The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricks & Effects » » When I die, It will happen one day. (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
The Baldini
View Profile
Inner circle
I some how pounded in
2355 Posts

Profile of The Baldini
I was not sure where to post this and I do not mean to be morbid.
My question is. When I die, what can my wife do with my magic collection? We prefer to donate it and give the proceeds to the IBM, Café & SAM. But I have no clue how or what to do.
Anyone else thought about this? What is your plan?

Dave
Angelo Carbone
View Profile
V.I.P.
1306 Posts

Profile of Angelo Carbone
I have thought about this too! What should I do with all my magic.
The Gift: Trick of the Year 2017
My YouTube Channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/themagicinventor
Magic SMS 2: http://apple.co/2nuxewr
Notion of Motion: http://www.risingcard.co.uk
The Baldini
View Profile
Inner circle
I some how pounded in
2355 Posts

Profile of The Baldini
I am looking for a way to pass it on where some good wil come of it.
MeetMagicMike
View Profile
Inner circle
Gainesville Fl
3186 Posts

Profile of MeetMagicMike
Leave it to a young friend. Ask them to take what they want and find good homes for the rest by selling what they can and giving away the rest. - That's what I would do.
Magic Mike

MeetMagicMike.com

I took the Pledge
The Baldini
View Profile
Inner circle
I some how pounded in
2355 Posts

Profile of The Baldini
Mike, My wife would not be in any condition to sell it and I do not know of anyone to give it all too. I imagine many people are in the same boat.
Theodore Lawton
View Profile
Inner circle
1663 Posts

Profile of Theodore Lawton
I'm sure there are plenty of people here you could give it too. This topic came up in another thread and I was later wondering if maybe the Café could set up a donations thread or a thread where people could join a list where people who want to donate their collection could arrange to give it to them. Like say I'm ill or just want to plan ahead, or I die and my wife knows my wishes; she or I come here and list my collection or just offer it en mass to anyone who wants it. That's it. Arrangements are made and someone who appreciates it gets it and sells whatever they want to out of it.

Just an idea.
IAIN
View Profile
Eternal Order
england
18822 Posts

Profile of IAIN
Don't give it away - you might get some dealers take it all and then sell it on...

ask for it to be auctioned off, and donate the proceeds to a charity (possibly one that helps people who died of the thing you died off if possible) - or whoever survives you...you always contact your local magic group to make a contact too...
I've asked to be banned
marknem7
View Profile
Elite user
497 Posts

Profile of marknem7
Do you have a trusted magician friend who lives in easy driving distance from you? See if he/she would be willing to be responsible for splitting up your collection for donation to your local IBM Ring and/or SAM group, which, in turn, could distribute the pieces to young member magicians or hold an auction with the proceeds benefitting the group as a whole.

Or you could choose to have your magician friend oversee the sale of the collection with the proceeds going to your survivors or to any cause of your choice.

As for causes, I like those schools in developing countries that are devoted to teaching magic to kids in need, street kids, orphaned kids, etc., who can't afford to buy magic props or books of their own. There's a good one in South Africa, whose name I can't recall at the moment, and I believe one in Latin America.

Which leads to a question of my own: anyone have experience with a dealer or magic auction house that has been consistently reputable and fair in selling magic estates? And what is the best site to most profitably sell large quantities of magic online: here on the Café? The big auction place that will go unnamed? One of the auction sites?
MeetMagicMike
View Profile
Inner circle
Gainesville Fl
3186 Posts

Profile of MeetMagicMike
Do people just read the first post and then reply without reading anything in between? I already suggested giving it to a friend and Dave said he didn't know any one to give it all to.
Magic Mike

MeetMagicMike.com

I took the Pledge
The Baldini
View Profile
Inner circle
I some how pounded in
2355 Posts

Profile of The Baldini
Mike, I read it...
marknem7
View Profile
Elite user
497 Posts

Profile of marknem7
My suggestion wasn't exactly to just give it to someone/anyone, but to find a local magician who can act as a responsible distributor for it. If you don't know anyone personally, Dave, contact the head of your closest IBM Ring or SAM group for a possible recommendation.

Deepest apologies for offering up what came across so offensively to MeetMagicMike as (gasp!) redundant advice.
Paul Rathbun
View Profile
Inner circle
Michigan
2438 Posts

Profile of Paul Rathbun
I have a few close magic friends that my wife is to split up my collection between. Since they do different types of magic it should split up pretty easily based on what they do.
NFW
View Profile
Inner circle
UK
1050 Posts

Profile of NFW
Let's hope it's not a problem you have any time soon!
The Baldini
View Profile
Inner circle
I some how pounded in
2355 Posts

Profile of The Baldini
I think the IBM or SAM have some kind of program, I will email them and ask. In my case, it needs to ne simple. Everything gets boxed up and sent out. Tax deductible of course.
Rogerbest
View Profile
Regular user
108 Posts

Profile of Rogerbest
Send everything to me...I will pay postage.
You need my address???
Skip Way
View Profile
Inner circle
3771 Posts

Profile of Skip Way
I will check with the Presidents of SAM and IBM to see what they may offer . I know that KIDabra hosts a massive 6-hour lecture each August and proceeds from estates may be designated towards a charity of choice. The IBM has a new program in the works for putting estates and donated books/videos/props into the hands of I.B.M. Youth members and active Youth Rings. SAM most likely has a similar program for SYM. I'll have a definitive answer as soon as I get through this BUSY weekend.

I certainly hope no one here is facing this imminent issue, but it will happen one day. It is wise to be prepared. My collection is willed to my local Ring to be offered first to Youth Ring members with the remainder auctioned at KIDabra with proceeds benefitting the Raleigh Youth Ring. Notice that I said "Willed". You need to make your wishes clear and known and I've appointed a knowledgable magic executor and fellow KIDabra and IBM member for my magic collection disposition.
How you leave others feeling after an Experience with you becomes your Trademark.

Magic Youth Raleigh - RaleighMagicClub.org
ralphs007
View Profile
Inner circle
1087 Posts

Profile of ralphs007
I'm taking my stuff with me. ;0)
"You can easily judge the character of a man by how he treats those who can do nothing for him".
James D. Miles
daffydoug
View Profile
Eternal Order
Look mom! I've got
14061 Posts

Profile of daffydoug
Wow. This thread has really got me thinking.
The difficult must become easy, the easy beautiful and the beautiful magical.
John C
View Profile
Eternal Order
I THINK therefore I wrote
12086 Posts

Profile of John C
I'll leave you mine if you leave me yours?
The ULTIMATE Routine Series: rebirth soon!
MeetMagicMike
View Profile
Inner circle
Gainesville Fl
3186 Posts

Profile of MeetMagicMike
I wish someone offered a reverse mortgage for magic Smile
Magic Mike

MeetMagicMike.com

I took the Pledge
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricks & Effects » » When I die, It will happen one day. (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.23 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL