The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Coin bending on mind mysteries (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
shrink
View Profile
Inner circle
2609 Posts

Profile of shrink
So when are you releasing it Richard? Smile

Having magicians go Krazy is nice as long as it isn't you....
KapBoy77
View Profile
Loyal user
Ottawa, Canada
213 Posts

Profile of KapBoy77
No but really, what Mr. Osterlind said makes absolute sense! I was thinking exactly along those lines. It's awesome that you have an effect that you can truly call your own. I was just wondering, are there many pet tricks out there?

Andre
Any day I'm walking on top of the grass instead of looking up at the roots is a good day!
owenscott
View Profile
Regular user
168 Posts

Profile of owenscott
Well a lot of Magi took the secrets to the grave. What might happen if you were to go "KRAZY" the secret would be lost .... Oh Noooooo ....... what might happen to our world.
You, Richard, should write this down and maybe make a video or two explaining it. Then seal it up with instructions to distrubute it to only your "closest friends" if you go crazy. That way it won't be lost if you go crazy or pass on.
You, Richard, my dearest, and "closest friend" are in luck. I just happen to have an opening in my security box for a couple of videos with instructions. I could, for free no less, store these for you. What do you say, ...... Smile .... say yes pleaseeeee,
Neal Roter
View Profile
Regular user
107 Posts

Profile of Neal Roter
Osterlind
I have to agree with you.
That will be wonderful...
Richard Osterlind
View Profile
V.I.P.
2213 Posts

Profile of Richard Osterlind
Quote:
On 2004-01-05 00:26, owenscott wrote:
Well alot of Magi took the secrets to the grave. What might happen if you were to go "KRAZY" the secret would be lost .... Oh Noooooo ....... what might happen to our world.
You, Richard, should write this down and maybe make a video or two explaining it. Then seal it up with instructions to distrubute it to only your "closest friends" if you go crazy. That way it wont be lost if you go crazy or pass on.
You, Richard, my dearest, and "closest friend" are in luck. I just happen to have an opening in my security box for a couple of videos with instructions. I could, for free no less, store these for you. What do you say, ...... Smile .... say yes pleaseeeee,

Too late. I have gone Krazy years ago. Smile
Neal Roter
View Profile
Regular user
107 Posts

Profile of Neal Roter
Could someone please describe the effect?
The Dvds are still on my list..
Sven Rygh
View Profile
Inner circle
Oslo, Norway.
1945 Posts

Profile of Sven Rygh
Quote:
On 2004-01-05 09:14, Neal Roter wrote:
Could someone please describe the effect?
The Dvds are still on my list..

He bends pennies. Period.

....well...probably better than anyone else in this world does.
tpdmagic
View Profile
Elite user
459 Posts

Profile of tpdmagic
Richard ,
AMEN...AMEN...(We need more of these kinds of effects, exclusive to particular magicians, to bring back the secret nature of our art and the sense of wonder that surrounded it). I have a very familiar view. I have a pet effect that I do and when I show other magicians, they always ask me to tip the secret. Well since I am a nobody as for the magic world knows I decided to keep it to myself. Not for any other reason than one day it will be where it belongs: hidden in a book...LOL! Part of the art is passing things down from generation to generation....

One of the best things that ever happend to me was just that. I worked at a local magic shop for a while and a well known performer would come in and show me stuff and I would show him stuff. Well one day he floored me with his in the hands truimph...O.K. there are tons of truimph routines but not like this, trust me...Anyway I begged him for 3 months to teach it to me. And he finally did with one condition. I teach it to noone untill he is gone.....There are only 3 people that do the truimph this way and I am very lucky to be one of them.....NOW that's MAGIC....

I believe that is the way to keep the secrets and the wonder but still pass on to the community.......

P.S. sorry for writing a book...LOL
*Bro*
View Profile
Loyal user
209 Posts

Profile of *Bro*
I agree with you Richard and have decided to curb my curiousity and vow to not create more buzz about this effect by posting more bent penny inquiries within the Café.
adolphus
View Profile
Loyal user
229 Posts

Profile of adolphus
Richard said he would "entertain us" before the workshop began. He borrowed some coins, and I knew what was coming next, so I watched him like a hawk. He was practically surrounded by us as he calmly sat on the table's edge and cleanly twisted the marked penny with his bare fingers, and then handed it out to us. I tried bending it myself - no go. He joked that he tips that trick only if the lectures start on time, and we were still waiting on someone! Smile He has them ALL going on that one, Palmer, Maven, Lesley...so, don't think we could figure it out any better than those guys.
"Unlike the mere Conjuror, the Mentalist reaches into that space which a hat normally covers. And from there, he withdraws something more fleeting - and at times, far fuzzier - than any rabbit"
hmk
View Profile
New user
uk
68 Posts

Profile of hmk
On the new marc paul dvd he does a very nice coin bend
under his anytime anyplace anywhere concept.well worth checking out.
good luck
hmk
espmagic
View Profile
Special user
907 Posts

Profile of espmagic
Oh, I love doing this...

I have used the "Bent Cent" concept along with Richard's idea of "taking a coin" from their hand - I have NEVER been caught. I have NEVER had a customer worry about the coin being marked (we are, after all, magicians who worry about being chased, which is why we over-prove everything). I have asked for a handful of change, and after the "selected" coin is bent, they ALWAYS love the fact that they can keep it. And, I have had a number of four-letter words uttered during the revelation stage of the effect. Not to mention the fact that a huge crowd of people doesn't have to see the coin bend; they only react to the person who is holding it...when *they* see the coin has bent in their own hand they usually scream, which causes everyone else to react. And, of course, the coin is passed around...remember, good lads, the "magic moment" is rarely seen, but the effect of the "magic" is the selling point!

Mark, you mentioned that you got the QB - care to email me so we can compare notes?

Lee
Lord Of The Horses
View Profile
Inner circle
5410 Posts

Profile of Lord Of The Horses
I, as you can expect, have used my PKoin.

Having the coin signed by a person could be VERY "magician's thinking" or not, depending on how you frame the whole thing. So I partially agree with Lee.

In PKoin, however, the idea is that I sign / initial their coin with my name as a memento of the moment, and only then I also sign / initial their name on the other side of their coin, as if it was a second thought, an optional thing (which infact it is!)

But, given the fact I can proceed both ways, giving them back their BENT coin with names / initials on BOTH sides is the option I like the most.

Paolo Cavalli
Then you'll rise right before my eyes, on wings that fill the sky, like a phoenix rising!
Dr_Stephen_Midnight
View Profile
Inner circle
SW Ohio, USA
1555 Posts

Profile of Dr_Stephen_Midnight
Stphotog,
You wrote:
"I have my own coin bending routine that I do a lot at Starbuck's"

Getting on a tangent, I have to ask: How do you approach Starbuck's guests when you perform?

I tried strolling at Starbucks once (I was cordial and polite; I always am when strolling), but got marked resistance (people didn't want to be 'bothered' by anyone).

Of course, THIS Starbuck's was one within a Barnes & Noble Booksellers, so that may have made the difference.

Feedback?

Steve
Dr. Lao: "Do you know what wisdom is?"
Mike: "No."
Dr. Lao: "Wise answer."
Hypnotic Winter
View Profile
Special user
Ireland
720 Posts

Profile of Hypnotic Winter
Interetingly I have come up with a few methods of bending coins gimmick free and one looks like Mr osterlinds and leves you as clean, but here is the thing, I have never been thought or learned how to bend coins from any books or DVD's, I simply used methods that are already known and pieced them together to create several variations, I'm sure nearly every one on the Café has done much the same pre psi series, and I doubt what I have come up with is origional.

H.W
When your only reality is an illusion, then illusion is reality.
adolphus
View Profile
Loyal user
229 Posts

Profile of adolphus
Paolo - maybe you can have the coin signer draw her zodiac sign, a rune, or some other shady diversion upon the coin. Or secretly have her chose among 12 coin with the signs already upon them. So you can do a cognition, & reading to boot. Then tie in your acute perception with the physical phenom of the coin bending in hand. This would deflect any bunnypuller aspects of having a coin signed.

Hypnotic Winter - if you, in essence, are able to duplicate Richard's Penny Bend by only combining published odds n' ends, then you've solved something that has stumped many "names" n' brains! (Including those who've contributed many of those odds n' ends) Smile
"Unlike the mere Conjuror, the Mentalist reaches into that space which a hat normally covers. And from there, he withdraws something more fleeting - and at times, far fuzzier - than any rabbit"
Lord Of The Horses
View Profile
Inner circle
5410 Posts

Quote:
On 2004-09-30 14:57, adolphus wrote:
Paolo - maybe you can have the coin signer draw her zodiac sign, a rune, or some other shady diversion upon the coin. Or secretly have her chose among 12 coin with the signs already upon them. So you can do a cognition, & reading to boot. Then tie in your acute perception with the physical phenom of the coin bending in hand.

Adolphus, YES, you're right.

And, btw, it was my fault... I forgot to mention that you can indeed have anything signed on the coin, not just names or initials but, as you point out, a symbol or anything else you like.

Again, your idea is a SMART one! (inside joke between me and Adolphus) Smile

Paolo Cavalli
Then you'll rise right before my eyes, on wings that fill the sky, like a phoenix rising!
Jordan Waller
View Profile
Special user
London
610 Posts

Profile of Jordan Waller
I do apologise if this gets anyones backs, up and beleive me this is nothing derogative (hope I spelled that right) to any pros here.....but the fact of the matter is just becasue someone has made a name for themselves and is a full time big name performer doesn't mean they are the only people who can work peoples effects out. So please if people have worked out an effect give them a chance and don't just dismiss then becasue they aren't as well know as other performers.
One day I will write a book
Lord Of The Horses
View Profile
Inner circle
5410 Posts

Jordan, I agree with you (and I'm sure many others do!)

But, if your comment was prompted by Adolphus' post, I can assure you (knowing Adolphus) that he had absolutely no intention of demeaning Hypnotic Winter's ideas.

I would be the first to be surprised if it's not as I think...

Paolo Cavalli
Jordan Waller
View Profile
Special user
London
610 Posts

Profile of Jordan Waller
Ok well that's ok I also think it was spurred by a comment I read somewere else on this site. Sorry if I got the wrong impressions.
:)
One day I will write a book
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Coin bending on mind mysteries (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.14 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL