The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workshop » » Great router for dremel (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

mvmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
Has written
1322 Posts

Profile of mvmagic
If someone is looking to get a better router for Dremel, I can recommend this:

http://www.stewmac.com/shop/Tools/Specia......3&xsr=83

Much better than Dremel's own plastic one and not expensive either.
Sent from my Typewriter
Michael Baker
View Profile
Eternal Order
Near a river in the Midwest
11172 Posts

Profile of Michael Baker
Thanks much for that link! I have always preferred Craftsman rotary tools to Dremel, but the accessory options for Dremel seem to be much better. I have not explored the router aspects, but can imagine where they might come in handy. I'd think precision jigs would also make this new router base worth the price of gold.

Most of my rotary tool use is simply for drilling pilot holes for thousands of little tiny screws. I occasionally pop on a sanding drum or a cut-off wheel, but not nearly as often as the use I give those 1/16" drill bits.

Can you describe any particular projects you've done where such use for a Dremel (router) is indispensable?
~michael baker
The Magic Company
mvmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
Has written
1322 Posts

Profile of mvmagic
I do a lot of model building and non-magic prop building. For instance, engraving lines on a prop's surface is one thing this is very handy for. Cutting out designs is another. With the right router bit and some practise, you can do pretty intricate cutouts.

As the Dremel handily screws into it, you can also invert it, clamp onto a table and attach a sanding bit or polishing bit (or whatever you like) and that's superb for finishing edges, even sharpening tools. There really is a lot it is good for.

Stewmac caters quitar builders so they have the tools for that and so much of their line works great for prop building. They also have a great selection of fine router bits, as Dremel's own are pretty large.

For me, Dremel is a workhorse. 90% of the time I use it with the flex shaft which provides a neat, easily held precision tool. For the things I do, the flex shaft, vertical stand and the versatile precision router base provide me with a full workshop Smile
Sent from my Typewriter
Michael Baker
View Profile
Eternal Order
Near a river in the Midwest
11172 Posts

Profile of Michael Baker
Great! Thanks much for the detailed reply!
~michael baker
The Magic Company
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workshop » » Great router for dremel (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL