The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricks & Effects » » The Wizard Is Dead » » TOPIC IS LOCKED (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

jbadman
View Profile
Special user
London
986 Posts

Profile of jbadman
In another thread in here, I found the effect described. Sounds pretty good. It's a telephone effect in which you have the person on the other end draw something and you then describe what they drew. There's some more info in the 'Penny for your Thoughts' section in here.

Jamie.
http://www.underground-collective.com - check out our new DVD now!
Greg Arce
View Profile
Inner circle
6732 Posts

Profile of Greg Arce
Well, I got it. I like it a lot. It shows a lot of thinking behind it and throws in some interesting approaches. I especially like Yaniv's idea of how first to start the process and how to end it afterwards.
I'm sure that those that have never attempted something like this might get it and discard as too simple, but it would be their loss.
Yaniv has built a very interesting structure to create an event. It's not a magic trick or even mental magic... what you are trying to do is create an event. Is it 100% foolproof...No... but you can get really close a lot of the time and even end on a positive note.
I like this style of mentalism... working without a net and still trying the quadruple sommersaults.
Good job, Yaniv
Greg
One of my favorite quotes: "A critic is a legless man who teaches running."
Michael Singer
View Profile
New user
Seattle
33 Posts

Profile of Michael Singer
Most will regard "The Wizard is Dead" as an advanced effect for advanced mentalists, and I'd agree. And yet, I thought I'd share my opinion from another perspective, that of someone just starting out in mentalism. (I know, I know....) Effects like this are the holy grail of mentalism to overly cerebral neophytes like me. I admittedly won't be performing this for a long while, but the desire to do so will shape what and how I learn along the way. For me, Yaniv's manuscript, complete as it is, is just a beginning. It will give me much food for thought, in the same way books by Banachek, Knepper, Cassidy, Osterlind, and Jermay have been doing. There's some truly subtle and brilliant thinking here, and it's well-explained too, in an almost poetic style at times.

A few days ago my most intelligent, logical, skeptical, and "magic is a puzzle to be solved" friend asked me what mentalism was, as opposed to the "magic" he's seen me do for years. To demonstrate, I did Osterlind's "Slow-Motion C***** T***" followed up with Banchek's "Letters in a Word" revelation. When I started revealing the letters of the word he wrote one by one he was BLOWN AWAY. I have never seen him so freaked out by any effect I've done for him. It was as if I had been crawling around inside his mind, and it spooked him. That impromptu performance gave me a new experiential understanding of the essence of mentalism: it's all about performance, suggestion, and state management. Yaniv's manuscript delves into this stuff in detail, in the context of a single sleight-less, gaff-less drawing duplication effect that's done over the phone.

If you've ever ever pondered how the telephone as a medium is at once distancing and intimacy-forming, how a voice coming out of a speaker held next to your ear can make you laugh, make you cry, make your heart pound, or give you chills...you'll have a sense of the power of this effect in the right hands. It's not about the drawing. And I suspect that if you can learn to do it with just words (and silence) over a telephone line, then you'll have mastered the essence of mentalism and be able to incorporate the same principles into more complex effects using an even bigger palette of techiques.

"The Wizard is Dead" is a simple effect from the participant's perspective. She draws something on a piece of paper, and the person on the other end of the phone tells her what she drew. It's beautiful in its seeming simplicity for the participant...and elegant in its hidden complexity for the performer, because just like invisibly loading a lemon under a cup, reading someone's mind is a skill that takes years to master.

I look forward to eventually mastering this effect, and to all the learning both conscious and unconscious along the way. Yaniv's ideas are a gift to the mentalism community, and I hope he shares more in the future.

Mike
"The answer is never the answer. What's really interesting is the mystery." - Ken Kesey
sludge
View Profile
Special user
milton keynes, england
530 Posts

Profile of sludge
I do believe that TWID is both exceptional and inspiring. I hope Yaniv is only selling a limited number of these?
shrek
View Profile
New user
South India
21 Posts

Profile of shrek
Hello, I am wanting to know what is the effect? I am a start up, pleasing can I have some very details, I am wanting to buy. I am learning change in pocket very good, I am wanting to learn how to copy picture from thoughts, is this my tricks?
shrink
View Profile
Inner circle
2609 Posts

Profile of shrink
I would be more interested to know what the success rate is since this not 100%. Can someone post a field test?
Yaniv Deautsch
View Profile
Special user
Israel
529 Posts

Profile of Yaniv Deautsch
Success rate is a personal issue.
I don't believe it is possible to tell in advance how many times you will be able to pull this of...

I have heard that there are some reviews of my effect/manuscript on TRI and PEA network.
Since the people who posted those reviews chose to post them in a closed forums I will have to assume that they are negative reviews.
May I ask the reviewers to post those reviews here?
It may be sound like a strange request but my reasons for asking are as follows:
The members of the Café will be able to see both sides of the coin{though I feel there is only one side to the coin in this case}.
I will be able to comment on those reviews.
I also will be able to make sure you are not giving anything away in your reviews.
I believe that people who pay good money for this ahould be feel free to post their reviews anywhere they feel they should.
Believe me there will be no hard feelings what so ever.
In fact,it will may be a begining af a great friendship.
I mean that.
You may also have some good points in your reviews.
I might be learning something from your reviews.
Feel free to post your reviews here even if they are negative ones.
Best,

Yaniv Deautsch
nimrod
View Profile
Special user
881 Posts

Profile of nimrod
"Since the people who posted those reviews chose to post them in a closed forums I will have to assume that they are negative reviews."

why ? I can't see the connection.
shrink
View Profile
Inner circle
2609 Posts

Profile of shrink
Success rate is personal, but I personally don't go in for manuscripts that "stimulate thinking". For me they have to work at least most of the time.

I agree with Yaniv. I think its unfair to post reviews in closed forums. Unfair to him and others who are not part of the "cleek". Its like talking behind someones back.

Lets hope there will be some good reviews after enough time has passed to test it out.
Greg Arce
View Profile
Inner circle
6732 Posts

Profile of Greg Arce
Just to make sure that nothing is misunderstood, I can say I belong to some of those "underground" sites, but my post was similar there. I guess the only thing I added that might be looked at as negative is I said I thought the price was maybe a bit high for what you get... but the selller can put the price at any rate they want. And I thought it might have been better suited in a book which contained other similar ideas or more of Yaniv's effects.
But, as I've said, price is a subjective things... what appears high to some is extremely low to others.
We have had major negative comments about the price of our Devil's Cola Bottle yet some of the pros who have bought it think it's still too low because they don't want many to get it.
Go figure.
Greg
Lord Of The Horses
View Profile
Inner circle
5406 Posts

Profile of Lord Of The Horses
I don't think that any review posted in one of those closed forums should necessarily be posted here too.

It should be the choice of the poster to do so and he should feel free to do it or not.
Then you'll rise right before my eyes, on wings that fill the sky, like a phoenix rising!
Greg Arce
View Profile
Inner circle
6732 Posts

Profile of Greg Arce
My only thought would be you probably would have sold more at a lower price or it could have been a special effect within a book of your own effects.
It's a usuable idea that I will probably adapt to some of my own premises.
Greg
nimrod
View Profile
Special user
881 Posts

Profile of nimrod
If you use the effect in your shows, it easily worth the 40$. I prefer paying 40$ for a solid effect than 40$ to a book I'm not going to use anything from. don't know about TWID but if it as good as Yaniv claims and is a worker, it should be 100$ and more (and this comes from a man that can't stand Yaniv as a person...).

Nimrod

p.s. let be honest. now we all wish PK Touches had been sold for 200$. for me it worth 1000$ easily.
Greg Arce
View Profile
Inner circle
6732 Posts

Profile of Greg Arce
Nimrod, you are absolutely right about PK touches, but when I saw that I had seen nothing like it. However, Yaniv's idea is based on many things already out there and a few of his own so it's not a completely new effect.
It still has some interesting ideas within so it is not something that I would complain about, but I know others might because they would feel that the price was a bit high for something that is not completely "new".
As I've said, Yaniv has every right in the world to price it however he sees fit, but he also has to accept that some might feel it's overpriced. I also don't feel that it gives anyone the right to pass his stuff around illegaly just because they either don't like the price of it or have some personal issues with Yaniv.
I'm still going to try certain things within the manuscript so it was useful to me in certain ways.
Greg
Yaniv Deautsch
View Profile
Special user
Israel
529 Posts

Profile of Yaniv Deautsch
Greg I respect your opinion.
All I meant is that right now you believe that the price is a little high.
If you change your opinion regarding that over time please let us know.
DJG
View Profile
Inner circle
1296 Posts

Profile of DJG
I sent Yaniv my money a few months ago (maybe a little over a month, but it seems like forever!), and still have not seen anything. However Yaniv is polite enough to let me know he has not seen anything yet.

Yaniv, Could it be your mail system, or my bad luck??? I'm dying to see it!!!!!!!
nimrod
View Profile
Special user
881 Posts

Profile of nimrod
Try "Neal Roter", maybe he could help...
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricks & Effects » » The Wizard Is Dead » » TOPIC IS LOCKED (0 Likes)
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL