The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Nothing up my sleeve... » » Oxy Clean - Help on Starting Ideas (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Magician Shaun
View Profile
Special user
Huntington BCH, CA
924 Posts

Profile of Magician Shaun
Ok, I have been working on Eric Jones' Oxy Clean Coin Routine to add to my Walk Around sets. The problem I have is that I typically wear a jacket for sleeving, topiting, etc. Pulling up the sleeves and rolling back the shirt sleeves isn't really practical. I have considered starting by simply dropping the coin into my sleeve at the armpit, show both hands empty, drop one hand to the side as I reach for "nothing" and producing the first coin from there. I have also considered a "coin-aide" gimmick that I believe came from John Archer? Not 100% sure on that, the problem I have been having with that is that I sweat and the bandaid won't stick...

Does anyone have any other suggestions. I would prefer ones that don't include coin clips. I suppose something to hold the coin under the lapel would work as well. More ideas are appreciated.
Lawrence O
View Profile
Inner circle
French Riviera
6811 Posts

Profile of Lawrence O
Buy a Lawrence O's Hold Out from Alex Conradi who still owns the production rights. It 100% solves the point you have. It was designed exactly for the situatino you describe. It's more simple and casual than a gravity hold Out and much more useful for productions (and vanishes)
Alex won an international award using it. You can reach him at magic@alexconradi.com

By the way, Eric's routine is fantastic: congratulations for having picked that one up.
Magic is the art of emotionally sharing live impossible situations
TheHbomb
View Profile
New user
72 Posts

Profile of TheHbomb
Oxy Clean is great. If I still had both gaffs required I would do it every time I'm asked to perform. You could start out with the coins on your neck, and instead of reaching into the air to get the first coin, pretend to pick it off your elbow as though it is a loose thread or a spec, or that somehow the invisible coin got stuck to your jacket.
Magician Shaun
View Profile
Special user
Huntington BCH, CA
924 Posts

Lawrence,

I sent an email. Will await the reply.

TheHbomb,

TheCoinAide helps with what you suggest and that is certainly an option I keep in mind and have used.
tedski
View Profile
Special user
New Jersey
792 Posts

Profile of tedski
Sleeve pocket?
Lawrence O
View Profile
Inner circle
French Riviera
6811 Posts

Profile of Lawrence O
No much better. Sleeve pockets are Jay Scott Berry's baby.
Bambu
View Profile
Elite user
California
498 Posts

Profile of Bambu
You can try the Cosmar Guimmick to hold the coin and retrive it when you are ready: http://www.lybrary.com/cosmar-coin-gimmick-p-152557.html
Lawrence O
View Profile
Inner circle
French Riviera
6811 Posts

Profile of Lawrence O
Quote:
On 2013-11-01 21:48, Bambu wrote:
You can try the Cosmar Guimmick to hold the coin and retrive it when you are ready: http://www.lybrary.com/cosmar-coin-gimmick-p-152557.html

Bought it. It's an interesting tool but not really adapted to Eric Jones routine.
Thanks for mentioning it though.
Magician Shaun
View Profile
Special user
Huntington BCH, CA
924 Posts

I too have the Cossmar Gimmick. I would almost be better using a gravity holdout with a magnet on the end. I could just retrieve it when I bring the invisible coins in for a closer look.

I have also considered the sleeve pockets. The reason these solutions are not ideal is due to the extra motion required. Eric's solution is the most elegant but paradoxically requires the sleeves rolled up...It seems so impossible!
Dentian
View Profile
Loyal user
278 Posts

Profile of Dentian
You could try placing some sort of magnetic hold-out using velcro onto inside of your jacket (waste line area, near the 'flap' of the jacket just enough so a coin can't be seen but can be easily retrieved into fingertip rest). Assuming your jacket is unbuttoned, you can casually place your hand on your jacket as your other hand reaches out to grab an 'invisible coin'. This way your hands never drop to the side and are always in frame, with the right misdirection, this works like a charm.

If you don't really understand what I'm talking about, I'll send you an image of what I've got set up on a slightly more casual jacket.

Maybe it won't suit you, but give it a try!
portellamagic
View Profile
New user
63 Posts

Profile of portellamagic
Good idea
Nick Portella
ljsviol
View Profile
Veteran user
345 Posts

Profile of ljsviol
I saw a routine that involved the production and vanish of a coin (3-coins-in-one gaff) where the coin is hidden under the watch band - not under the watch face, but 180 degrees from that, on what I'd call the underside of the wrist. While pretending to pick up an invisible coin from the hand, the index finger and thumb reach back to grab/place the coin from/to the watch band.

I hope that made some sense; if not, PM me and I can provide more info.

Larry S.
Magician Shaun
View Profile
Special user
Huntington BCH, CA
924 Posts

Ljsviol,

This sounds like a promising compromise. Answer me this. If I wear my watch on my left hand, it is the right hand's fingers that steal the coin? Is the hand with the watch the turned face up, i.e. the hand wearing the watch is the hand that is "holding the invisible coin?"

I think we should go ahead and discuss it here so that others can benefit as well. This is more technique any way, not really exposure...
ljsviol
View Profile
Veteran user
345 Posts

Profile of ljsviol
It sounds like you have the right idea - if you mime taking/placing a coin from your left hand (palm up) with your right hand fingers in the palm, the right hand thumb/index can reach back, pretty well hidden, to grab something from under your watch band, or similarly to put it away there.

I think this is an example of what I mean, and you see how clean it can be:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=pla......vaY#t=36
(I've jumped the video to the 3rd coin vanish). Part of the vanish is getting the specs used to the motion by placing the 2 previously vanished coins in the same way (see full video).

Josh Jay teaches this in his video "Methods in Magic: Live in the UK" , a filmed lecture. Of course, others may as well; I just don't know who. -)

Larry
Magician Shaun
View Profile
Special user
Huntington BCH, CA
924 Posts

I have the good fortune to be able to go to an Eric Jones lecture tonight. Maybe I can ask him some of these questions.
kenodad
View Profile
Regular user
141 Posts

Profile of kenodad
Here is a simple idea: I hand a normal coin out for examination while concealing the gimmicked coin. I put the regular coin in my pocket and have it penetrate to expose the gimmicked coin. Then you are off and running. I present the OxyF as a coin from pocket routine: They magically come from the pocket, then vanish back to the pocket. Handing out the coin at the beginning creates the illusion that they have examined things. A total vanish at the end leaves no evidence out for examination. If that is unclear, I can try to clarify. The way I end clean it to display two coins (shell and other), seemingly take one and put it away (really taking everything away), then display what should be a remaining coin is gone: mysterious and allows you to be clean at the end.
Hirwa
View Profile
New user
55 Posts

Profile of Hirwa
Hello guys! I use an old sock that I cut to ditch my coin like Eric Jones does. Also, you might consider placing a jumbo coin there to make it appear easily!! Now that I have this solution I m not afraid to perform without a jacket anymore, and trust me, I had some laymen tell me that they couldn t believe what they saw when the coin disappeared as I wasn t wearing long sleeves.
bobthemagicdoerguy
View Profile
Regular user
I can't remember where I left my
186 Posts

Profile of bobthemagicdoerguy
I am working on a topit-like device that can be used with short sleeved button up shirts. So far, the prototype works as a great ditch if you can muscle pass. PM me if you want details on it... I may be able to ship you one when I get a price from the tailor I'm having work it up...
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Nothing up my sleeve... » » Oxy Clean - Help on Starting Ideas (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.04 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL