The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The spooky, the mysterious...the bizarre! » » Prof BC - Doppleganger - all you need to know and more.... (540 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3..8~9~10~11~12..18..23..28..33..37~38~39 [Next]
Van Helmont
View Profile
Elite user
488 Posts

Profile of Van Helmont
First time EVER I've had a package delivered to me at 7 PM!
And do they look breathtaking.
I'll follow the Prof's advise to read them (and have them read by as many people possible) prior to performing.
That way the ageing and use will be perfect!

THIS is the new standard in book test production!
The Epiphany Before Christmas: this day (12/23/13) I leave the Café for good!
Dr Spektor
View Profile
Eternal Order
Carcanis
10781 Posts

Profile of Dr Spektor
Mine arrived in Canada! The beavers are singing!
"They are lean and athirst!!!!"
Roslyn
View Profile
Inner circle
UK
3405 Posts

Profile of Roslyn
Hey JustCookin,

I don't have these books but I do have Gh*st so know first hand how great the reproductions are.

With regards your question. I think that if these had been made to look like a modern re-print I'd be concerned about using them in non-English speaking countries. But because they are supposed to be 1st Eds it stands to reason that these would be written in English because that's what they were published in. They're supposed to be.

I understand that it may limit your audiences to those with a better grasp of the English language, but then I would choose very carefully who I performed them for myself even though I'm based in the UK. These aren't the sorts of things one would just whip out at any old venue.

My first performance of Gh*st was at Cambridge University. I've since then I've continued to use it only when I find myself in more sophisticated surroundings. It's not something I do all the time. It's a special piece. For me, if I were to get these books, they would be treated much the same. Sadly these types of venue are few and far between and for the most part it's the good old fashioned Signed Bill in Lemon routine, a straitjacket or the needles trick that pay my rent. Hence my not buying them. They should be used. It'd be a crime just leaving them on a shelf to gather dust.
The Magic Cafe account of The Conwy Jester, Erwyd le Fol formerly known as Roslyn Walker.
My home online
Join me on Facebook
Follow me on twitter
RCP
View Profile
Inner circle
Two Minnie's in The Hell's Half Acre, The Republic of Texas
2183 Posts

Profile of RCP
Question? I have a performance idea I want to post in the Crypt. Do we wish to use the Doppleganger thread already there or start a new Doppleganger performance ideas thread? Prof BC what say you?
PROF BC
View Profile
Inner circle
1445 Posts

Profile of PROF BC
A new thread specifically for performance, I think. Yes?

BC
Phasmologist
RCP
View Profile
Inner circle
2183 Posts

Profile of RCP
Doppleganger Performance Thread up in the crypt.
Mind Guerrilla
View Profile
Inner circle
Queens, NY
2670 Posts

Profile of Mind Guerrilla
Another Doppelgänger thread?

Could we get yet one more, dedicated to helping people keep track of the other five? Smile (ducking)
MagiChrisMitch
View Profile
Special user
702 Posts

Profile of MagiChrisMitch
Here's how my Doppleganger was introduced to the family today:

While out running errands tonight, I stopped by Half Price Books to check for new magic book arrivals. No luck, but I did score some classics in the old but interesting section (alas Doppleganger trio.) Upon my return, I plopped the cheap plastic grocery style bag down on the kitchen table containing my find along with all my other store purchases. The store clerk embedded advertisement bookmarks in all my selections. Both my wife and daughter rummaged through the books and remarked "those smell bad" and "why did you buy such junk?" I said, "hey now don't criticize my great little finds...not only were they a bargain, all of them are such great classics." My wife has a keen eye for spotting all my tricks, the secret workings and gaffs, but after watching her read a couple pages, her reaction was perfect, meaning no reaction at all. These are so under the radar it's unbelievable! And that's how these have made their way into my growing library.
Magicmike1949
View Profile
Special user
643 Posts

Profile of Magicmike1949
Set #55 has found its home in the sunny South, and I am beyond pleased. I don't know who is going to enjoy the performances more; me or my audience! The cleverness built into the books and the routines is a joy to behold. When the creative juices of my fellow owners start flowing, and they obviously already have, this will kick up even another notch. I am at a loss for words to express my gratitude to Prof BC and Dan for making this happen.
justcookin
View Profile
Regular user
122 Posts

Profile of justcookin
Roslyn: much obliged for your answer! I agree to the fullest that these books aren't to be used at any given circumstance.

Thanks again!
Yann SICAMOIS
View Profile
New user
Tourves, France
79 Posts

Profile of Yann SICAMOIS
"The only way to get rid of a temptation is to yield to it. Resist it, and your soul grows sick with longing for the things it has forbidden to itself." Oscar Wilde
Ahhh... page 31.

I'll have the gems in my hands in a few hours. Smile

Better start posting relevant messages as I do not have access to The Crypt yet.
Yann SICAMOIS
Dr Spektor
View Profile
Eternal Order
Carcanis
10781 Posts

Profile of Dr Spektor
http://www.carcosa-collection.com/thresh......2395.jpg

Ready for a parlour presentation....
cbusch55
View Profile
Regular user
197 Posts

Profile of cbusch55
Looks like I am now officially on the bandwagon. Ordered Hound and Poe and received my manual this morning. Anxiously awaiting to go past page 30. It has begun.
RCP
View Profile
Inner circle
2183 Posts

Profile of RCP
Quote:
On 2013-12-13 18:40, Dr Spektor wrote:

Looking good Dr. What's on the bottom shelf?
Dr Spektor
View Profile
Eternal Order
Carcanis
10781 Posts

Profile of Dr Spektor
Mirror serving tray, Stained glass coasters, bowl for snacks, and an ancient aboriginal spirit statuette of course... unless you mean the area 51 mummy just poking a bit into the pic?
Mind Guerrilla
View Profile
Inner circle
Queens, NY
2670 Posts

Profile of Mind Guerrilla
I stopped by to check out the Poe exhibit at the Morgan Library today:
http://www.themorgan.org/exhibitions/exhibition.asp?id=82

Especially noteworthy was a section of the exhibit devoted to authors influenced by Poe. There sat an original "Jekyll & Hyde" manuscript from 1885 sitting right next to an original manuscript of "The Hound of the Baskervilles!" Smile

Photography was prohibited, otherwise I would have snapped some pics.
Wizard of Oz
View Profile
Inner circle
Most people wish I didn't have
5155 Posts

Profile of Wizard of Oz
Excellent choices in books, drink, and glassware Dr Spektor.
Pay no attention to that man behind the curtain.
PROF BC
View Profile
Inner circle
1445 Posts

Profile of PROF BC
Quote:

Love the juxtaposition of antique and contemporary. Exquisite.
Phasmologist
Dr Spektor
View Profile
Eternal Order
Carcanis
10781 Posts

Profile of Dr Spektor
Quote:
On 2013-12-14 07:28, PROF BC wrote:
Quote:

Love the juxtaposition of antique and contemporary. Exquisite.

Thank you!

If/when you might visit Toronto someday, you are cordially invited as honoured guest to my humble gallery of shadows.
Yann SICAMOIS
View Profile
New user
Tourves, France
79 Posts

Profile of Yann SICAMOIS
Oh OK; it was indeed a great thing to wait for the books before jumping to page 31.
And this is by far the greatest book test I have in my collection.
Yann SICAMOIS
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The spooky, the mysterious...the bizarre! » » Prof BC - Doppleganger - all you need to know and more.... (540 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3..8~9~10~11~12..18..23..28..33..37~38~39 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.04 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL