The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Books, Pamphlets & Lecture Notes » » Not the worst dilemma (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Torquay22
View Profile
Loyal user
271 Posts

Profile of Torquay22
What should I choose definitive sankey or art of astonishment
Vlad_77
View Profile
Inner circle
The Netherlands
5829 Posts

Profile of Vlad_77
Yikes, THAT is a TOUGH question! Both are phenomenal. I would suggest this however: look at your library and see whose magic you have more of. Harris and Sankey have very different approaches as you know and both have released classics. That said, the market is flooded with a LOT of Sankey stuff whereas it seems that Paul Harris has turned to mainly producing effects from others of late so depending on your library and the number of Sankey material that is easily obtainable, I would advise AoA first.

Another suggestion:

I've seen the Art of Astonishment volumes go for ridiculously low prices here on the Café. These were at publication 45 USD each and I've seen the 3 volume set sell for as low as 65 USD for all. The Sankey books are newer and I haven't seen many of these for sale below the suggested retail price. So, if cash is not too big a deal but you can't afford both sets at full price, I would suggest getting The Definitive Sankey from Vanishing, Inc, and waiting for an AoA set to go on sale. If cash is NO problem, then you have no dilemma at all - get both. While Sankey has turned into a marketing machine, The Definitive Sankey contains GREAT magic and IMHO most of his very best. Art of Astonishment is already a classic IMHO. Either or both will give you years of study. In fact, it's almost a toss a coin proposition. Smile
Blindside785
View Profile
Inner circle
Olympia, WA
4541 Posts

Profile of Blindside785
Depends on your context, what kind of magic works best for you and what magic do you need in your sets?
Torquay22
View Profile
Loyal user
271 Posts

Profile of Torquay22
Thanks vlad I have taken your advice and bought AoA and with Christmas round the corner hopefully I'll get definitive sankey too
Vlad_77
View Profile
Inner circle
The Netherlands
5829 Posts

Profile of Vlad_77
Quote:
On 2013-10-19 05:43, Torquay22 wrote:
Thanks vlad I have taken your advice and bought AoA and with Christmas round the corner hopefully I'll get definitive sankey too

You bet! I'm sure Father Christmas will be very kind to you!
Torquay22
View Profile
Loyal user
271 Posts

Profile of Torquay22
Quote:
On 2013-10-19 07:19, Vlad_77 wrote:
Quote:
On 2013-10-19 05:43, Torquay22 wrote:

You bet! I'm sure Father Christmas will be very kind to you!

haha
motown
View Profile
Inner circle
Atlanta by way of Detroit
6136 Posts

Profile of motown
You can't go wrong with either.
"If you ever write anything about me after I'm gone, I will come back and haunt you."
– Karl Germain
Peo Olsson
View Profile
Inner circle
Stockholm, Sweden
3260 Posts

Profile of Peo Olsson
All that matters is your own oppinion what style you like.
Pictured to the left my hero and me during FISM 2006 in Stockholm.
Dr. JK
View Profile
Inner circle
Sandusky, OH
1191 Posts

Profile of Dr. JK
Bad news, Torquay: You have listened to the wise advice of Vlad! I, too, inquired of him whether I should buy the AoA series as one of my first book purchases. That was three years ago this month. I bought that series, and then the spending never stopped! I have become a much better magician (both in knowledge and performance), and have disposed of a lot more money! Good luck to you, and have fun. I envy you seeing these books for the first time!!
- Jeff Kowalk, The Psychic CPA
www.youtube.com/eruditemagic
IG: @erudite.magic
FB: @eruditemagic
Vlad_77
View Profile
Inner circle
The Netherlands
5829 Posts

Profile of Vlad_77
Quote:
On 2013-10-20 09:31, Dr. JK wrote:
Bad news, Torquay: You have listened to the wise advice of Vlad! I, too, inquired of him whether I should buy the AoA series as one of my first book purchases. That was three years ago this month. I bought that series, and then the spending never stopped! I have become a much better magician (both in knowledge and performance), and have disposed of a lot more money! Good luck to you, and have fun. I envy you seeing these books for the first time!!

:lol: Thanks Jeff - I think!! If it's any consolation, I've listened to advice and my so-called bank account definitely reveals it, but, everything has been and is priceless. Heck, you've suggested books to me, so, what goes around comes around brother! Smile
Dr. JK
View Profile
Inner circle
Sandusky, OH
1191 Posts

Profile of Dr. JK
It was definitely intended as a compliment to you! Sorry if that wasn't clear. It's been an awesome three years. Thanks for all your advice over that period! I look forward to many more years of collaboration. Let me know next time you plan to be in the Southeast of the US!
- Jeff Kowalk, The Psychic CPA
www.youtube.com/eruditemagic
IG: @erudite.magic
FB: @eruditemagic
nooner
View Profile
Regular user
187 Posts

Profile of nooner
The best "value" for the current asking price would be, in my opinion, the Art of Astonishment set which I have seen sold for $65 as Vlad says. Both sets are loaded with enough varied material to keep you busy for years.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Books, Pamphlets & Lecture Notes » » Not the worst dilemma (0 Likes)
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL