The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricky business » » Gig sounds fishy (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

jiayi
View Profile
Veteran user
Canada
313 Posts

Profile of jiayi
Got a call from a company about doing some Christmas shows, the person asked me for 2 separate dates and want me to do about 5 shows each date, from noon to midnight, I was only available for the first date, not the second. So 30 minutes later, he called me back and asked me if I was available for another date, which I was. Then he asked me if I take credit card, I said I only take cheque (I generally do shows for around $1000 or under). Then he told me that the company is only able to pay by credit card and in US funds (I live in Canada).

I tried to call back the company's number on my caller ID, but couldn't get through the line. We haven't discussed anything in detail yet, but the person wants me to meet him in person to discuss. I think I will do that and see what happens.

The whole thing sounds fishy to me, has something like this happened to you?
Scott Burton
View Profile
Inner circle
1131 Posts

Profile of Scott Burton
Certainly a reason to ask more questions. Ask for your fee in advance perhaps.
Eldon
View Profile
Inner circle
Virden, IL
1137 Posts

Profile of Eldon
Quite a few years ago I did a trade show for IBM. They wanted to pay with a CC. It turned out that if we went through normal channels it would take quite a while to receive payment. So I started taking CC's.
Since then I have had quite a few company's use CC for payment. It's not that unusual.
misterillusion
View Profile
Special user
Roseville, California
748 Posts

Profile of misterillusion
If I did not take credit cards I would have about 5 per cent fewer bookings.
May every day be magic!

http://www.misterillusion.com
Vick
View Profile
Inner circle
It's taken me 10+ years to make
1120 Posts

Profile of Vick
Actually that doesn't sound too fishy
For some corporations it's much easier for them to pay with a credit card than with a check Due to the way they're structured
Of course do your due diligence you know the name of the corporation will come up on Google find out about them. Most corporations website lists the company officers
I'm surprised you don't take credit cards you could be leaving business on the table
Unique, Thought Provoking & Amazing Magical Entertainment Experiences
Illusions By Vick
Blog of a real world working magician
Magic would be great, if not for magicians
Rimbaud
View Profile
Loyal user
Saint Louis
291 Posts

Profile of Rimbaud
If you have a smart phone, (or an ipad) you can be taking credit cards within a few minutes. (I use Square, myself, and love it.)
http://www.DanLaddthehypnotist.com
"Saying 'Everyone is special' is just another way of saying 'No one is.'" --Dash from The Incredibles
Rodney Palmer
View Profile
Inner circle
1317 Posts

Profile of Rodney Palmer
I had a Contract w/Verizon Wireless doing 10 Shows per year. They always paid by Credit Card. If I wanted to wait for a Check it would take up to 90 days per show for each check and that is why they prefer to just use a Credit Card. Does not sound fishy to me yet. Meet with them. Also if you have a PayPal Account you can send them an Invoice and they can pay by Credit Card as the company does not need a PayPal Account. If you do not have a PayPal Account just set one up and if you need help sending the company an Invoice I would be more than happy to help you out.

Rodney
"Creating Memories That Last A Lifetime"

In order to keep "MAGIC ALIVE" Please become a Mentor to a Young Person.
jiayi
View Profile
Veteran user
Canada
313 Posts

Profile of jiayi
Thanks for the advice guys.

Here is the update. I am meeting up with the person tomorrow, I told him that I could accept credit payment by paypal, he never used it. but today he called me and asked me to bring my bank info so he could set up the account for me. Sounds strange, I never had anybody asked for my bank info.

by the way, he claimed to be from eBay enterprise.
Magician Shaun
View Profile
Special user
Huntington BCH, CA
924 Posts

Profile of Magician Shaun
Why would you need to give someone your bank information for them to pay you with PayPal? That doesn't sound right at all.
Donald Dunphy
View Profile
Inner circle
Victoria, BC, Canada
7565 Posts

Profile of Donald Dunphy
When they ask for your bank info, on top of everything else, it does sound pretty fishy.

- Donald
Donald Dunphy is a Victoria Magician, British Columbia, Canada.
Magician Shaun
View Profile
Special user
Huntington BCH, CA
924 Posts

Profile of Magician Shaun
If someone wanted to pay you with a wire transfer, for god knows what reason, that would make sense. If someone says they are going to pay you with PayPal all they need is an email address, not your bank info.
Donald Dunphy
View Profile
Inner circle
Victoria, BC, Canada
7565 Posts

Profile of Donald Dunphy
In addition to Paypal or Square, another option might be INTERAC e-transfer.

Someone sent me some money once using that method, and I'd never heard of it before.

Like paypal, all they needed was my email, and not my bank info.

- Donald
Donald Dunphy is a Victoria Magician, British Columbia, Canada.
Starrpower
View Profile
Inner circle
4070 Posts

Profile of Starrpower
SCAM!

Run, and run fast.
Starrpower
View Profile
Inner circle
4070 Posts

Profile of Starrpower
I have been waiting to hear how this turned out. What happened when you met?
Starrpower
View Profile
Inner circle
4070 Posts

Profile of Starrpower
Maybe he met with the guy and something REALLY bad happened. So bad he could not return to this thread!
jiayi
View Profile
Veteran user
Canada
313 Posts

Profile of jiayi
Sorry for the delay, I wanted to wait until I got the funds in the bank before I confirmed the legitimacy of the gig. And I got it today! I was booked for 2 days for 10 shows for the company, it is a big warehouse where the managers want some entertainment for the shift people during breaks, so 2 of my shows are at 2am! I used the Square to take the credit card payment, it was really easy to use, highly recommended! Thank you guys for the all of the advices, you guys are awesome! Lesson learned, stay alert but keep an open mind, you never know!
MickNZ
View Profile
Special user
Auckland, New Zealand
576 Posts

Profile of MickNZ
Did they ask you if you're prepared to wear a pair of cement shoes?
dearwiseone
View Profile
Inner circle
Portland, OR
1143 Posts

Profile of dearwiseone
Jiayi,
Great job and get SQUARE. Accepting credit cards is the norm now. If you're not doing it, you're living in the past! It's very easy, especially for full-time pros who make a living performing.

- Kevin
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricky business » » Gig sounds fishy (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL