob1Dog
Smile
What if the Hokey Pokey really IS what it's all about? Smile

My neighbor rang my doorbell at 2:30 a.m. this morning, can you believe that, 2:30 a.m.!? Lucky for him I was still up playing my drums.
balducci
View Profile
Loyal user
Canada
230 Posts

Profile of balducci
Quote:
On 2013-10-17 20:12, LobowolfXXX wrote:

"directly created the Internet"?! Is that like going through the windshield that remained intact?

I was going to call him on that and had a message entered, but then I deleted it.

Clinton certainly did not "create" the internet.

Neither did Gore.

But Gore did a heck of a lot more to develop it than his detractors give him credit for.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Al_Gore_and......chnology

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/High_Perfor......_of_1991
Make America Great Again! - Trump in 2020 ... "We're a capitalistic society. I go into business, I don't make it, I go bankrupt. They're not going to bail me out. I've been on welfare and food stamps. Did anyone help me? No." - Craig T. Nelson, actor.
mastermindreader
View Profile
V.I.P.
Seattle, WA
12589 Posts

Profile of mastermindreader
It is accurate, though, to state that Gore's legislative activities were critical to the creation of the Internet.
General_Magician
View Profile
Special user
United States
707 Posts

Profile of General_Magician
The internet was initially a Cold War project so that universities, scientists and researchers could communicate with each other. I can't remember all the details, but the internet has been around for a long time, long before it came into common use by ordinary everyday people. I think part of the reason for the creation of the internet was to also to be able to continue communication in the aftermath of a hypothetical nuclear war with the Soviets. So, the origins of the internet came from research and defense needs during the Cold War.
"Never fear shadows. They simply mean there is a light shining somewhere nearby." -unknown

Company Website
Facebook Business Page
Twitter Business Page
balducci
View Profile
Loyal user
Canada
230 Posts

Profile of balducci
Quote:
On 2013-10-17 20:52, General_Magician wrote:

The internet was initially a Cold War project so that universities, scientists and researchers could communicate with each other. I can't remember all the details, but the internet has been around for a long time, long before it came into common use by ordinary everyday people. I think part of the reason for the creation of the internet was to also to be able to continue communication in the aftermath of a hypothetical nuclear war with the Soviets. So, the origins of the internet came from research and defense needs during the Cold War.

The latter part of the cold war, circa 1968-1969, is when ARPANET was deployed.

Regarding the nuclear war bit: "Common ARPANET lore posits that the computer network was designed to survive a nuclear attack. In A Brief History of the Internet, the Internet Society describes the coalescing of the technical ideas that produced the ARPANET: It was from the RAND study that the false rumor started, claiming that the ARPANET was somehow related to building a network resistant to nuclear war. This was never true of the ARPANET, only the unrelated RAND study on secure voice considered nuclear war."

Guys who are credited with working on ARPANET when it started, and who are credited as being "Fathers of the Internet", credit Gore with activity going back to the 1970s in support of it:

"Of Gore's involvement in the then-developing Internet while in Congress, Internet pioneers Vint Cerf and Bob Kahn have also noted that, 'As far back as the 1970s Congressman Gore promoted the idea of high-speed telecommunications as an engine for both economic growth and the improvement of our educational system.'"
Make America Great Again! - Trump in 2020 ... "We're a capitalistic society. I go into business, I don't make it, I go bankrupt. They're not going to bail me out. I've been on welfare and food stamps. Did anyone help me? No." - Craig T. Nelson, actor.
balducci
View Profile
Loyal user
Canada
230 Posts

Profile of balducci
Quote:
On 2013-10-17 18:09, Devious wrote:

Our former vice-president tried to purchase Twitter it seems.
Twiddle Dee

Anyone here planning to purchase shares of Twitter stock once it starts trading in mid-November?
mastermindreader
View Profile
V.I.P.
Seattle, WA
12589 Posts

You're referring to ARPANET. Use the links balducci gave above to learn how Gore was involved in developing the Internet as we know it today.

Some excerpts:

Quote:

The High Performance Computing Act of 1991 (HPCA) is an Act of Congress promulgated in the 102nd United States Congress as (Pub.L. 102–194) on 1991-12-09. Often referred to as the Gore Bill,[1] it was created and introduced by then Senator Albert Gore, Jr., and led to the development of the National Information Infrastructure and the funding of the National Research and Education Network (NREN)...

Senator Al Gore developed the Act[1] after hearing the 1988 report Toward a National Research Network[6] submitted to Congress by a group chaired by UCLA professor of computer science Leonard Kleinrock, one of the creators of the ARPANET, which is regarded as the eve network of the Internet.[7]

The bill was enacted on 1991-12-09 and led to the National Information Infrastructure (NII)[8] which Gore referred to as the "Information superhighway". President George H. W. Bush predicted that the Act would help "unlock the secrets of DNA," open up foreign markets to free trade, and a promise of cooperation between government, academia, and industry.[9]

Among the many technological achievements that resulted from the funding of the Gore Bill, was the development of Mosaic in 1993,[5][10] the World Wide Web browser software which is credited by most scholars as beginning the Internet boom of the 1990s...
mastermindreader
View Profile
V.I.P.
Seattle, WA
12589 Posts

For those who continue to spread the misinformation regarding Gore's alleged claim to have invented the Internet, the following, from the same source quoted above, should set the record straight:

Quote:
Following a 1999 CNN interview Gore became the subject of some controversy and ridicule when his expression "I took the initiative in creating the Internet"[13] was widely quoted out of context, indeed often misquoted, by comedians and the popular media who took his expression to be a claim that he personally had invented the Internet.[14]

Gore's actual words were widely reaffirmed by notable Internet pioneers, such as Vint Cerf and Bob Kahn, who stated, "No one in public life has been more intellectually engaged in helping to create the climate for a thriving Internet than the Vice President"

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/High_Perfor......nterview
MaxfieldsMagic
View Profile
Inner circle
Instead of practicing, I made
2989 Posts

Profile of MaxfieldsMagic
SPOILER ALERT:

From Gore's obituary in 2048:

"Vice President Gore's lifetime of public service ultimately culminated in the creation of TheMagicCafe.com."
Now appearing nightly in my basement.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Al Gore ~ Twitter, Who Knew? (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.16 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL