The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Took the plunge - propless psychic show (1 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
TonyB2009
View Profile
Inner circle
5006 Posts

Profile of TonyB2009
This week I finally took the plunge, after two years of thinking about it and building the skills. I did a full hour propless, as a psychic. I was opening for a medium, and prepared a nice act, using a neat centre tear routine to open, then some clever peaks, one ahead and switches for a Q&A routine. But the medium didn't like the idea of anyone writing anything, so on the day I had to scrap all the preparation work and the routines I was planning on using.

So I went on cold, and winged it. I had a tarot deck and nothing more. No pre-show or any other helpful aids. It was a great experience. I did an hour both nights, throwing out teasers at the audience, and when I got a hit, moving in with the tarot deck. It seemed to go down very well, and I am on a bit of a high now. Q&A with nothing written down - to me that has been the golden grail.

It surprised me how well reading techniques worked from a stage, and how receptive the audience were, and the amount they fed back to me.

This has been the culmination of a two year journey - and the start of a new one, I hope. Aside from hypnotism (again, no props) this has been the most satisfying show I have done. A big thank you to some people whose work has inspired me and helped me grow my skills. The two most important are Jerome Finley and Paul Voodini. Three others who also helped immensely were George Anderson, Bob Cassidy and Mark Lewis. Thanks to all those visionaries who have shared their thoughts and techniques with the mentalism world. Without them I would have fallen flat on my face the last two nights.
Mindpro
View Profile
Inner circle
9527 Posts

Profile of Mindpro
Congrats Tony, way to go
dykstraj99
View Profile
New user
83 Posts

Profile of dykstraj99
"Going in cold and winging it" for an hour. Wow, you are the man!!!
Scott Soloff
View Profile
Special user
Philadelphia, PA
960 Posts

Profile of Scott Soloff
Tony,

I'm impressed... You're an inspiration for me!

I would love to do this.

Monday I have a show that started out as a brief case act
and is going to be suitcases.

My goal is to do a propless act... The fact that you went
out there and actually did it gives me something to shoot for!

Thanks for sharing, much appreciated.

Best wishes,

Scott
'Curiouser and curiouser."
seamagu
View Profile
Special user
859 Posts

Profile of seamagu
Well done Tony, sounds fantastic
I love post its Smile
Voodini
View Profile
Inner circle
1783 Posts

Profile of Voodini
Well done Tony. So proud of you (if that doesn't sound condescending). Propless was a vision of mine several years ago (which sort of found vision after watching a certain medium at work and culminated with Pure Q&A). Like Midnight Side of the Mind, I know it works for me but always worried that it might not translate when used by other people who weren't me! So pleased that you have found success using these techniques - and a little relieved too that it is possible to transfer the knowledge via the written word! Smile

Well done! And... it's a buzz isn't it?!
Voodini - cold reading, past life regressions, remote viewing, Q&A, palm reading, bizarre & seance...
www.readerofminds.co.uk
John C
View Profile
Eternal Order
I THINK therefore I wrote
11568 Posts

Profile of John C
Nothing like standing out in the rain naked. Singing in the rain, just singing in the rain ....
The ULTIMATE Routine Series: rebirth soon!
TonyB2009
View Profile
Inner circle
5006 Posts

Profile of TonyB2009
Quote:
On 2013-10-24 18:20, Voodini wrote:
Well done Tony. So proud of you (if that doesn't sound condescending).

Doesn't sound condescending at all. Seeing your performance in Huddersfield a few years ago woke me up to what could be done. It took a while to take the step, but it will not be the last show. It was a very satisfying feeling. And a resounding endorsement for what can be transferred through the written word!
george1953
View Profile
Inner circle
Mallorca (Spain)
5945 Posts

Profile of george1953
Well done, its one of those things that are really difficult to practise, but the more you do it the better you will become.
By failing to prepare, we are preparing to fail.
illusionactor
View Profile
New user
New York
52 Posts

Profile of illusionactor
Congrats Tony! That's a plunge I hope one day to be confident enough to take.
Matt Pulsar
View Profile
Special user
932 Posts

Profile of Matt Pulsar
Awesome! I have never tried full prop less. Did you perform hypnosis in this show as well? I'm just curious other than a and a and tarot what you filled an hour with?
Belief Manifests Reality.
https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100014859756312
Palm Star Zodiac Divination System: https://palmstarzodiac.blogspot.com/
Bard
View Profile
Loyal user
223 Posts

Profile of Bard
To my mind and based on both, what I was taught "growing up in mentalism" as well as what I've learned, doing such a program should be "normal". . . at least 30 minutes if not the full 60.

Think about how the old timers did little other than CMR related material for a full hour or two a century or so back. Then we have the Cold Reading element; John Edward and others do full two-hour shows doing nothing but this.

Using the Tarot is curious. . . I just recently shared a general outline on a closed forum that does just that, an extension of my "Docc H with a Twist" routine that was published a few years ago and which will be out in a couple of months as "The Wisdom Q&A" complete with all the nuances that will give people an easy 40+ minute Q&A act.

I'm not saying all of this to steal your thunder, it's always a good thing when someone discovers that Mentalism can be done "clean" based on key skills, a bit of psychology and of course, cunning. . . lots of cunning!

Kudos!
Isper
View Profile
Veteran user
360 Posts

Profile of Isper
Paul,

Your work translates very well. More then what you might realize.
bevbevvybev
View Profile
Inner circle
UK
2564 Posts

Profile of bevbevvybev
Next step: Propless and naked

Then you'd have a real 'naked mentalism' routine

(Sorry Tomo)
Michael Zarek
View Profile
Special user
Sweden
912 Posts

Profile of Michael Zarek
Quote:
On 2013-10-25 09:30, bevbevvybev wrote:
Next step: Propless and naked

Then you'd have a real 'naked mentalism' routine

(Sorry Tomo)

I'm actually suprised that there are no naked psychic out there.

But on a serious note, I think a propless show is absolutly great and every mentalist should aspire to be able to do one.
Right now I get about an hour out of 1 billet (altough trying to eliminate that) and occasionally a deck of cards for the first routine.
If anyone wants to do propless mentalism they should definitly study Jerome's work (too bad he stoped selling it for now), the most needed skills are definitly: CMR, genuine readings,Cold readings, hypnosis(with right framing), and any propless mind reading methods you know.
Reader discretion is advised.
Smoking Camel
View Profile
Inner circle
UK
1002 Posts

Profile of Smoking Camel
TONY thanks for sharing.

What do you think was the most important element that helped you "pull off" this kind of act?

What would you do differently the next time round?
I no longer smoke camel cigarettes.
TonyB2009
View Profile
Inner circle
5006 Posts

Profile of TonyB2009
Quote:
On 2013-10-24 22:04, StuartPalm wrote:
Did you perform hypnosis in this show as well? I'm just curious other than a and a and tarot what you filled an hour with?

I would love to do an hour of propless mentalism and follow it with an hour of hypnotism, but I know that hypnotism would not have worked after the readings. The tone of the evening would have been wrong. Some day I might perhaps be able to do it, but I think that the hypnotism would need to change from the current standard show, which is essentially comedy improv. I might begin to try and create a non-comedy hypnosis show now, or I might keep both separate.

My next step will be to refine the hour of readings. I want a good solid opening (not necessarily psychic or mentalism, perhaps comedy or energy demonstrations to get the crowd responding). I found the Tarot was great during the body of the show. It allowed me have a bit of a structure, and something visual. I could use it almost like punctuation. It also helped some people open up a bit. Now I want a good close to the hour. Paul's Kiss of the Clairvoyant is one possibility. Another possibility is a standard hypnotic eye-closure bit. Have everyone in the audience concentrate on the face of a loved one, and lock their eyes. I don't want to drift towards mediumship, but that might work.

Either way, it is fun to work on new material.
innercirclewannabe
View Profile
Inner circle
Ireland
1569 Posts

Profile of innercirclewannabe
Nice one, Tony. Next time I'm down in Munster, I hope to see your show.
Tá sé ach cleas má dhéanann tú sé cuma mhaith ar cheann.
Jerome Finley
View Profile
V.I.P.
SLC
3422 Posts

Profile of Jerome Finley
Tony,

Thanks so much for sharing and CONGRATULATIONS!

Focusing on your 1 hour of readings sounds excellent and I really love the idea of opening with a few energetic demonstrations. This lends itself really well to things such as pendulum dowsing, energy/muscle testing, CMR (etc) which then moves into the READINGS via psychometry and auras. I've often thought of group "energy work" as a sort of "Telepathy In Action" performance and even more than traditional stage hypnosis, this more subtle act featuring tools such as pendulums/dowsing/muscle testing + energy work, *meditation*, group psychometry & aura readings, answering a few personal questions...this makes for a dynamite show and program and with your new level of experience going propless, I strongly suspect that you'd go really far with such an act tailored specifically to you and the audiences you cater to.

Best of luck with your new endeavors and much continued success! If I can be of assistance to you in any way, please don't hesitate to drop me a line...I'm here to help!

Yours,
Jerome
"Join my update list here!" http://eepurl.com/uE3Jf
TonyB2009
View Profile
Inner circle
5006 Posts

Profile of TonyB2009
Thanks, Jerome. You have been an immense influence and inspiration. And it is deeply appreciated.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Took the plunge - propless psychic show (1 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.21 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL