The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » The Extractor E2 By Rob Bromley And Peter Nardi (16 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7~8~9~10~11 [Next]
drphil
View Profile
Elite user
440 Posts

Profile of drphil
The Extractor is my favorite utility for cards. Ive used it a lot I like how they can choose any card. They sign it they put it into the middle of a deck then close the box themselves. All this is done while I look away. As far as they are concerned at this point I have no way of controlling their chosen card. This provides a excellent and fun situation for me. Not only can I know their card I have it in my hand ready to load into whatever I want to use at the time. Sometimes another deck reversed,sometimes in my wallet or a prediction envelope out from the begining, or a clear box that has an folded card for all to see. This is a great utility that works well combined with any card to impossible location. IMO no comparison to just p*****g off a card that you had to control in front for all to see. The hidden and impossible aspect of the control is what this is all about.
videoman
View Profile
Inner circle
6198 Posts

Profile of videoman
I believe that specs definitely do notice the fairness and cleanliness of burying their card into the middle of the deck while it is in the box. I don't think they are consciously aware of the difference, but the added impossibility absolutely registers with them.

The new version is very nice. Being able to switch boxes in a matter of seconds is a HUGE improvement. I use it more than I did the previous version simply because I don't feel a need to be so careful with it. I can have the Extractor banging around in my pocket all day along with a regular deck of cards and when they get too beat up, just easily switch it out. Being able to use almost any style of poker-sized card is a nice bonus too, that I really didn't appreciate until after I had the E2.
videoman
View Profile
Inner circle
6198 Posts

Profile of videoman
Hey guys, don't overlook the great pickpocket routine using the Extractor that Peter describes on the DVD.
I think because it is not a card to impossible location effect, folks tend to ignore it, but don't make the mistake of underestimating it.

Plus, the problem with the routine on the DVD is that it utilizes a force deck and extra seals for the card box. All that is totally unnecessary and just complicates things. I do a simplified version that's just as strong.
The nice thing is that it is super easy to do and requires no palming and no jacket. You can do it in shorts and a tank top (but maybe not this time of year). All you need is to be able to comfortably fit 2 decks into one of your pockets.
Just keep the Extractor in the same pocket as a regular deck. I prefer my left front jeans pocket.

You tell them you're going to do a really different type of card trick. Have a card selected and signed. Then a super easy, no heat switch while you briefly turn away as they sign their card.
They replace it in Extractor. You patter about how pickpockets have actually become so advanced and skillful that nowadays they can actually take the cash or credit cards from a victim's wallet without even having to remove the wallet itself. So it can be hours or days before someone even discovers they've been robbed. You say you're going to do something similar using the deck of cards, yada, yada, yada. But it's an intriguing storyline that I find most people become very interested in. Especially anyone who has visited Europe recently.
So you quickly reach into your pocket and pull their signed card out of the middle of the box while it's in your pocket. Set it face down momentarily and don't reveal it yet.
Remove the deck from your pocket and hand it to them and ask them to find their card. They can't of course because you turn over the face down card and it is their signed card.

I started doing this when I first got Extractor on what I thought would just be a temporary basis because it required essentially no practice and no jacket (which I rarely wear) while I perfected a more difficult card to pocket or shoe routine. But I surprisingly discovered that it went over so well that I have kept performing it quite a lot. You get credit for great skill and folks find it much more amazing than you would think. Another plus is that the plot is kind of different than the usual fare of finding their card in a weird location or reversed in the deck or something, a lot of people have seen that stuff on TV. So just because it isn't a card to pocket or impossible location don't discount it before trying it. Especially for those occasions when you aren't wearing a jacket or sport coat. Another nice thing it that it is so easy and looks so fair that you are free to completely concentrate on your presentation.

So give it a try, it's super easy and always ready to go if you carry your Extractor along with a regular deck as I always do. Not needing a coat or jacket is a huge plus for me.
saysold1
View Profile
Eternal Order
Recovering Cafe addict with only
10735 Posts

Profile of saysold1
Quote:
On 2013-12-13 02:26, videoman wrote:
Hey guys, don't overlook the great pickpocket routine using the Extractor that Peter describes on the DVD.
I think because it is not a card to impossible location effect, folks tend to ignore it, but don't make the mistake of underestimating it.

Plus, the problem with the routine on the DVD is that it utilizes a force deck and extra seals for the card box. All that is totally unnecessary and just complicates things. I do a simplified version that's just as strong.
The nice thing is that it is super easy to do and requires no palming and no jacket. You can do it in shorts and a tank top (but maybe not this time of year). All you need is to be able to comfortably fit 2 decks into one of your pockets.
Just keep the Extractor in the same pocket as a regular deck. I prefer my left front jeans pocket.

You tell them you're going to do a really different type of card trick. Have a card selected and signed. Then a super easy, no heat switch while you briefly turn away as they sign their card.
They replace it in Extractor. You patter about how pickpockets have actually become so advanced and skillful that nowadays they can actually take the cash or credit cards from a victim's wallet without even having to remove the wallet itself. So it can be hours or days before someone even discovers they've been robbed. You say you're going to do something similar using the deck of cards, yada, yada, yada. But it's an intriguing storyline that I find most people become very interested in. Especially anyone who has visited Europe recently.
So you quickly reach into your pocket and pull their signed card out of the middle of the box while it's in your pocket. Set it face down momentarily and don't reveal it yet.
Remove the deck from your pocket and hand it to them and ask them to find their card. They can't of course because you turn over the face down card and it is their signed card.

I started doing this when I first got Extractor on what I thought would just be a temporary basis because it required essentially no practice and no jacket (which I rarely wear) while I perfected a more difficult card to pocket or shoe routine. But I surprisingly discovered that it went over so well that I have kept performing it quite a lot. You get credit for great skill and folks find it much more amazing than you would think. Another plus is that the plot is kind of different than the usual fare of finding their card in a weird location or reversed in the deck or something, a lot of people have seen that stuff on TV. So just because it isn't a card to pocket or impossible location don't discount it before trying it. Especially for those occasions when you aren't wearing a jacket or sport coat. Another nice thing it that it is so easy and looks so fair that you are free to completely concentrate on your presentation.

So give it a try, it's super easy and always ready to go if you carry your Extractor along with a regular deck as I always do. Not needing a coat or jacket is a huge plus for me.

Thanks for reminding us of that one - I may try it this weekend for a gig!

Even though you don't need a jacket for this routine, doesn't the Extractor gimmick get a little squished if loading repetitively to your pant pocket? I'm just saying this may be more practical by using a jacket so that Extractor doesn't get beat up Smile
Creator of The SvenPad Supreme(R) line of premium, made in the USA utility props. https://svenpads.com/
Saturn UK
View Profile
Inner circle
2561 Posts

Profile of Saturn UK
Now you can change for a new box in a few minutes at most the box getting damaged is not really an issue now.
www.saturnmagic.co.uk

#theshopwithstock Pleased to be different!

FACEBOOK: www.facebook.com/saturnmagic.co.uk
saysold1
View Profile
Eternal Order
10735 Posts

Profile of saysold1
Good point !
Creator of The SvenPad Supreme(R) line of premium, made in the USA utility props. https://svenpads.com/
AJ MAJIC
View Profile
Loyal user
275 Posts

Profile of AJ MAJIC
I like that presentation videoman ;-) I'm gonna do it with my jacket though, as I
have 2 of the older extractors and I want to preserve them as long as possible.
I also use "the box guard" to protect them.
EZrhythm
View Profile
Inner circle
Only three EZ payments for a PDF of my
1544 Posts

Profile of EZrhythm
EXCELLENT, videoman! It's like Oz Pearlman's, Clutch with an extra smashing level of impossibility.
How many magicians does it take to change a lightbulb? Regardless, for magicians darkness is a time for d'lite.
saysold1
View Profile
Eternal Order
10735 Posts

Profile of saysold1
Quote:
On 2013-12-13 15:34, EZrhythm wrote:
EXCELLENT, videoman! It's like Oz Pearlman's, Clutch with an extra smashing level of impossibility.

Exactly - I thought the same thing. I loved clutch but rarely use it.
mrpiper
View Profile
Regular user
Georgia
131 Posts

Profile of mrpiper
Just for fun this evening, I used my "gold" extractor for the signed card to my shoe. As you all know of course, the card is never actually in my shoe, but everyone is CONVINCED that it came from there. I almost laughed myself silly at how my victim reacted when I handed her the card to unfold telling her it was a "slight of foot" illusion and to pardon that the card may smell a little like my feet! TONS of fun and laughs. I can steal a card to any location as well as the next guy, but this is just so easy and fun. I don't suppose I will by an E2 anytime soon as I have used this one for a very long time with no real wear that affects performance, but I just can not recommend it enough.
videoman
View Profile
Inner circle
6198 Posts

Profile of videoman
Quote:
On 2013-12-13 20:57, mrpiper wrote:
Just for fun this evening, I used my "gold" extractor for the signed card to my shoe. As you all know of course, the card is never actually in my shoe, but everyone is CONVINCED that it came from there. I almost laughed myself silly at how my victim reacted when I handed her the card to unfold telling her it was a "slight of foot" illusion and to pardon that the card may smell a little like my feet! TONS of fun and laughs. I can steal a card to any location as well as the next guy, but this is just so easy and fun. I don't suppose I will by an E2 anytime soon as I have used this one for a very long time with no real wear that affects performance, but I just can not recommend it enough.

Yeah, the Extractor makes those types of effects so easy and fun to do, and unlike many gimmicks actually makes it look more impossible IMHO. I don't own them but it would probably work great with Clarity box and Mark Southworth's new Box too.

As far as Extractor getting beat up in your pocket, I did mention that your pocket needs to COMFORTABLY hold 2 decks. I don't wear super tight-fitting pants, more of a relaxed fit and it works fine. But of course it can be done even more easily if you are wearing a coat or jacket, but I usually don't have that option. Plus, as I mentioned previously, with E2 it easy to switch for a new box so wear and tear is no longer an issue for me. The box takes all the abuse and with reasonable care the gimmick should remain perfectly fine for a long, long time.
The other reason your pocket can't be too tight is that the specs should obviously not be aware that you actually have 2 decks in it. So the outline of the decks should not be too visible when inside your pants pocket. A little bit is fine, but having too tight of a pocket is going to make any trick using that pocket too difficult to do smoothly. All of my pants work fine.

I have owned Oz's Clutch DVD for about a year but have never performed it, but you are correct, it is very similar to the pickpocket effect. I have even toyed with the idea of placing the Extractor in a spectator's pocket like in Clutch, but that complicates things so I have never really sat down and tried to work out the details. I'm sure with some thought someone could work out a Clutch routine in the spec's pocket using the Extractor. However, I'm not convinced the extra shenanigans required would be worth it. But if someone develops a great idea for it let me know, I'll happily eat my words.
EZrhythm
View Profile
Inner circle
1544 Posts

Profile of EZrhythm
Great story, mrpiper! You could name that routine Desinex for when your audience has an itch to see what is afoot.

Performing a "clutching" effect would be a fantastic addition to a multiphase routine so as to get more use with the prop. I would have no issue placing it in to a spectator's pocket.

Let's not forget that business cards and credit cards may also be extracted for a commercially personalized good time!
How many magicians does it take to change a lightbulb? Regardless, for magicians darkness is a time for d'lite.
videoman
View Profile
Inner circle
6198 Posts

Profile of videoman
Quote:
On 2013-12-13 23:26, EZrhythm wrote:

Performing a "clutching" effect would be a fantastic addition to a multiphase routine so as to get more use with the prop. I would have no issue placing it in to a spectator's pocket.

I have no problem with placing it in a spectator's shirt pocket either. But ideally, I would like to show the deck again as in the pickpocket routine and that's where it gets more complicated.
But then again, perhaps that isn't really necessary or could be done with a time delay under misdirection of something else. Still not sure it adds enough to warrant any extra complications though.
But now you got me thinking about it again. Thanks!!!
EZrhythm
View Profile
Inner circle
1544 Posts

Profile of EZrhythm
You are Very Welcome!

For a third phase the signed card could be placed back in to an open deck and placed in your own pocket. In this instance unknowingly a deck vanish takes place and the audience member is now asked to pick the card out of the deck in your pocket. When they go to retrieve the card it is the only card in your pocket and becomes their souvenir.
Another option- Have the card in the pocket change to a business card or be attached to your business card as desired.
Peter Nardi
View Profile
Inner circle
2238 Posts

Profile of Peter Nardi
Really glad you're all liking the E2. Please keep the ideas coming.

Regards

Peter
Daren
View Profile
Inner circle
1983 Posts

Profile of Daren
Hi guys, with the E2 gimmick, will this last a lifetime or is there a chance with continued use this will wear out over time?
Daren
View Profile
Inner circle
1983 Posts

Profile of Daren
Anyone?
Sean Giles
View Profile
Inner circle
Cambridge/ UK
3727 Posts

Profile of Sean Giles
Can't the box be changed on the original Extractor, with a bit of care?
reignofsound
View Profile
Inner circle
Glasgow, UK
2060 Posts

Profile of reignofsound
Quote:
On 2013-12-23 09:21, Sean Giles wrote:
Can't the box be changed on the original Extractor, with a bit of care?

Yes
videoman
View Profile
Inner circle
6198 Posts

Profile of videoman
Daren, with reasonable care it should last a very long time.
It is only used for a moment and resides inside the case at all times. The case can be easily changed whenever you want or need to.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » The Extractor E2 By Rob Bromley And Peter Nardi (16 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7~8~9~10~11 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2023 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.05 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL