We Remember The Magic Café We Remember
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The side walk shuffle » » Handling Drunks from the Audiences Perspective (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Stperformer
View Profile
Loyal user
289 Posts

Profile of Stperformer
Most of us here have had to deal with drunken hecklers/disruption at times. The following experience of mine made me realize how important it is from the audiences perspective.

Strange but I ended up scoring a lucrative gig from dealing with a drunken heckler during a festival this past summer.

Halfway thru my show a rather inebriated aggressive street person wandered into my (huge) show. Long story short...introduced him as the mayor, standard schtick ha-ha.......he wants to fight.........manage to calm him down.......promised to shout him a brew later......he stumbled away .......and carried on with my show.

2 weeks later I get a call from the festival director that a certain corporation wants to get in touch with me. We touch base/ they hire me for a number of events in which I'm extremely well compensated.

Talked to the CEO last week who had recommended me for the gig. Seems he saw my show involving the drunk and was so impressed on the way that I handled the situation that out of all the other performers there, he chose me.
The point being......he didn't give 2 hoots about my magic or sleights, or about some other guy juggling chainsaws on a unicycle but rather how the performer (me) handled a bad situation.

Made me realize how much we are often judged by events, other than magic, that happen during our shows.

Wondering if you lads have any heckler/drunk stories that ended to your advantage???
Mr. Danny
View Profile
Loyal user
North Central Louisiana
249 Posts

Profile of Mr. Danny
Not yet, give me time!
imgic
View Profile
Inner circle
Moved to Seattle to see
1223 Posts

Profile of imgic
None here. But loved hearing your story. Congrats!
"Imagination is more important than knowledge."
ROBERT BLAKE
View Profile
Inner circle
1472 Posts

Profile of ROBERT BLAKE
Well done Stperformer. the difference between an amateur and a professional? they way they handle problems.
troppobob
View Profile
Veteran user
Crescent Head Australia
372 Posts

Profile of troppobob
G'day Stperformer
Lots of interactions (down here in Oz) with people that could be described as well lubricated - most times I am happy to get through it unscathed as the unpredictability is the tricky part.
However I had one situation that I recall was a bonus in regard to a creative approach to a juggling routine that I often use early in my street performance.
A good size audience had built (about 10am at a community event in a park) and I am running through my routine with the devil sticks/juggling sticks (for those that may not be familiar with these they are one longer stick with fancy ends and 2 shorter sticks for flipping the longer one around in patterns). A bloke starts calling out as if he had worked out the secret of these sticks "There is magnets in those sticks" - (loudly and repeatedly) - I ran with the concept and he settled down to watch the show - even some of the sober people later mentioned that they thought this was how they worked.
Ever since then I have built the magnetic concept into the routine and it has very much enhanced the performance.
Thanks for drunks - occasionally.
Bob Latta (aka Troppo Bob)
gallagher
View Profile
Inner circle
1109 Posts

Profile of gallagher
Hey Stperformer, nice story,..
don´t be surprised though,
when you turn up at the first gig,.
to find out,.
the CEO,..
WAS the Drunk(!).

smiles,
gallagher
Ray Bertrand
View Profile
Inner circle
Ottawa, Ontario
1425 Posts

Profile of Ray Bertrand
Well done Stperformer. Handling relationships of all kinds is the key to success.

Rau
Mentalism in Ontario.
Stperformer
View Profile
Loyal user
289 Posts

Profile of Stperformer
Thanks for the nice comments lads.

The gig(s) went extremely well Smile

I definitely owe some poor drunken soul out there a beer LOL
scottyocean
View Profile
Regular user
110 Posts

Profile of scottyocean
Drunks and magic my arch nemesis. I wish I handled some of my drunks better. But I am still here. Congrats on the great outcome.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The side walk shuffle » » Handling Drunks from the Audiences Perspective (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.07 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL