The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » The Pennies by Giovanni Livera (3 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6 [Next]
Zombie Magic
View Profile
Inner circle
I went out for a beer and now have
8737 Posts

Profile of Zombie Magic
There are also Professionals that have fooled themselves into thinking they kill with an effect.

"Giovanni Livera shows you how a totally impromptu puzzle, a roll of pennies, and solid routine can bring the house down!"

Yelling and holding up your hands for high 5's and insisting that you destroyed the room, is not bringing the house down. It's a puzzle. A bar bet. I'm sure it's clever. I'm sure there is value in in it and you could learn things that will help in other routines.

No one, not even the creator, is bringing the house down. Unless they have a different definition of bringing the house down than I do.
John C
View Profile
Eternal Order
I THINK therefore I wrote
11558 Posts

Profile of John C
I wonder what Mr Giovanni 's fees are? I wonder how many paid performances he has each year and I wonder if he is as good as a large pizza.... In other words, can he feed a family of four.
The ULTIMATE Routine Series: rebirth soon!
mike donoghue
View Profile
Inner circle
1106 Posts

Profile of mike donoghue
Lets face it anyone who has been in magic a while knows how most things work. an entertaining presentation ' a hook ' is what makes all the diference. yes it will be good.probably very good. all most people r saying( justifiably) is, is that it ? Just a puzzle, like the sheep an wolves puzzle in Michael webers lifesavers. best thing to do is wait until it,s aavailable an post a review after that.mike donoghue
vinsmagic
View Profile
Eternal Order
sleeping with the fishes...
10608 Posts

Profile of vinsmagic
This is a very old effect, it is not Giovanni's .
you can find this any where if you goggle it,.i believe Brian Brushwood had this on scam school./
do not buy it ......

Come check out my magic.

http://www.vinnymarini.com
1KJ
View Profile
Inner circle
Warning: We will run out of new tricks in
3530 Posts

Profile of 1KJ
What do you google? The Pennie?
writeall
View Profile
Special user
Midland, Michigan
930 Posts

Profile of writeall
Quote:
On 2013-11-03 16:55, John C wrote:If you look at a trick with your knowledge of knowing how it's done then that's what will be in your mind and you will always believe it's transparent.

The pros have learned to get beyond this phenomenon. They see a trick for what it is and decide it's something they want to show people and they devise a presentation they think is cool and they proceed to perform and tweak it.

The non pros think, jeez, this will never fool anyone. And they move on to their next purchase.

I agree. And as a non-pro myself, this would not be for me.
Jack Straw
View Profile
Special user
Wichita
854 Posts

Profile of Jack Straw
About 2 years ago I did this trick about 8 or 10 times using the knowledge that I gained from Jim Steinmeyer's "Impuzzibilities".

Steinmeyer used it in a triangle instead of a square, and it was presented as a "Bermuda Triangle" type of thing.

I used pieces of macaroni and laid them out on the floor in a large triangle. I only did it when I had a fairly large group (6 or more) of people present. I let the spectators do all of the work, so they knew that I had nothing to do with what was happening.

I can honestly say that I could hear people muttering things like "What the F" and "No way" and That's impossible".

No high fives or yelling from me at all. You have to keep it moving pretty fast so that they can't think about it too much, though. There are things to do to throw people off of figuring out the solution. All in all it was a good thing for me.

Why did I stop using it? No particular reason. I needed floor space and a group of people and some macaroni (all three of which are not normal for my type of magic). Maybe I'll bring it back now.

Is it magic or a puzzle? Well, if you add things into a pile, and the pile does not increase in size, and the magician has not touched anything, isn't that magic?

Either way, it worked for me.

I still wouldn't pay to learn Giovanni's new and improved version of it.

Buy Jim Steinmeyer's "Impuzzibilities" series of pamphlets and get about 3 dozen tricks for the price of "The Pennies".

Nothing against Giovanni Livera at all, you understand.
Jack Straw from Wichita, cut his buddy down
And dug for him a shallow grave, and laid his body down
Half a mile from Tucson, by the morning light
One man gone and another to go, my old buddy you're moving much too slow
We can share the women, we can share the wine
1KJ
View Profile
Inner circle
3530 Posts

Profile of 1KJ
Jack,
Thanks for the source. I see that Jim's book is sold out everywhere. Hopefully it will be back soon.

Any other source for this puzzle?

KJ
Jack Straw
View Profile
Special user
Wichita
854 Posts

Profile of Jack Straw
Glad to help, KJ.

We all know Steinmeyer by reputation, and these may be "puzzles", but I think that most of us could turn it into magic.

I just dug out my "Impuzzibilites" trio of booklets and Steinmeyer credits Doug Henning with taking a trip to India in 1984 and seeing a street performer doing this and showing him how it was done.

I'll be re-reading those booklets tonight. I do know that there was some pretty good stuff in there.
1KJ
View Profile
Inner circle
3530 Posts

Profile of 1KJ
Maybe I should just wait for it to be available again.

You said trio of booklets. On Penguin, I only see one. What are the three entitled?
Jack Straw
View Profile
Special user
Wichita
854 Posts

Profile of Jack Straw
Impuzzibilities (2002).

Further Impuzzibilities (2006).

Subsequent Impuzzibilities (2010).

Here you go, directly from Jim-

http://www.jimsteinmeyer.com/catalog/?cat=249

And I see that there is a fourth volume that I do not have- Ensuing Puzzibilities.

The effect that we are discussing here is from the first one, Impuzzibilities. It's called "Understanding The Bermuda Triangle".
1KJ
View Profile
Inner circle
3530 Posts

Profile of 1KJ
Thank you. I have purchased all four. I would think there is a fun magic effect in there, possibly by combining a few ideas. Also, I have children and "magical" puzzles are a lot of fun for kids. I'm looking forward to this.
KJ
Jack Straw
View Profile
Special user
Wichita
854 Posts

Profile of Jack Straw
I'm pretty sure that you'll find some good usable things in there, KJ.

I did.

Am I still using them? No. But not because they were no good. You know how it is. We buy something today, use it for a while, and then look for the latest "new best thing". Like I said, I'll be reading these again tonight or tomorrow (I've got an appointment soon). There are some things in them that I used for a while, and I'm sure that I can use again.
1KJ
View Profile
Inner circle
3530 Posts

Profile of 1KJ
I understand. I think most of us tend to have about two dozen things we do and we can't possibly do every one of the thousands of good effects..
1KJ
View Profile
Inner circle
3530 Posts

Profile of 1KJ
I am trying to create categories of effects, such as ungimmicked cards, gimmicked cards, memorized deck, coins, household items, restaurant items, etc. I would like to add to that the category of puzzles. In these categories, I want to have my three favorites, and a list of effects to rotate in and out as two additional effects. This gives me three of my favorites in several categories, plus two new ones that get rotated in and out.
Jack Straw
View Profile
Special user
Wichita
854 Posts

Profile of Jack Straw
That's kind of what I do, KJ.

I have a notebook with all of the things that I like and can do, and where to find the effect so that I can look it up again to bone up on it before I start performing it again. Otherwise I forget which things worked well for me, and which are in my performance capabilities. I've only been doing this for about a year, and I lost my original notebook during the summer. So there are plenty of things that I like and can do, but are not in the book!
Jack Straw
View Profile
Special user
Wichita
854 Posts

Profile of Jack Straw
By the way, Jim turned 55 on Friday.

Happy Birthday, Jim!

Did I know that off the top of my head?

Heck no. But I just googled him since we're discussing him here.
John C
View Profile
Eternal Order
I THINK therefore I wrote
11558 Posts

Profile of John C
Most miss the point. It's not the effect. Yes you can Google it and get it for free. That's not the point. The reason Giovanni is selling it it because of his routine. I don't think the trailer is his entire routine.

There are folks on this thread who RAVE over other performers doing routines from the public domain.

But Giovanni does Pennies and he's a nobody. Just because one may think this is a sleeper routine in the right hands it may slay. Why? Because it's not about the effect. The performer slays not the trick.

I've seen performers slay with picking and finding a card. Why? Because it's about the performer not the deck of cards. It's never about the trick or props. Some will just never believe this. It's a shame because these folks will never improve.
The ULTIMATE Routine Series: rebirth soon!
Nala Nosmoht
View Profile
Special user
Surrey,B.C. Canada,
636 Posts

Profile of Nala Nosmoht
I too was baffled by the promo clip. I have Rope, Nut& Knot. Love it!
This promo clip shows more his gregarious,infectious personality, if that is the main requirement
for the routine ....... I'm toast!
1KJ
View Profile
Inner circle
3530 Posts

Profile of 1KJ
Jack,
I have a spreadsheet on the computer that has been my inventory of magic resources. I have been updating it to make it more useful so hopefully, I can sort it different ways to come up with a series of effects for different situations.

John,
I agree with you. It is ALL about the presentation. However, I feel like it is my responsibility to come up with a presentation that fits me. If I try to do Giovanni’s presentation, it probably won’t suit me. As I’m reading this thread, I think I like the idea of a Bermuda presentation. So, personally, I think I am more interested in the work that Jim Steinmeyer has done with this puzzle/effect. Nothing against Giovanni, I have other of his effects/routines/presentations and he has some pretty good stuff.

KJ.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » The Pennies by Giovanni Livera (3 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6 [Next]
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.2 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL