The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Food for thought » » organisation of tricks, practice and rehearsal? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Martin_H
View Profile
Regular user
Austria
164 Posts

Profile of Martin_H
I´m searching for some self organisation of my repertoire and would like to have your ideas or comments on how you organise your tricks (I think of some index-card-system where I write a trick or slight I work with on cards including source, patter and practice status,.. to have an overview and to know what to rehearse, what is new and so on)
But maybe you have some other or better ideas? your contributions are welcome Smile
Martin
life is real magic
Michael Peterson
View Profile
Inner circle
is where I'm trapped, because of my
4071 Posts

Profile of Michael Peterson
I have a notebook that lists all the tricks I know. I have them broken down into categories, cards, coins, bizarre, mentalism, escapes, flourishes, quickies, etc. I also list which ones will routine together well & the patter for differen't effects, ideas, rehearsel times, notes on how the rehearsel went & reactions from the spectators.

I go through constantly & eliminate things that no longer suit me, I also rediscover old tricks that I can come up with new presentations for.

I would suggest getting "Mastering the art of magic" by Eugene Burger, this is where I learned about using the notebook & I have been doing it ever since(about 2 years).

Seeing all my material in print really helps me to sort through everything, if I'm having trouble with something, I can go through my notebook & set myself straight.

This works for me, perhaps it will for you.
maurile
View Profile
Regular user
San Diego
102 Posts

Profile of maurile
My repertoire is small enough that it's easily manageable as a .txt file in notepad. (No need for an alphabetical or searchable index or anything -- it all fits onto the screen with very little scrolling.)

I've got a pretty simple approach: I just list all my tricks (along with their source) into two major categories: (1) Performable and (2) Not Yet Performable.

Each major category is broken down into (a) cards, (b) coins, and (c) other.

Having everything written down in one place really does help me remember what I need to be practicing. Otherwise, certain effects totally slip my mind.
Alan Wheeler
View Profile
Inner circle
Posting since 2002 with
2038 Posts

Profile of Alan Wheeler
It's wild that this thread came up. I just started keeping a notebook myself. It has one page of effects listed by category (cards, coins, general close-up, etc...) and I pencil in by each effect whether has been performed, is in the practice stage, or needs a presentation written up.

Behind this "table of contents" page comes routine pages, with various groupings of the effects ...

Behind these come the written out presentations.

I'm just starting this process, but it's really helping me.

alleycat Smile
The views and comments expressed on this post may be mere speculation and are not necessarily the opinions, values, or beliefs of Alan Wheeler.
A BLENDED PATH
Christian Reflections on Tarot
Word Crimes
Technology and Faith........Bad Religion
Missing_Link
View Profile
Elite user
442 Posts

Profile of Missing_Link
Yep, a note book is the way to go. I've been keeping one for quite a while. When I'm learning a trick (juggling or magic) I write fairly comprehensive notes about experiences practicing, ideas for routines, gags, which tricks are compatable etc.

I also write down references that I pick up here, and elsewhere, for future use: book titles, web sites, performers to check out.

It's a blast looking back over old notebooks. I've just re-read the section where I was trying to come up with a stage name (not Missing Link - I perform under a different name)and had to laugh at some of the ideas I had entertained.

Slainte

ML
Jimmy Lee
View Profile
Special user
Singapore
682 Posts

Profile of Jimmy Lee
For those into PDA, I list all my tricks, routines and patters in my PDA.
Magically Yours,

Jimmy...
a guy from a tropical island in South East Asia
..oops...where did he disappeared to????
Martin_H
View Profile
Regular user
Austria
164 Posts

Profile of Martin_H
Hey, thanks for the ideas.. I will check Eugene Burgers book and go to create my own notebook!!

Your ideas and experiences are always welcome..

Martin

Smile
life is real magic
Fredrick
View Profile
Loyal user
Seattle
248 Posts

Profile of Fredrick
Martin,

Actually, any of Eugene's books have excellent advise on routining and keeping notebooks...

You may want to see if you can find The Performance of Close-up Magic also. Amazing book.

Smile
"Try to find the humanity in the magic and maybe you'll come up with something of your own. It's the humanity that gets you there, not techniques." Michael Moschen on Creativity
Martin_H
View Profile
Regular user
Austria
164 Posts

Profile of Martin_H
Fredrick,
it´s one of my favourite book, but I wanted more detailed infos...Smile
Martin
life is real magic
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Food for thought » » organisation of tricks, practice and rehearsal? (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL