The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Books, Pamphlets & Lecture Notes » » Mr. Mavens Books (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
Xia
View Profile
Loyal user
London, England
286 Posts

Profile of Xia
I have heard a lot of stuuf about the books that Max has written but am struggling to find any. Can you give me the names of some and maybe some dealers that stock 'em and recomend which are the best to go for? Also I heard that he has written some important stuff on the ideas of "eqivoque" any ideas?? One more while I'm here I'm very interested in the idea of double entendre where can I find out more about this?? Smile Smile Smile
"They say time is money...i say time is precious"
"They say the whole is much more than the sum of its Parts...Thats why a man is much more than the sum of his Past!"
dAvId tOnG
View Profile
Regular user
sInGaPoRe
179 Posts

Profile of dAvId tOnG
The only book you can still get now by Max Maven is Redivider. The rest of his books are out of print now and command a very high price if someone is willing to sell his copy. His best to date is the Color Series which is extremely rare and few would part with it. Other bks of his include Thabbatical and Thavant, both out of print too. The equivoque booklet you are referring to is called Verbal Control: A Treatise on the under explored art of equivoque, tecnhique and applications. You might still get a copy from some dealers.
Scott Cram
View Profile
Inner circle
2677 Posts

Profile of Scott Cram
Actually, it's not difficult to find "Focus", which is a book of 60 different packet tricks with a deck of cards.
magicuncle
View Profile
Regular user
Elgin, IL
126 Posts

Profile of magicuncle
I would also recommend Max's Video Mind series. This three video set (VHS or DVD) has Max demonstrating the things you are interested in such as equivoque.
wayman
View Profile
Special user
England - Sunderland
587 Posts

Profile of wayman
I don't have any of his books under his stage name but I do have booklets under his aka .

I have
Masque.. ( an excellent routine)
Goldstein's Gallery ( a collection of 14 polychromatic card magic)
Classic tackler ( 10 classic takes on effects)

and all are very good
MisterE21
View Profile
Elite user
Salt Lake City, UT
426 Posts

Profile of MisterE21
I got Verbal Control from H&R books; check auction sites and used book sites, as some of his out of print stuff does pop up and can sometimes be had for a reasonable price...

E
Your EFFECT is only as good as its AFFECT.
John LeBlanc
View Profile
Special user
Houston, TX
524 Posts

Profile of John LeBlanc
Quote:
On 2003-12-22 07:26, Xia wrote:
I have heard a lot of stuuf about the books that Max has written but am struggling to find any. Can you give me the names of some and maybe some dealers that stock 'em and recomend which are the best to go for? Also I heard that he has written some important stuff on the ideas of "eqivoque" any ideas?? One more while I'm here I'm very interested in the idea of double entendre where can I find out more about this?? Smile Smile Smile

As others have pointed out, most of the books written by Phil Goldstein are out of print and fairly pricey when you can find them.

Exceptions are "Focus" which can be found for as little as $35, and you can get the pamphlet "Verbal Control" (the one on equivoque) from H&R Magic every day of the week and twice on Sundays for just $5. THAT is a steal.

A quick check of my library and the top of my head finds these titles of books and booklets:

Classic Tackler
The Color Series (Red, Blue, Yellow, Green, Violet)
Thunday
Thequal
Amperthand
Doth
Fifth
Thavant
Thabbatical
Focus
Silentwe
Redivider

Then there are books with his name as editor:
Square One, which was a gimme to we subscribers to MAGIC Magazine around 1991.

And there's the book written under the name Max Maven, "Max Maven's Book of Fortunetelling".

But I'll tell you, just chasing down these books and booklets won't scratch the surface of the work by Phil Goldstein. He's contributed to virtually every magic oriented publication since the early seventies or so.

I love Stewart James, though I have to say, if anyone ever does a "Phil Goldstein, The First Fifty Years" and "The Phil Goldstein Files" the shipping charge alone will positively kill you.

John LeBlanc
Houston, TX
Escamoteurettes, my blog.

"One thought fills immensity." -- William Blake
Xia
View Profile
Loyal user
London, England
286 Posts

Profile of Xia
Thank you, that infomation is priceless. Now I just have to cross my fingers and keep searching. Is the stuff in redivider suitable for a mentalist (can it be adapted to be)? And I'm guessing the basic agreement is anthing with the name goldstein or maven should be snapped up. Yea? Smile Smile Smile
"They say the whole is much more than the sum of its Parts...Thats why a man is much more than the sum of his Past!"
John LeBlanc
View Profile
Special user
Houston, TX
524 Posts

Profile of John LeBlanc
Quote:
On 2003-12-23 07:25, Xia wrote:
Thank you, that infomation is priceless. Now I just have to cross my fingers and keep searching. Is the stuff in redivider suitable for a mentalist (can it be adapted to be)? And I'm guessing the basic agreement is anthing with the name goldstein or maven should be snapped up. Yea? Smile Smile Smile

You should own a copy of "Verbal Control" -- that's all I'm going to say on that topic. It's $5 and I can find no good reason not to have it.

As for Redivider, there are a couple of mental tricks, but there are other tricks that could be turned into mental tricks with a little work. It's a very good book and certainly worth your while purchasing.

"Focus" can be found for around $35 or $40 if you pay attention. Great book and worth seeking out while you can get it an relatively normal prices.

"Classic Tackler" pops up from time to time at a reasonable price; worth getting.

On eBay right now there's a copy of Max Maven's Book of Fortunetelling. It's up near $35 or so. Why is that, I wonder. It's not a book of tricks, and it's not hard to find. Yet the price will end probably near $40 or $50 -- if not more.

I just bought and sent off two copies to friends, which copies cost me $5 and $6 each. And there's tons more at that price.

For years I've seen copies of "Verbal Control" -- new copies -- sell for multiples of the $5 you pay any day of the week. Years ago I bought a handful from H&R Magic on one of my visits. I sent some to friends, and attempted to sell the remaining two on eBay. Two days into the auction I cancelled the auction: they were up near $35. This was before "BUY IT NOW" was available and it just didn't occur to me someone would get into a bidding war over a currently selling $5 pamphlet.

As for the rest of the stuff I listed, it's hard for me to say whether you should snap them up. I'm a book collector, as well as a performer, so this stuff matters to me on two fronts. The value of the material is very high partly because it's not widely published and partly because it's just plain good, period.

I've paid a premium on some of the stuff I own simply because the information in them can't be had elsewhere and, as a performer, it's worth it to me to invest in the knowledge on behalf of my business.

Bob Kohler and Bob Fitch have offered a professional piece of apparatus that is, by the definition of most people, insanely expensive: $1850. That's a lease, by the way; you don't own it.

Now, in my opinion, it's a bargain. Why? Because its limited availability means it will remain in the hands of those who respect its value.

Back in July 2001 Jamy Ian Swiss took Richard Busch to task for, among other things (some of which I won't argue) pricing "Peek Performances" at $65. "Long on words and short on point" is a quote.

Scott Wells, a fellow Houstonian and publisher of the book, told me before it was published how they arrived at the price and I agreed with the thinking.

There's a difference in the opinion of the value of an item depending upon the use to which that person is going to put it. A professional performer will pay $1200 for a book test when it's availability is limited to a hundred sets or so.

The average magician will think the performers are insane, but there's another line to be drawn between hobbyists and amateurs, and professional performers.

On the other hand, there are "magic collectors" who are not really magic collectors in the sense that I am a collector. These people collect information via electronic copying, photocopying and the like. They will not pay in most cases, which is appropriate, because they put no value on the information.

They only value the collecting, not the collection.

As a collector, I've paid some premium prices on some of the magic books in my library for the simple reason that I want them and there are so few available. You find, you negotiate, and you pay what you have to. Or you sit and wait and hope you get lucky.

More importantly, for me anyway, if I intend to perform anything in them, I feel the moral obligation to properly obtain a copy of the work in which it is found.

When people mention that some of the Phil Goldstein books are expensive, you should know what that means. The last sale of a full set of the Color Series I know of, for instance, went for $1,100.00. That's not eBay, by the way; that's a private sale.

Now, is it worth $1,100? I won't speak for anyone else, but you'd need a hell of a lot more than $1,100 to get my set from me.

John LeBlanc
Houston, TX

Julian Kestrel
View Profile
Loyal user
258 Posts

Profile of Julian Kestrel
Max's stuff is good and much of his material has been published in other sources ranging from Genii to Magick.

I enjoy the color books and was happy to buy them for their original prices of under $10 each when they first came out.
Frankly, there has been a mystique created around them .

There is much good material in print by other excellent thinkers, more than enough material for a hundred repertoires.

Don't obsess that something is of epic quality just because it is hard to get.

J
John LeBlanc
View Profile
Special user
Houston, TX
524 Posts

Profile of John LeBlanc
Quote:
On 2004-01-07 09:04, Julian Kestrel wrote:
Max's stuff is good and much of his material has been published in other sources ranging from Genii to Magick.

But not all of it has been placed in publications. As you go through the five booklets in the Color Series, some of that material was reprinted, but much of it was not.

Quote:
Frankly, there has been a mystique created around them .

For some, I believe that's true. I believe many, though, desire them for the simple reason the books are not plentiful, most people have never even seen one, and they are expensive. These are desirable qualities that people naturally gravitate towards.

Quote:
There is much good material in print by other excellent thinkers, more than enough material for a hundred repertoires.

Somewhere, probably in a Joe Stevens magalog, TA Waters mentioned that it made no sense for one performer to do the same tricks as another performer. There are so many tricks from which to choose.

Quote:
Don't obsess that something is of epic quality just because it is hard to get.

This applies to girls/women, too. Smile

I think many of us have (and are) searching for the Holy Grail, which is like asking the wrong question. At some point I stopped reading magic trick books looking for The One, and read each trick and asked, "How can I use this idea or method?" For me, that's a very useful question ask.

John LeBlanc
Houston, TX

Scott Cram
View Profile
Inner circle
2677 Posts

Profile of Scott Cram
Quote:
On 2003-12-23 10:28, John W. LeBlanc wrote:

"Focus" can be found for around $35 or $40 if you pay attention. Great book and worth seeking out while you can get it an relatively normal prices.

We have Focus at Denny & Lee for only $30. (Of course, the shipping will probably bring it up to $35 or so).
Julian Kestrel
View Profile
Loyal user
258 Posts

Profile of Julian Kestrel
John

I appreciate your expansion on my post. well said!
Larry Davidson
View Profile
Inner circle
Potomac, MD
5266 Posts

Profile of Larry Davidson
[quote]On 2004-01-07 09:57, John W. LeBlanc wrote:
Quote:
I think many of us have (and are) searching for the Holy Grail, which is like asking the wrong question. At some point I stopped reading magic trick books looking for The One, and read each trick and asked, "How can I use this idea or method?" For me, that's a very useful question ask.

John LeBlanc
Houston, TX

Smart man. If I read one more "what's the best..." thread I think I'm going to pull my remaining hair out.
Turk
View Profile
Inner circle
Portland, OR
3545 Posts

Profile of Turk
[quote]On 2004-01-08 21:36, Larry Davidson wrote:
Quote:

....If I read one more "what's the best..." thread I think I'm going to pull my remaining hair out.

Larry,

In your humble opinion, what's the best metalism book out there?

Mike
Magic is a vanishing Art.

This must not be Kansas anymore, Toto.

Eschew obfuscation.
Xia
View Profile
Loyal user
London, England
286 Posts

Profile of Xia
Let me just point out that I never asked what the best mentalism book was or if max'x was the best I was simply inquiring as to what he had put out so far. Smile
themaestro
View Profile
New user
TX
42 Posts

Profile of themaestro
Aside from "Verbal Control"--which I also highly recommend--H&R Books has a large number of Max's lecture notes. Just go to http://www.magicbookshop.com and punch "Goldstein" into the search.

Nowlin
Nowlin Craver
Dougini
View Profile
Inner circle
The Beautiful State Of Maine
6821 Posts

Profile of Dougini
[quote]On 2004-01-10 19:17, Turk wrote:
Quote:
On 2004-01-08 21:36, Larry Davidson wrote:
Quote:

....If I read one more "what's the best..." thread I think I'm going to pull my remaining hair out.

Larry,

In your humble opinion, what's the best metalism book out there?

Mike

Good one, Mike! Laughing insanely over that one!

Look on the bright side, Larry...your barber bill...no longer needed! Smile

On topic:

Focus...best book I have on cards. I'm still waiting for the DVD, LOL!

Doug
Manfredo
View Profile
New user
Nuernberg/Germany
93 Posts

Profile of Manfredo
May I mention that there are 11 hocus pocus parades in "the linking ring" with very good material. There you can read, that Max Maven meanwhile has contributed over 1600 effects to different magic magazines. The linking rings you can get on CD.
Mike M
View Profile
Loyal user
244 Posts

Profile of Mike M
If you really want an impossible task, try to find the rarest Maven/Goldstein book out there. Put out by the Tenkai Prize Committee in Japan, this is a beautiful hardbound book written in both Japanese and English. This was published only in Japan, and is impossible to get even over there. The book is beautiful with gold lettering and a slip cover. It has brilliant material you will find nowhere else. I can only imagine it's worth on ebay because I have never seen one offered there.
No, I won't part with mine.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Books, Pamphlets & Lecture Notes » » Mr. Mavens Books (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.27 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL