The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Deckless! » » Stand Up Monte Garret Thomas... (1 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
paisa23
View Profile
Inner circle
7293 Posts

Profile of paisa23
UGH HAD THIS DOWN!!! LOVED IT!! MOVED AND FORGOT IT!!! Here goes another week staring at my hands...
SlipperySnake
View Profile
Loyal user
245 Posts

Profile of SlipperySnake
Garret's teaching is top notch. Great effect.
robbie mcgrath
View Profile
Loyal user
Ireland
233 Posts

Profile of robbie mcgrath
Hi all,
yep I got it finally and its like ronseal (",) its does excatly what it says on the tin , its a great effect , standard bike size cards is the one I got and my say it flys by specs, done it in the pub last week when out with the lads and totally blew em away, its so clever and fast that its a total fooler and best of all it ends perfect for if you need to "show me that again" , I really rate this as a monte and very glad its one I purchased ,
MMMagic29
View Profile
New user
51 Posts

Profile of MMMagic29
Garrett performs some incredible magic. That trick is a real worker.
Koolmagic114
View Profile
Veteran user
319 Posts

Profile of Koolmagic114
I have it. I love it! An amazing monte. Garrett lectured for us a couple of months ago and did it. I had owned it beige he lectured. But was amazing to see it in his hands. Sadly, for me I do not perform enough. So for me to retain the phases in memory Smile the only reason I do not do it.
Eddy

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Co-Creator of "TAGZ" / "Iced Over" / " TelePad" / "Penigma"
www.magicianslair.com
arthur stead
View Profile
Inner circle
When I played soccer, I hit
1777 Posts

Profile of arthur stead
Zuke (and other folks with positive responses on this thread): Thanks so much for your encouragement. Like some of the other posters, I was hesitant about learning this for the same reasons cited above. But now I'm definitely going to give it a try!
Arthur Stead
royalty-free music and interactive routines
www.arthurstead.com
Blindside785
View Profile
Inner circle
Olympia, WA
4541 Posts

Profile of Blindside785
I spent an hour with it and I have it down to a reasonable pace, I'm going to keep working on it. It's easier than I thought. I love this. It could be a great middle in a set but I think it's a nice closer.
Digitalyosh
View Profile
New user
Southern California
76 Posts

Profile of Digitalyosh
It took be roughly the same time as Blindside to learn this routine. The order of everything is the hardest part to remember. I would recommend working the trick out from the breast pocket as well which gives you a reason to just have it on you at all times without tying up your pants pocket.
Current things to work on: Everything loops, Pinky count, Coins coins coins...
AJ MAJIC
View Profile
Loyal user
287 Posts

Profile of AJ MAJIC
Yeah, I had the routine down pat but after not performing for a few weeks, I lost it. So now I do a run through at least every other day to keep up speed etc....the more the routine is second nature, the more fun it is for me :-D
KokoB
View Profile
Loyal user
257 Posts

Profile of KokoB
I am a big fan of Stand up monte & all other monte effects, money monte, Color monte, it is one of the greatest packet effects made that's a go to every time for me.
Redfoot
View Profile
New user
67 Posts

Profile of Redfoot
I just got this down and started performing it for a few people to see how it would fly. I would have thought the move would have been spotted easily the way it's employed so often in the routine, but the way GT slowly builds the speed and impossibility of what you're doing I've not had anyone notice - just jaws dropping to the floor Smile

Kryptonite76, Penguin magic's demo video show it done with pants (trouser) pocket rather than breast pocket - IMO it doesn't flow so well and the cards could get bent more easily but it's still pretty good.
AdamChance
View Profile
Special user
656 Posts

Profile of AdamChance
Quote:
On 2014-01-23 11:51, kryptonite76 wrote:
Does anyone perform this trick without using the chest pocket? How are you getting around it?

I'll sometimes have to use my back pants pocket... but it's much better with a breast pocket.
virtualwizard
View Profile
Regular user
Bailey Island, Maine
167 Posts

Profile of virtualwizard
Quote:
On 2013-10-22 19:08, AdamChance wrote:
Stand up monte is for sure in my top 5 of tricks I do. it's great! all you need is a few cards and you're good to go.

but I've changed a few of the phases, so that I'm not doing "the move" every time.

for example, when you change the queen into the third 4 of clubs... you can do a DL instead of "the move". A DL here looks really clean because you spread to show two fours and a queen.... do a DL... spread to show a face down card and two fours... and that face down card is a third four. you can do the same thing for the ending too.

for the ending, there are lots of options that can make the final changes into all queens look like a fluorish. to turn the first one into a queen, do a shake change. then place it on the bottom of the other two cards. do a DL... shake the face down card... and it turns into the 3rd queen. for patter, you can joke around by telling them to keep their eye on the queen and to not let the shaking 4 distract them. but then the 4 turns into a queen.

there's also a move that I learned for the "entourage" card trick (my second favourite packet trick) that works for stand up monte. you basically use the top card in a pack of three to hit the "middle" card and turn it over. looks good espeically if it's outjogged a little bit.

but just play around with the cards and you'll find other cool things you can do with this routine.

garrett's routine is obviously amazing in it's current form, and you'll do well just going with what he teaches... but there is lots of other stuff that you can do to make the routine your own and find a routine you like doing and you're comfortable with.

for example, in one phase I do, I say "let's only use two cards" and I put the 3rd card in my mouth... then obviously the queen jumps to my mouth. it's good because I do a signed card to mouth as an ambtious phase.

I also like to use two jokers as the indifferent cards... cause then you can pull them all out from a regular deck and it seems more organic and realistic rather than using two identical spot cards.

Very good ideas here, thanks!
Mike the Magician
robbie mcgrath
View Profile
Loyal user
Ireland
233 Posts

I just use front pocket in jeans etc , still in full view of spec nothing hidden andakes it more believeable when your not hiding hands behind your back I think , just my opinion is all
robbie mcgrath
View Profile
Loyal user
Ireland
233 Posts

I just use front pocket in jeans etc , still in full view of spec nothing hidden and makes it more believeable when your not hiding hands behind your back I think , just my opinion is all
dooblehorn
View Profile
Inner circle
Pittsburg, CA
2482 Posts

Profile of dooblehorn
I love this one a lot, just have trouble memorizing all the phases
tomsk192
View Profile
Inner circle
3894 Posts

Profile of tomsk192
Keith Bennett.
regimbeaup
View Profile
New user
58 Posts

Profile of regimbeaup
Hi, I'm trying to perform this trick, and was wondering if anyone had bad experience using the "move", as in some parts of the routine, the side of the cards is not as it should be? many thanks
brandontoh
View Profile
New user
56 Posts

Profile of brandontoh
Quote:
On Nov 12, 2014, regimbeaup wrote:
Hi, I'm trying to perform this trick, and was wondering if anyone had bad experience using the "move", as in some parts of the routine, the side of the cards is not as it should be? many thanks

I once had a heckler who can't reconcile with the fact that he was being ignored, so I addressed him while doing casual false counts.
The0mas
View Profile
New user
96 Posts

Profile of The0mas
The problem I have with this effect is that it is so visual and direct that I am afraid spectators would understand that there is something "strange" with the cards… in my opinion, it is important that the spectator can DOUBT about what is happening and about the method… here there's no place for doubt, the card is here, and one second later is there, without any kind of move… spectators aren't stupid… or there is real magic going on, or the cards are somehow gimmicked as there is almost no move at all in the moment when the magic happens. This is my major concern with this, although it is a beautiful effect
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Deckless! » » Stand Up Monte Garret Thomas... (1 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL