The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Believe it or not... » » Thread From Stomach (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Greenshock
View Profile
Regular user
Vancouver, Canada
149 Posts

Profile of Greenshock
Hey Gents,
I'm just wondering how many of you fellow freaks out there perform the beautiful effect of pulling a thread from your stomach? I would like to hear how each of you present it to your audience as well.

I just recently started performing this about a month and a half ago and absolutely love it. I have figured out a way to make it instantly reset so I can do it while table hopping (believe it or not!). I obviously make it one of my last effects so I have a chance to get the vibe from the spectators if they would enjoy something like this and I never perform it when there are kids at the table (I primarily work in a bar environment). I usually do it as a humorous torn & restored trick gone bad by accidently swallowing it and then pulling it out of my stomach.

Alright, enough of my babbling, let's here your presentations.
Darmoe
View Profile
Special user
Ohio
741 Posts

Profile of Darmoe
O.k. maybe I'm dating myself and soundling like one of those old farts I used to get ***** at for telling me what not to do... BUT! Geek stunts of this kind do not belong in a public venue where people eat... Goth clubs, Vampire Lounges, etc. GO FOR IT! But have some cooth!

... just think, 20 years ago I was getting this same lecture for doing mouth coils in a Steak House...
"I firmly believe that of all the Arts and Crafts of Mentalism, there is nothing more satisfying than one who is a first-class Reader. It is the ultimate in Mentalism..." - Tony Corinda * 13 Steps To Mentalism
Bradley Morgan
View Profile
Special user
702 Posts

Profile of Bradley Morgan
Hey where can I get that trick?
Thanks
"I do not know with what weapons World War 3 will be fought, but World War 4 will be fought with sticks and stones." - Einstein
Magique Hands
View Profile
Loyal user
Lincoln, NE.
247 Posts

Profile of Magique Hands
Magicbrad,

This is not the sort of trick you can "get" at a magic shop or from a website...you either figure it out for yourself, or an 'old-timer' shows you how it's done. Since there are no 'old-timers' left, you are left with only one option.

As for Greenshock, I would be very interested in really knowing for sure how you are re-setting your thread 'For Real'. Please send me a PM. I have a friend who performs this effect in a sideshow (Jay Humann...maybe you've heard of him) and when done properly it is only as resettable as the performer is "pain-proof", as it HURTS 'For Real'.

- - Troy
"If you go around sprinkling Woofle Dust on everything... people will think 'My... What an odd character." www.magicmafia.com
MagicBrent
View Profile
Inner circle
2574 Posts

Profile of MagicBrent
Plus, if you're refering to Blaine's method, it's all over the net. I assume the "reset" method involves raising your shirt up in different "areas" where you have the necessary setup. Smile
Slim Price
View Profile
Inner circle
1935 - 2006
1326 Posts

Profile of Slim Price
There are lots of "old farts" around! I have almost 50 years in the world of magic and sideshows, usually doing both in the same shows. There is no reason to separate them if a show is presented properly. As mentioned before, "Geek Magic" is offensive. A geek was, and perhaps is, an old drunk or junkie who would generally eat disgusting things for a fix.Such a person would be considered the lowest form in a sideshow. I have retired mostly, still teaching the arts to those who sincerely respect them.
You can find me and lots of other "old farts" at our website, along with a lot of real,and correct, information shared by those who have "been there, done that! Spend a few hours reading the posts, and sign the guestbook.
http://www.sideshow-freaks.com/sideshow_......tocf.htm
sanscan@tds.net

"I will never bitter be, as long as I can laugh at me!"

"The people who were dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music"
tim_mantis
View Profile
Regular user
UK
117 Posts

Profile of tim_mantis
I was browsing through to see what the net could offer on 'Blaine's method' and the best it could come up with was that he uses a layer of fake skin and has the thread concealed inside!! Smile

Tim
Slim Price
View Profile
Inner circle
1935 - 2006
1326 Posts

Profile of Slim Price
From Slim & Krista Price
Tim, it looks like you are going too fast and trying to pick up all the methods overnight, without realizing the dangers and the focus needed to properly do a show. This is not a criticism, but some free advice from one of the "old farts." (John Gresham was one) I'd suggest you get a copy of Swami/Mantra and a copy of Sorcerer's Apprentice (Tahir Shah) and do a little homework. Use them with moderation, the things you want to do are dangerous. Best, get a teacher who knows the stuff done the old ways... Usually they are not things you find in the magic store. If you will allow it I'd like to help you.
Do you know about the sideshow discussion Group? Search <Slim Price> and you'll find it. Get acquainted...
sanscan@tds.net

"The people who were dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music"
tim_mantis
View Profile
Regular user
UK
117 Posts

Profile of tim_mantis
Slim and Krista,

I think you misunderstood my post.

When I said I was browsing through the net for methods of the Brahmo thread, I was interested in whether or not the laity had stumbled across the correct method. The purpose of my post was to say that it seems obvious they haven't!

I have a copy of Swami Mantra, and knew Jon Gresham for a few years before he died. In fact, I have inherited (of sorts) his world-famous fire eating act with full support and enthusiasm from his widow Pat.

I'm not one for plagiarising other people's presentations and ideas, but I was asked to resurrect and perform the act for the International Brotherhood of Magicians British Ring Convention this year by Eddie Dawes. I used Jon's original props on loan from Pat. The performance recieved excellent reviews and a video of the show is available to anybody interested.

Incidentally, I have quite frequently browsed your discussion group, and I am a big fan of your work! I glady accept your offer of help as I am most definitely still learning (as I presume is the case with us all).

I appreciate that there are many young people who want to jump on the sideshow bandwagon in order to do 'cool tricks' at parties, etc. Many have the spurious opinion that thy are invincible and know it all. I can assure you I am not one of these! I also think it's commendable that you offered your help rather than advising not to go near this area, as many would.

I look forward to chatting to you in the (hopefully near) future!

Tim Smile
Slim Price
View Profile
Inner circle
1935 - 2006
1326 Posts

Profile of Slim Price
Thank you very much for your response. I made a mistake in thinking you were a young newbie, who needed a little slowing down.
I tend to err on the side of caution, with so many kids getting hurt in order to do a cool trick. I apologize.
Slim
PS, look at your private messages for my Pennance... <G>
sanscan@tds.net

The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Believe it or not... » » Thread From Stomach (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL