The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » ODYSSEY by Lloyd Barnes // Double-Disc DVD Box Set (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Geraint
View Profile
Regular user
134 Posts

Profile of Geraint

Hey Everyone, I have the great pleasure of being the first to introduce Odyssey by Lloyd Barnes to you on the Café for discussion. Lloyd and I have been friends for 7 or 8 years now, and in that time I've seen him develop these incredible miracles, and been lucky enough to be the only one in the community who knew the method to go out and perform them.

He is by far, the most talented magic creator I've ever known, and I can't wait to hear what your opinions are of his new DVD set that he's got coming out. It has something for everyone... coins, rubber bands, straws & playing cards and will literally give you a whole host of great material to add to your working repertoire, or to perform when out with friends for any hobbyists out there.

Here's what people are saying :

“Some of the most direct and visual work I have ever seen. You would be a fool to miss this!” - Alan Rorrison. Consultant for Dynamo, Creator ‘Smoke’ by Theory 11.

Holly CR#P that's some super visual stuff.... Unreal!” - Titanas. Creator of Titans’ Finger by Paul Harris Presents.

Odyssey is a 22 effect double disk project straight from the fabulously creative mind of Lloyd Barnes.

After over 8 years in the making, Lloyd Barnes (consultant for Channel 4’s six part television magic series ‘Troy.’) is finally releasing some of his most close guarded and sought after secrets on this debut, beautifully shot and packaged, double-disc DVD box set.

On Odyssey, you'll learn 20 of Lloyd’s uniquely visual, direct and practical effects. All of this is taught in expert detail, including professional tips, tricks and nuances learnt from years of performance and refinement.

Released at 4pm (GMT) / 11am EST 31st October Exclusively from Enigma Ltd

Odyssey by Lloyd Barnes // Click Here
oliversmith
View Profile
Loyal user
257 Posts

Profile of oliversmith
This is my review of Odyssey.
Disc 1
Steadfast: The first and third phases were very strong pieces of magic (especially the third when the band melts off the ring on the spectator’s finger). I didn’t like the second phase as it looks like you’re doing something fast with your hands. If you combined the first and third phase with other rubber band material then you would have a great routine.

Slowmo Sandwich: One of my favourite effects. The moment their selection melts between the two other cards looks amazing. Extremely visual and you’re left in a clean position to hand out the cards in the end.

Covert: I didn’t like this. I just fell that a normal card to wallet is stronger.

Sweet Columbia: This is incredible. In my opinion, it’s nearly worth the price of the DVD set. I don’t think the trailer does this effect justice. You don’t touch the sugar and it morphs into coffee. No gimmicks and looks like real magic.

Three in a bed: A nice sandwich trick with a clever subtlety when they take the cards out the box.

Pure: This looks like a camera trick. Only negative would be the restricted viewing angles but I can’t think of a better colour change for a small group.

Moonshine: A raven style vanish without a raven. Again, angles are an issue but it looks very clean.

Spare Change: A fun impromptu effect. A few convincers that Lloyd has added really sells the trick.

Sign Vanish: I really like this. There are no unnatural movements and the coin just seems to melt away.

Loophole: From the trailer, I thought I had seen many similar tricks to this before but Lloyd handling make the link look more open and clean. Combining this with Steadfast would work very well.

Disc 2

Glimmer: This is shown clearly on the trailer. With a bit of worth, this could look very convincing.

Sandswitch: Nice idea and would fit perfectly into a mystery card style routine.
Scarlett utility: This move is used in a lot of different tricks on disc 2. It is a way of openly changing multiple cards.

Face off, Harvey Change and Looper are routines that use the Scarlett utility. These three tricks each adds something to the Scarlett principle.

Only 2wo: This routine can be done without any extra coins and there is one strong moment when the silver coin is thrown into the air and it changes into the copper coin in mid-air.

Bankrupt: I’m not sure about this. I would need to try this out to see if it flies in the real world. At the moment, I prefer other pen/pencil/straw through bills. Daniel Garcia has a great straw through bill on this Garcia Projects.

Barrel change: A slow motion card change. I wouldn't perform this because of the angles but it would look good for a small group or for camera.

!@#$%^&: Some nice moves to make the jacks vanish but I think there are better tricks you could be performing.

Overall, I really enjoyed this DVD set. If you like fast, visual close up tricks then I recommend this DVD. You need to keep in mind that some of these trick are angle sensitive and can only be done to less than 5 people.
Honest Deception Mike
View Profile
Regular user
124 Posts

Profile of Honest Deception Mike
The teasers looked great! Had some strong visual magic moments. Would like to see more to be able to judge properly. Did like the sandswitch. Looks very clean and surprising!
Michael Scanzello

Check out "Insidious" CSB with a NEW killer ending!

See trailers here: http://murphysmagic.com/Product.aspx?id=55048
Available at your Favorite Murphy's Magic Dealer

"Magic is believing in yourself, if you can do that, you can make anything happen." --Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
Lloyd Barnes
View Profile
Elite user
482 Posts

Profile of Lloyd Barnes
Hey all,

I'm just getting to see this thread now. Sorry for the late response. First of all, thanks Oliver Smith for your very honest and clear review, I'm so glad you like it! People are just starting to receive their orders in the post now, so there should be a lot more reviews popping up soon.

Thanks for the interest Mike. A few people have said they would like to see a bit more of the performances. In the next few days, Enigma Ltd will be adding abit more footage from the performances online for you all to get a better understanding of the conent on the box set.

For anyone who hasn't seen the trailer yet, here it is:

Cheers,

Lloyd
Creative & Project Development at Ellusionist

Facebook

Twitter

Instagram
Lloyd Barnes
View Profile
Elite user
482 Posts

Profile of Lloyd Barnes
Also, this is the SandSwitch move that Mike was talking about, for you all to check out too. This is just one of 20 items included on the double disc box set.

Creative & Project Development at Ellusionist

Facebook

Twitter

Instagram
Kevin Schaller
View Profile
Loyal user
Germany
264 Posts

Profile of Kevin Schaller
Whats up guys,

I have seen some of this material two years ago and was really excited to see Odyssey finally being released.
The dvd is really well shot, many angles, slow motion etc. Some effects on this DVD fooled me so badly that I assumed complicated gimmicks to be involved. However, most effects don't use any hard to build gimmicks nor complicated moves. It is what magic should be like - REALISTIC and EASY to execute.

If you buy this you will AT LEAST add 5 routines to your working reportoire.

I am mostly amazed by his sandwich routine and his ring and rubber band routine. You can tell how much work was put in it to make it what it is today.

AMAZING JOB!

Kevin
'Geniuses can make the world a better place or make it fall apart alongside their own minds.” - Kevin Schaller
Owain B. Miles
View Profile
V.I.P.
18 Posts

Profile of Owain B. Miles
Hey Oliver thanks for taking the time to write a great honest review.

I had a lot of fun working and filming with Lloyd on the project, and I really think that you can see this throughout the DVD. It took months of hard work to get this DVD to where we wanted it to be. We even re-filmed it several times as we were unhappy with the way it looked.
The final result has set the bar pretty high for our future releases.

Again thanks for the review and glad you enjoyed the project!

Owain
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » ODYSSEY by Lloyd Barnes // Double-Disc DVD Box Set (0 Likes)
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.27 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL