The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Grand illusion » » Approaching Shop Classes (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

magictim
View Profile
Veteran user
Lake Charles, LA
396 Posts

Profile of magictim
I have heard of many who approach school shop classes to build illusions. How do you go about doing this and keeping as much secrecy as possible? I am taking vocational classes next term in woodworking. Has anyone here been able to get help from classes like these?
mvmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
Has written
1322 Posts

Profile of mvmagic
I have had props made in schools from time to time. In here (Finland that is) one can have things made for the cost of the materials only. I arranged a meeting with the woodshop teacher, explaining the secret nature of the project. We made a deal that different parts of a given prop were made in different classes by different people. Like in my assistant’s revenge, the gimmicked part was built but not assembled (not even hinges) and the base and roof sections were made separately. Then I just finished the illusion myself. The teacher was very helpful in breaking the blueprints into sections for me. My Wakeling sawing was made in two different schools, or actually two different units of the same school. Again the helpful teacher had his fingers on this.

If you’re taking classes in woodworking, you just have to check whether you can make a project of your own or is there a mandatory thing to do (when I took woodworking as extra credit in high school, we were forced to make a chair.)

You just have to contact a school and check whether they do subcontract work or in general outside projects.

I believe, that you can negotiate a deal like I did that the true nature of the props remains a secret.

Best of luck!

:sawingchick:
Sent from my Typewriter
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Grand illusion » » Approaching Shop Classes (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL