The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » Ringja by Nie Te & Magic Soul (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
Hondo
View Profile
Regular user
147 Posts

Profile of Hondo
Hello everyone,
We just released a new awesome DVD- Ringja.
And you can buy it in most magic stores now!

Trailer: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DRu4XGTFfPg

EXchange Ring: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QXW-OxFNOPQ

We also got good quotes:
"Leave it to a ninja, to add something to your magic arsenal. Visual, Fun, and Challenging for all skill levels. Master the way of the Ringja and they will never see you coming!" - Garrett Thomas

"This DVD contains all essences of ring magic. There are many innovative concepts and every idea is practical. I think it will open up new possibilities for ring magic." - Ponta the Smith

Hope you enjoy it.

Hondo
MagicBrent
View Profile
Inner circle
2574 Posts

Profile of MagicBrent
I thought the trailer was too choppy...can't see the moves smoothly...
Hondo
View Profile
Regular user
147 Posts

Profile of Hondo
Quote:
On 2013-10-21 17:46, MagicBrent wrote:
I thought the trailer was too choppy...can't see the moves smoothly...

Hello,
You can watch the original clip which Nie Te sent to us.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I2xY6flnIVQ
ryoma4148
View Profile
New user
92 Posts

Profile of ryoma4148
I owe you and especially Nie Te an apology. I'm sorry I reacted too fast, I should have contacted you directly first. I reported my earlier post so it can be removed (hopefully that'd be quick).

Issue has been discussed and it is clear we have a genuine case of independent creation, and there are more differences than similarities in the end.
I'd like to give all my respects to MagicSoul and Nie Te who put out a great product, impromptu ring magic is awesome.

And I'll add that Nie Te is pretty skilled and has some neat ideas... the best material isn't shown in the trailer imo Smile

So congratulations for Ringja! おめでとうございます、指輪を操る忍び。
Nie Te
View Profile
New user
4 Posts

Profile of Nie Te
Quote:
On 2013-10-24 05:11, ryoma4148 wrote:
I owe you and especially Nie Te an apology. I'm sorry I reacted too fast, I should have contacted you directly first. I reported my earlier post so it can be removed (hopefully that'd be quick).

Issue has been discussed and it is clear we have a genuine case of independent creation, and there are more differences than similarities in the end.
I'd like to give all my respects to MagicSoul and Nie Te who put out a great product, impromptu ring magic is awesome.

And I'll add that Nie Te is pretty skilled and has some neat ideas... the best material isn't shown in the trailer imo Smile

So congratulations for Ringja! おめでとうございます、指輪を操る忍び。

Hi, how are you?^^ I am Nie Te. Nice to meet you. Forget all the misunderstand wish we can enjoy our ring magic. When we publish something it become history and our names are on that forever do everything in our power to make it perfect and come true. Thanks for you like my video. Ringja(Ninja)~My friend ^_^
Hondo
View Profile
Regular user
147 Posts

Profile of Hondo
Peo Olsson
View Profile
Inner circle
Stockholm, Sweden
3260 Posts

Profile of Peo Olsson
I was blown away by Ringja. Craig and David gave it worker of the week with 98% and 96%.
Penguin is Selling Ringja

http://www.penguinmagic.com/search.php?q=ringja
Pictured to the left my hero and me during FISM 2006 in Stockholm.
ryoma4148
View Profile
New user
92 Posts

Profile of ryoma4148
I've finished watching the dvd and since there is a criminal lack of posts in this thread I thought an in-depth review might start more discussion, hopefully. This DVD is totally worth it.

OVERALL THOUGHTS

The DVD has clear instructions, no need to go back in the video, you will get the move during the first viewing (doing it at the right speed will be something else, though, you'll have to put practice into mastering these stunts Smile )

I think everyone who liked Ringmaster should love this dvd because it has new enhanced moves, and better teaching. And Unless you're allergic to ninjas you should like the general feel of this release.

If I were to describe what Ringja is in one sentence, that would be "Ringmaster on steroids meets feudal Japan" Smile

CONTENTS

Ring selection : Nie Te goes over which type of rings are recommended for his tricks (if you worked on Ringmaster by David Jay you should be fairly equipped already, they both recommend the same sizing).

I] Tricks

there are 1 flourish and 9 tricks explained in this dvd, I will give a brief description of each

00. Turning Ring

This is the classic ring roll move (aka "Monkey's Bar" in Greg Wilson - Ringleader, or "Gryphon Roll" in De'Ring), explanations are clear although there isn't much to know about this move, just practice practice practice Smile

01. Instant

This is Nie Te's basic ring on technique, with a few tips to make it look very natural. Main differences with Johnny Ace Palmer's ring on (as performed in De'ring) is the finger (index finger), and the general presentation of it (Nie Te's hiding the ring on in plain sight, with natural motion so the ring on looks more magical)

02. Instant ver 2

To contrast with the basic technique, this chapter shows a bunch of flashy ring ons, on multiple fingers (index/middle/ring), with some presentation tips and subtleties for a flawless aerial ring on.
His table ring on is also very fast and will catch off-guard magicians who know De'ring Smile

03. Penetration Ring

Now the fundamental ring on sleight is covered, it's time to move on to magical effects Smile
Here it is basically an ungimmicked version of banded/mercuring type of effect, with the ring pulled through the ring finger to the pinky, then out of the hand.

04. Swift Ring

This is a "no cheat" handling of "the ring thing", can't say more, those who know ring thing will understand Smile
Peformance includes a little routine using swift ring as a continuation of the ring thing, original ring thing moves aren't taught though.

05. Ninja Shift

Just as you turn your wrist, the ring is transferred from the index to the ring finger. While this is good in its own, I feel that it is overshadowed by the next 2 chapters who are superior versions of the "ring jump" plot.

06. Nie Te's Shift

Nie Te says "this effect is the most impromptu and impressive one of this DVD" (note: they are all impromptu, don't get it wrong Smile), and indeed it's impressive Smile

This is a closed fist ring jump, from index to middle then middle to ring, then index to ring directly. Each time the ring appears on a different finger with just a shake of the hand. The last transfer is taught with a little sneaky work, but very naturally handled as usual.

Forget about Circuit, THIS is a magical ring jump!

07. Nie Te's Shift 2.0

This is the "hardcore" handling for the last transfer from the previous chapter, directly from index to ring finger, with just one swinging motion of the forearm and no perceptible motion of the hand and no sneaky work this time. This is VERY good. His handling is just AMAZING, so clean. It takes practice but I think it really adds something to the Nie Te's Shift.
You do something that looks magical, and where's the secret? There's none, you genuinely did the impossible!

08. EXChange Ring

The effect is one of the most impressive plot in the DVD (people who know me know I love that plot, and laymen do as well, always gets amazing reactions Smile). One ring resting on the palm of the hand, another ring put on the finger, switch place in one swinging motion. It's fast and great looking.

09. Phantom Ring

While phantom ring has a great plot (2 rings, one on the index finger, another one on the ring finger, swap places by shaking motion), I find the execution is a bit lacking... the swinging motion is a bit too long to my taste (I counted about 10 back and forth swings in total). However, this is definitely an idea that I will work on in the future, I like it very much. I see definite room for improvement in it Smile And there is no doubt Nie Te will surprise us with an improved handling in the future.

And this ends the tricks section, now it's time for routines examples and more Smile

II] Routines

01. Ringja

Ringja is Nie Te's own "ringmaster" routine. It contains most aforementioned tricks as well as one move from David Jay, nicely constructed as a routine that constantly overthrows expectations of the audience.
After the live performance, Nie Te goes over the routine twice so you don't miss any detail Smile

02. Alchemy

This is a very nice spellbound routine! Revisiting the sleights with a new focus this time (and a greaat variation on ring exchange, I love it).
Once again the explanations are clear and if you spent the required amount of practice into the "tricks" section it shouldn't take you much time to master this routine.

III] Bonus

01. Necklace Ring

A take on a classic ring&string move but with a new presentation, and a killer climax... I think Justin Miller had a similar move in his aborted "Circle" project. Nie Te has his own subtleties of course, and managed to put together a cool sequence Smile

02. Ninja Restoration

This is a TnR card plot, I'm not really familiar with this plot handling so I can't really compare with other methods out there, but it doesn't seem too hard to do and you can give the card to examination mid-point during the restore! Nice touch.

CONCLUSION

This is a great DVD, highly recommended for anyone who worked on Ringmaster before, and also recommended to beginners in ring magic... there isn't really any prerequisite, and it's filled with great looking moves, and you get to see live reactions to that magic, laymen love ring magic Smile
It's also very cool to see there is a general theme all through the dvd, makes a nice addition.

Beware not to break a finger or two in the process of learning that stuff Smile j/k

WPR gave it a "worker of the week" award and it's well deserved. Congratulations guys
PendletonThe3rd
View Profile
Special user
973 Posts

Profile of PendletonThe3rd
Thanks for the play by play review Ryoma. Definitely have my eye on this one now.

I've enjoyed the recent Circuit release and Justin Millers Divorce routine and love the very impromptu/organic nature of these types of effects. This looks like it amps it up a bit on the difficulty but I don't mind a challenge!

Thanks again.
joseph
View Profile
Eternal Order
Please ignore my
17411 Posts

Profile of joseph
Very Devo ish ...
"Everything should be made as simple as possible, but no simpler." (Einstein)...
Blindside785
View Profile
Inner circle
Olympia, WA
4540 Posts

Profile of Blindside785
Quote:
On 2013-10-30 15:16, joseph wrote:
Very Devo ish ...
Well yes, impromptu ring magic has gone a long way since then. Not for me, but you movey monkeys go for it!
ryoma4148
View Profile
New user
92 Posts

Profile of ryoma4148
Quote:
On 2013-10-30 15:16, joseph wrote:
Very Devo ish ...

Although they are both ring magic dvds I wouldn't say it's Devoish... De'ring was half 'presentations ideas for Johnny Ace Palmer's ring on', and half 'bobo coin magic' with rings... and a weird renaming of a classic move ("gryphon roll", invented by underground manipulator "gryphon" ?! yeah right..). It really looks like the guy had trouble filling a dvd worth of ring moves yet acts like he does everything imaginable Smile

Nie Te is the opposite, a dvd filled with ring ideas and giving an overall impression that there is so much more that could be done (he actually says it himself at some point in the dvd).

That being said, there still are elements of De'ring that I find better (showing spectators the ring is tight, for example, which really enhances reactions).

I'll say it again, handling-wise, Nie Te's work is much closer to David Jay's Ringmaster than any other ring dvd on the market Smile

You're welcome Pendleton Smile Yea Divorce was great! That ring through pinky... but I won't comment again on circuit lol.
Zombie Magic
View Profile
Inner circle
I went out for a beer and now have
8733 Posts

Profile of Zombie Magic
Penguin has Ringja

http://www.penguinmagic.com/p/S16043

It received WORKER OF THE WEEK by Dave and Craig!

<

Peo Olsson
View Profile
Inner circle
Stockholm, Sweden
3260 Posts

Profile of Peo Olsson
Is there an echo in here?
Pictured to the left my hero and me during FISM 2006 in Stockholm.
Harry the magic man
View Profile
Loyal user
Spokane, Washington
270 Posts

Profile of Harry the magic man
Does it come with rings? If not what would smoke people recommend.
Between the conception
And the creation
Between the emotion
And the response
Falls the Shadow
Life is very long- T.S. Eliot "The Hollow Men"
Harry the magic man
View Profile
Loyal user
Spokane, Washington
270 Posts

Profile of Harry the magic man
No smoke*
Between the conception
And the creation
Between the emotion
And the response
Falls the Shadow
Life is very long- T.S. Eliot "The Hollow Men"
MR Effecto
View Profile
Inner circle
2835 Posts

Profile of MR Effecto
I will have this in a few days. Looks really good if you love ring magic. I do a few effects with rings. Cant wait to add some of these.
Nie Te
View Profile
New user
4 Posts

Profile of Nie Te
Quote:
On 2013-10-30 12:58, ryoma4148 wrote:
I've finished watching the dvd and since there is a criminal lack of posts in this thread I thought an in-depth review might start more discussion, hopefully. This DVD is totally worth it.

OVERALL THOUGHTS

The DVD has clear instructions, no need to go back in the video, you will get the move during the first viewing (doing it at the right speed will be something else, though, you'll have to put practice into mastering these stunts Smile )

I think everyone who liked Ringmaster should love this dvd because it has new enhanced moves, and better teaching. And Unless you're allergic to ninjas you should like the general feel of this release.

If I were to describe what Ringja is in one sentence, that would be "Ringmaster on steroids meets feudal Japan" Smile

CONTENTS

Ring selection : Nie Te goes over which type of rings are recommended for his tricks (if you worked on Ringmaster by David Jay you should be fairly equipped already, they both recommend the same sizing).

I] Tricks

there are 1 flourish and 9 tricks explained in this dvd, I will give a brief description of each

00. Turning Ring

This is the classic ring roll move (aka "Monkey's Bar" in Greg Wilson - Ringleader, or "Gryphon Roll" in De'Ring), explanations are clear although there isn't much to know about this move, just practice practice practice Smile

01. Instant

This is Nie Te's basic ring on technique, with a few tips to make it look very natural. Main differences with Johnny Ace Palmer's ring on (as performed in De'ring) is the finger (index finger), and the general presentation of it (Nie Te's hiding the ring on in plain sight, with natural motion so the ring on looks more magical)

02. Instant ver 2

To contrast with the basic technique, this chapter shows a bunch of flashy ring ons, on multiple fingers (index/middle/ring), with some presentation tips and subtleties for a flawless aerial ring on.
His table ring on is also very fast and will catch off-guard magicians who know De'ring Smile

03. Penetration Ring

Now the fundamental ring on sleight is covered, it's time to move on to magical effects Smile
Here it is basically an ungimmicked version of banded/mercuring type of effect, with the ring pulled through the ring finger to the pinky, then out of the hand.

04. Swift Ring

This is a "no cheat" handling of "the ring thing", can't say more, those who know ring thing will understand Smile
Peformance includes a little routine using swift ring as a continuation of the ring thing, original ring thing moves aren't taught though.

05. Ninja Shift

Just as you turn your wrist, the ring is transferred from the index to the ring finger. While this is good in its own, I feel that it is overshadowed by the next 2 chapters who are superior versions of the "ring jump" plot.

06. Nie Te's Shift

Nie Te says "this effect is the most impromptu and impressive one of this DVD" (note: they are all impromptu, don't get it wrong Smile), and indeed it's impressive Smile

This is a closed fist ring jump, from index to middle then middle to ring, then index to ring directly. Each time the ring appears on a different finger with just a shake of the hand. The last transfer is taught with a little sneaky work, but very naturally handled as usual.

Forget about Circuit, THIS is a magical ring jump!

07. Nie Te's Shift 2.0

This is the "hardcore" handling for the last transfer from the previous chapter, directly from index to ring finger, with just one swinging motion of the forearm and no perceptible motion of the hand and no sneaky work this time. This is VERY good. His handling is just AMAZING, so clean. It takes practice but I think it really adds something to the Nie Te's Shift.
You do something that looks magical, and where's the secret? There's none, you genuinely did the impossible!

08. EXChange Ring

The effect is one of the most impressive plot in the DVD (people who know me know I love that plot, and laymen do as well, always gets amazing reactions Smile). One ring resting on the palm of the hand, another ring put on the finger, switch place in one swinging motion. It's fast and great looking.

09. Phantom Ring

While phantom ring has a great plot (2 rings, one on the index finger, another one on the ring finger, swap places by shaking motion), I find the execution is a bit lacking... the swinging motion is a bit too long to my taste (I counted about 10 back and forth swings in total). However, this is definitely an idea that I will work on in the future, I like it very much. I see definite room for improvement in it Smile And there is no doubt Nie Te will surprise us with an improved handling in the future.

And this ends the tricks section, now it's time for routines examples and more Smile

II] Routines

01. Ringja

Ringja is Nie Te's own "ringmaster" routine. It contains most aforementioned tricks as well as one move from David Jay, nicely constructed as a routine that constantly overthrows expectations of the audience.
After the live performance, Nie Te goes over the routine twice so you don't miss any detail Smile

02. Alchemy

This is a very nice spellbound routine! Revisiting the sleights with a new focus this time (and a greaat variation on ring exchange, I love it).
Once again the explanations are clear and if you spent the required amount of practice into the "tricks" section it shouldn't take you much time to master this routine.

III] Bonus

01. Necklace Ring

A take on a classic ring&string move but with a new presentation, and a killer climax... I think Justin Miller had a similar move in his aborted "Circle" project. Nie Te has his own subtleties of course, and managed to put together a cool sequence Smile

02. Ninja Restoration

This is a TnR card plot, I'm not really familiar with this plot handling so I can't really compare with other methods out there, but it doesn't seem too hard to do and you can give the card to examination mid-point during the restore! Nice touch.

CONCLUSION

This is a great DVD, highly recommended for anyone who worked on Ringmaster before, and also recommended to beginners in ring magic... there isn't really any prerequisite, and it's filled with great looking moves, and you get to see live reactions to that magic, laymen love ring magic Smile
It's also very cool to see there is a general theme all through the dvd, makes a nice addition.

Beware not to break a finger or two in the process of learning that stuff Smile j/k

WPR gave it a "worker of the week" award and it's well deserved. Congratulations guys

THANK you very much for your detailing comments and instructions.Thanks again. Can't wait to see your DVD.
Havens
View Profile
Veteran user
UK
340 Posts

Profile of Havens
I LOVE this DVD!!
Nie Te
View Profile
New user
4 Posts

Profile of Nie Te
Quote:
On 2013-11-03 14:28, Havens wrote:
I LOVE this DVD!!

Thank for your love my dvd ^^ Ringja,my Friend^^
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » Ringja by Nie Te & Magic Soul (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.1 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL