The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » Ringja by Nie Te & Magic Soul (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
Nie Te
View Profile
New user
4 Posts

Profile of Nie Te
Quote:
On 2013-10-31 14:28, MR Effecto wrote:
I will have this in a few days. Looks really good if you love ring magic. I do a few effects with rings. Cant wait to add some of these.

Thanks Your favorite is my great honor^^
Havens
View Profile
Veteran user
UK
313 Posts

Profile of Havens
I have to say I was fascinated by this DVD. Ring magic appeals to me as it's so simple but there's clearly a lot of skill involved and it feels so much more impromptu than card or even coin magic.

Everything is taught so clearly and so well that there's barely the need for subtitles, though these do add some great tips to speed up your learning. Everything's explained and broken down, using multiple camera angles, as well as close-ups and little diagrammatic overlays, so you can be sure of the moves taking place. Nothing feels cheap and the creators should be really proud of what they've achieved. Once you get the hang of the effects on this DVD it looks like real magic and the people I've performed to so far are either completely amazed or they're convinced it's a gimmick or that I have two rings. If they do think it's a gimmick then there's nothing like giving them the ring to examine, or even better using their ring.

If you buy this DVD be prepared to practice, Nie Te makes it look easy - this is his brilliance, but with some dedication you will too, just be prepared to fling your ring across the room while you get to grips with the moves.

A great product and combined with other ring effects this is going straight in my walk around set.
fcchief1
View Profile
Regular user
167 Posts

Profile of fcchief1
I know which size ring he recommends, since I have the DVD but how do you ensure it is the correct weight? Any recommendations on any sites that sell similar rings which he uses and will be consistent with his recommendations???? Thanks and a great DVD, just watching it is fun!!!!
MeHitDrum
View Profile
New user
Having too much fun to have more than
83 Posts

Profile of MeHitDrum
Aloha fccheif1,
I had the same question when I purchased Ringmaster. I believe Nie Te recommends a ring that weighs at least 8 grams.
Personally, I found that a heavier ring works best. I use only one ring for all my routines that involve a ring. It’s black, which shows up better, and is made of Tungsten Heavy Alloy Composite. I find it perfect for my Ring & String routine, Ring Thing/Ring on Band, etc. Also, it’s a 6mm wide band type, so I can easily do coin rolls over it. I’ll tell you, mastering that took awhile, but it looks good so…
I purchased two duplicate rings, just in case I lost the first one. However, on this DVD he’s got a routine that requires a dupe ring, so if decide to try it out I’m ready. My two cents!
DavidLeeMagic.com
"...but we're magicians, and enjoy lying" -James Brown
MeHitDrum
View Profile
New user
83 Posts

Profile of MeHitDrum
Nie Te, thank you for releasing this fine work on finger ring magic. These skills will be with me a lifetime.
DavidLeeMagic.com
fcchief1
View Profile
Regular user
167 Posts

Profile of fcchief1
Thanks, MHD, where did you pick up your rings? I bought one at Walmart, it fit the way Nie Te showed but was not sure of the weight, as they did not have a scale to weigh it on. It is a wide band so will be visible. Just have not done much in the ring magic arena before so wasn't sure how weight would affect the moves etc.
MeHitDrum
View Profile
New user
83 Posts

Profile of MeHitDrum
Another great question...
At first I tried a jewelry store. I got such great looks from the sales girls when I insisted on "a ring for my first finger that was just large enough that it could be removed easily by sliding it off with my first finger and thumb, but not fall off when I turned my hand upside down". Simple right? No! I could tell they thought I was nuts.

I was determined and performed a quick little nothing coin flourish and a trick, and implied my needs as a magician. One of the girls gave me an even stranger look, but they both jumped at the chance to help me. The rings they had were too expensive for my needs, but now I know the exact ring sizes for all my fingers.
Then I bought two rings at the costume jewelry shop at my local mall. They're good practice rings. But I found my “perfect” rings at “JustMensRings.com”, an online store. I still recommend getting your fingers sized professionally, in both metric and English. With that info you can confidently shop online, and avoid return hassles. Hope this helped...
http://www.justmensrings.com/Large-Size-......191.html
DavidLeeMagic.com
MeHitDrum
View Profile
New user
83 Posts

Profile of MeHitDrum
Doesn't really matter where you get them, as long as you get the a fairly heavy weight and the correct size for your finger. Heavier weight helps with sliding the ring back to your knuckle.
DavidLeeMagic.com
Havens
View Profile
Veteran user
UK
313 Posts

Profile of Havens
I'm actually using a slightly larger & lighter ring than recommended as I've found this ideal for practice, plus they're dirt cheap on eBay. Once completely competent with this I'll upgrade to a smaller heavier ring.
Xiqual
View Profile
Inner circle
Upper left quadrant
4932 Posts

Profile of Xiqual
Tungsten carbide rings are cheap and plentiful on eBay . You can get many different types.
James
Still with the Chinese circus Smile
MeHitDrum
View Profile
New user
83 Posts

Profile of MeHitDrum
Yes, thay're inexpensive, and one reason is that some are very brittle. Thay'll withstand being dropped only so much, and then they'll split into two pieces like a Louisvisville Slugger; if dropped on a hard serface at the exact right point. I say if you find one you like, get two or three, they're cheap!
DavidLeeMagic.com
Havens
View Profile
Veteran user
UK
313 Posts

Profile of Havens
I've been using steel rings, as there's no breaking them when you drop them & they're still very cheap.
ryoma4148
View Profile
New user
92 Posts

Profile of ryoma4148
Yes, the thing though is that tungstene carbide is much heavier than steel so it has better momentum which is better for most tricks and flourishes. (I'm not saying that you cannot perform smooth flourishes with a steel ring, just that it is usually easier to be smooth with a heavier ring, just like it is the case with penspinning mods..)

Helps a lot with flick type of moves, but beware, it can hurt a lot more when you miss, trust me you don't want a tungstene ring falling on your little toe Smile

It tends to split in half when falling on the "right" spot just like MeHitDrum said (don't feel bad if that happens, "I didn't break my ring, I built 2 gimmicks" Smile), but it seems it's less the case with wider rings with respect to the diameter... I broke several 7mm width rings (size 8), but I also have 8mm rings (still size 8) that I dropped countless times on hard surfaces and they are still in one piece.. (but one of them was a bit more expensive so maybe there is also a quality issue? I would not think so, as jewelry pricing is usually very artificial...)
MeHitDrum
View Profile
New user
83 Posts

Profile of MeHitDrum
I agree with ryoma4148, I took the two pieces of broken ring, sanded the edges...and wound up with two gimmicks to perform "Banded" type effect. That's just one more example why workers should purchase several units of the same ring. It's just a wize move.
DavidLeeMagic.com
airztonne
View Profile
New user
85 Posts

Profile of airztonne
Hi, could someone tell me what language this is in?
Because from the trailer he spoke in Chinese, so is the instructions in English sub, English Dub or silent?

Thanks in advance!!
ryoma4148
View Profile
New user
92 Posts

Profile of ryoma4148
It's english sub
Havens
View Profile
Veteran user
UK
313 Posts

Profile of Havens
The DVD's so well shot you don't even need the subs, though they're well worth having for the additional tips etc.
Phil Knoxville
View Profile
New user
17 Posts

Profile of Phil Knoxville
This has to be one of my favourite DVDs that I've purchased over the years. Nie Te has some mad skills but he gives all you need to learn the effects and build up your own chops. Highly recommended.
'SCIN: Signed Card In Nose' by Phil Knoxville

https://facebook.com/philknoxvillemagic | http://twitter.com/philknoxville
Themagicguy4
View Profile
New user
24 Posts

Profile of Themagicguy4
I'm not a big fan of this. All the moves are very jerky and look quite unnatural. If you shake your hand violently for a few seconds, you could get away with murder lol
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » Ringja by Nie Te & Magic Soul (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.15 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL