The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Ballooning 101 » » How much should I ask for? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

asgar
View Profile
Elite user
409 Posts

Profile of asgar
I can make basic Balloon animals and am great with kids.I am getting some offers fonly for Balloon sculptures.How much should I ask for?A balloon costs almost 4 cents here.
Magic is believing in yourself, if you can do that, you can make anything happen.
Dollarbill
View Profile
Inner circle
Colorado
1005 Posts

Profile of Dollarbill
Is it for a party? If you charge by the hour I think you'd be better off. Im a beginner but that's what I've learned about some begining twisting here. Hopefully you'll get a pm from one of the professionals here.

Someone please put me in check if I'm wrong here. Smile
asgar
View Profile
Elite user
409 Posts

Profile of asgar
Birthday parties.I think there should be a base charge and then extra depending on how many I have top make.I am expecting a number guys.Please quote one.I have to get an idea.
Magic is believing in yourself, if you can do that, you can make anything happen.
Dollarbill
View Profile
Inner circle
Colorado
1005 Posts

Profile of Dollarbill
I googled ballon animal entertainment and found one girl charging $135 for the first hour and $45 for every half hour after that. Maybe try googling and find someone in your local area to get an idea of what people are charging locally.
iwillfoolu
View Profile
Special user
Upstate NY, USA
746 Posts

Profile of iwillfoolu
The short answer is to charge as much as the market will bear.

With no information about what area of the country you are performing in, it would really be unfair to give you any information about pricing. In NYC, for example, you're not going to find anybody for under $100 (OK maybe a kid who does it for pocket money). In rural West Virginia, you'll find a lot of guys that work for $20 or tips only.

Rates in my area range from $85 for an hour up to almost $300 an hour. I can tell you that the premium twister is ten times better at balloons and entertaining that the budget twister.

You have to charge a price that YOU come up with and that YOUR clients are comfortable paying. This is based on a number of factors:
Price of balloons
Cost of gasoline/public transportation
Your Experience and training
The cost of living in your area
The demand for balloon twisters in your area
The other suppliers
Your marketing materials
Your likability
Your salesmanship
Your phone skills
Your interpersonal skills
Your problem solving skills
Your patience with disruptive and destructive kids
The kinds of place you want to work

Set an introductory price. If nobody hires you then it might be too high (or you might not have very good phone skills). If everybody hires you then you need to raise them (it was just an introductory price, remember?).

Joey D
Magician and Balloon Twister
New York Magicians
Magician New York
TKD27
View Profile
Elite user
Wallingford, CT
458 Posts

Profile of TKD27
I know that I can do about 15 sculptures in an hour, so I make sure that parents know this when they book me. With that in mind, most people I know charge between $100 and $200 an hour. So there's no "extra for more balloons," it's just $XXX per hour, with about 15 sculptures made per hour.

That should help you start your pricing off. Once you start getting a lot of calls, I recommend considering what Ken Scott once said, which is that you should be book about 70% of the calls you get. If you are booking 100% of your inquiries, your prices are too low. If you're booking 50%, your prices are too high. This will help you figure out what your market with tolerate Smile
Leland
View Profile
Inner circle
St Louis
1180 Posts

Profile of Leland
Having no idea where you are, in experience or area, I can only tell you that from my personal experience I was paid $50 for my first job. It was for a friends daughter I did it only for the experience and Mom gave me $50 for a little over 1 hours worth of work. That was my starting point. Wasnt to long after that I started charging $75 then moved on up as I became comfortable with my Balloons and my value.

Start where you're comfortable then move on up...
Life of Magic!
Paddy
View Profile
Inner circle
Milford OH
1571 Posts

Profile of Paddy
Asgar, did you get my PM where I told you what I charge? A tip, if you quote a price and you know the customer just swallowed their undies, then tell them But I can discount for you. Then start to deal. As someone said if you book all your quotes, you're too low. You should book about 75% of your bids.
Non Impediti Ratione Cogitationis

I reject your reality & substitute my own

http://www.Scho-Lan.com
Paddy
View Profile
Inner circle
Milford OH
1571 Posts

Profile of Paddy
Asgar, did you get my PM where I told you what I charge? A tip, if you quote a price and you know the customer just swallowed their undies, then tell them But I can discount for you. Then start to deal. As someone said if you book all your quotes, you're too low. You should book about 75% of your bids.
Non Impediti Ratione Cogitationis

I reject your reality & substitute my own

http://www.Scho-Lan.com
asgar
View Profile
Elite user
409 Posts

Profile of asgar
Thanks for all the valuable advices and pms.The thing is I can only make basic structures.Do you guys still make basic dogs,elephants,giraffes,swords and stuff?What do you mostly make now?Looks like I am the only guy doing it in my city-Dhaka,Bangladesh.I have great people skills-(true)I am doing twisting for couple of years but unfortunately I was not getting the gigs till recently.
I am planning to hone my skills ASAP.I want to make things that can not be learned by anyone in few days.AS this is new should I take less money and say its a discount and raise the price as soon as I can make complex sculptures.I do juggling and vent too and I am again the only guy doing it.But as these are rare people and agencies are not open to these ideas I am not doing that well.Should I make a package out of these three?
We have some big parties here but they still they do not pay much to the magicians.There is a hard competition out here and even with these rare acts I am not hired because the agencies handle the artists and they already have their OWN MAGICIAN.I thought these new arts will open some doors but I guessed wrong.Any suggestions?
The idea of 75% is really great.I am booking almost 95% and know that I deserve more.
Leland
View Profile
Inner circle
St Louis
1180 Posts

Profile of Leland
If you know you deserve more, then you should charge more.

Make a commitment to add 1 new sculpture that will make you a better balloon twister. By creating better balloons you create a better market for yourself.
Life of Magic!
John C
View Profile
Eternal Order
I THINK therefore I wrote
12967 Posts

Profile of John C
$150 per hour.
The Mighty Fool
View Profile
Inner circle
I feel like a big-top tent having
2140 Posts

Profile of The Mighty Fool
My flat balloon fee is 100 an hour, but if people hire me for magic, and they want to add on balloons after the show, it's $90 for 90 minutes. That sounds like a great deal and often gets people to spring for both instead of one or the other.
Everybody wants to beleive.....we just help them along.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Ballooning 101 » » How much should I ask for? (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL