The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Magicians of old » » Vernon and Marlo (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

landmark
View Profile
Inner circle
within a triangle
4724 Posts

Profile of landmark
Did they talk? If so, what of, and when? How did they feel about each other?
Anatole
View Profile
Inner circle
1775 Posts

Profile of Anatole
I'm sure they talked. I do remember a story about Vernon being a little critical of Marlo when Marlo released "The Shank Shuffle." Vernon felt Ed was trying to steal some thunder from Herb Zarrow. I think Vernon mentioned that in one of his "Vernon Touch" columns in _GENII_. I don't know enough about the history of the two shuffles to offer an opinion one way or another, but I do have immense respect for Vernon's encyclopedic knowledge of magic.

As an aside, in the introduction to his monograph titled _Card Fan Productions_, Marlo comments that his book is the first in print that explains the continuous production of fans of cards. Does anyone know if that's true? The Thurston _Card Tricks_ book explained the production of single cards, but not fans of cards. I'm not sure off-hand whether Ganson's _Expert Manipulation of Playing Cards_ came before or after Marlo's _Card Fan Productions_.

I'm familiar with two different editions of _Card Fan Productions_--one that showed photos of (I assume) Marlo's hands doing the moves, and the later one that showed line drawings of the moves.

----- Amado "Sonny" Narvaez
----- Sonny Narvaez
Jiceh
View Profile
Special user
France
742 Posts

Profile of Jiceh
Quote:
On 2013-10-19 21:13, landmark wrote:
Did they talk? If so, what of, and when? How did they feel about each other?

In a DVD (Ed Marlo: It’s All In The Cards) about Marlo, you can see Dai Vernon, Charlie Miller and Ed Marlo talking at a convention.

Bonus historic footage of Ed Marlo, Charlie Miller and Dai Vernon at the Magic Castle in the Palace of Mystery. Circa 1983 filmed by James Lewis.
motown
View Profile
Inner circle
Atlanta by way of Detroit
5838 Posts

Profile of motown
I recall them being at an Abbott's Get-Together.
"If you ever write anything about me after I'm gone, I will come back and haunt you."
– Karl Germain
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
26974 Posts

Profile of Jonathan Townsend
There's a Zarrow focused issue of Genii Magazine.
I got the sense they had different motivations - for your amusement: a conjecture
Vernon wanted to seek out and assemble the finest in magic. Marlo wanted to be acknowledged as one of the innovators in fine magic.
Where Vernon would notice Arthur Finley's Tent Vanish and add that to his Ace Assembly later published in The Stars of Magic, Marlo would explore and find what he felt best and later publish manuscripts. Vernon heard of John Ramsay and went to meet the guy - see the Ganson books. Marlo explored coin magic and we have Coining Magic as an outcome. There's some mention of Vernon and the Silent Mora ball vanish. Vernon's addition of the drummer's wand spin, that Vernon Touch (TM?), made the difference between a good vanish and what we know today.
...to all the coins I've dropped here
landmark
View Profile
Inner circle
within a triangle
4724 Posts

Profile of landmark
What I have such a hard time understanding is how a man with Vernon's passion for detail and teaching could be so little interested in documenting that detail in writing. Did he think that it could only be taught through oral transmission? Compare, say, to Stanislavsky.
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
26974 Posts

Profile of Jonathan Townsend
Howie Schwartzman likely recalls the guy directly. Probably both of them. Darwin Ortiz was studying Marlo's work at a time when the zarrow was just published by Fulves. Fulves might have a few things to say on topic if you send him a stamped envelope. David Roth might have some insight to share if you ask him through his work. One could guess that the ganson book was a price paid for the Malibu and Leipzig books plus the aacm contributions. That is, he was not so interested in teaching tricks in print so much as finding the best ways to do tricks.
...to all the coins I've dropped here
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Magicians of old » » Vernon and Marlo (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.2 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL