The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Books, Pamphlets & Lecture Notes » » Mr. Mavens Books (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
Larry Davidson
View Profile
Inner circle
Potomac, MD
5266 Posts

Profile of Larry Davidson
[quote]On 2004-01-10 19:17, Turk wrote:
Quote:
On 2004-01-08 21:36, Larry Davidson wrote:
Quote:

....If I read one more "what's the best..." thread I think I'm going to pull my remaining hair out.

Larry,

In your humble opinion, what's the best metalism book out there?

Mike

By "metalism" do you mean a book on coins? Smile

[quote]On 2004-01-12 23:19, Dougini wrote:
Quote:
Look on the bright side, Larry...your barber bill...no longer needed! Smile

Actually, my barber charges me double...he imposes a finder's fee.
boblinds
View Profile
Regular user
Los Angeles
111 Posts

Profile of boblinds
Quote:
Actually, my barber charges me double...he imposes a finder's fee.

The Line Of The Day Award goes to Mr. Davidson! Smile Smile Smile

I'll be stealing this repeatedly, Larry.
Larry Davidson
View Profile
Inner circle
Potomac, MD
5266 Posts

Profile of Larry Davidson
Please do...I stole it as well (I remember reading it in a joke book when I was a kid).
owen.daniel
View Profile
Inner circle
England
1048 Posts

Profile of owen.daniel
Redivider,
(Phil's newest book I believe), is really good.

One of many things I am interested about in the world of magic is the mathematical side.
The idea of palindromic stacks is of high interest to me, and is a way for me to explore new ideas of my own, by looking at principles discused in the book. Although all the effects are very simple, some are excellent pieces which allow you to really get a good presentation going.

Another plus side is the expense. It cost me £12 at Davenports (for the English people reading this). I have many books, and although this is possibly the shortest, cheapest book I own, I refer to it more often than other books which are over 5 times its length.
Really recommended,
owen
Turk
View Profile
Inner circle
Portland, OR
3545 Posts

Profile of Turk
Quote:
On 2004-01-20 09:22, owen.daniel wrote:
Redivider,
(Phil's newest book I believe), is really good.

One of many things I am interested about in the world of magic is the mathematical side.
The idea of palindromic stacks is of high interest to me, and is a way for me to explore new ideas of my own, by looking at principles discused in the book. Although all the effects are very simple, some are excellent pieces which allow you to really get a good presentation going.

Another plus side is the expense. It cost me £12 at Davenports (for the English people reading this). I have many books, and although this is possibly the shortest, cheapest book I own, I refer to it more often than other books which are over 5 times its length.
Really recommended,
owen

Owen,

Does the Redivider book go into the Gilbreath principle? If not (or even if it does), can you list any Phil Goldstein/Max Maven books that deal with this principle. For that matter, can you recommencd any magic books that deal with the Gilbreath Principle?

Thanks for any info.

Mike
Magic is a vanishing Art.

This must not be Kansas anymore, Toto.

Eschew obfuscation.
boblinds
View Profile
Regular user
Los Angeles
111 Posts

Profile of boblinds
Mike:

Take a look here:

http://www.cs.wisc.edu/~roy/magictalk-wi......ath.html

Here (just one of the many places this book is available, by the way):

http://www.elmwoodmagic.com/?nd=full&key=1446

And there is discussion of it in The James File
Dougini
View Profile
Inner circle
The Beautiful State Of Maine
6819 Posts

Profile of Dougini
Doe anyone know if the Color Series will ever be reprinted, or will ever be available in ebook form?

I have become fascinated with that series, thanks to you all! Smile Found out the price was enough to almost knock me out of my chair...!

I'd just like to READ it, let alone collect it...man...is it really that good?

Doug
fonda57
View Profile
Inner circle
chicago
2949 Posts

Profile of fonda57
Focus is a great book. Lots of fun stuff.
I j
Rennie
View Profile
Inner circle
I think I have about
1835 Posts

Profile of Rennie
Dougini,
"Doe anyone know if the Color Series will ever be reprinted, or will ever be available in ebook form?

I have become fascinated with that series, thanks to you all! Found out the price was enough to almost knock me out of my chair...!

I'd just like to READ it, let alone collect it...man...is it really that good?

Doug "

The Color Series are great, they are only a small stapled manuscript and originally sold for about $4.50 ea. in the mid '70's. As you said today they are commanding collectors prices.I have the complete set with the exception of the Yellow . I contacted Phil / Max asking if he may have an extra copy, which he did not but was aware the prices are high when you find them.
As for a reprint, doubt it but no harm asking I guess.
Rennie
The effect is the important thing, how you achieve it is not.......
David Eichler
View Profile
Grammar Host
Durham, ME
1738 Posts

Profile of David Eichler
Not to beat a dead horse, but FOCUS really is a great book. If you can still get it, it is definitely worth acquiring.
LordPH
View Profile
Regular user
Suomi
189 Posts

Profile of LordPH
I Have Focus and RedivideR. Focus is really great book, becouse it contains so useful tricks Smile
Lucas Ace

Ultimatemagic.Net
Helsinki Street Team
Algebra2
View Profile
Regular user
CA
156 Posts

Profile of Algebra2
Prism is a great book of all of Maven's color books in one hardcover book..is this out of print already?
gerard1973
View Profile
Special user
Michigan, U.S.A.
688 Posts

Profile of gerard1973
Xia:

Max Maven's Focus and Redivider are great books but the BEST Max Maven book to buy would be Prism: The Color Series of Mentalism. This book contains all 53 effects of Max's entire Color Series books. If you are going to buy one Max Maven to start out with this would probably be the book to buy.
"Confusion is not magic."
Dai Vernon
Red Von
View Profile
Loyal user
Branson, MO
251 Posts

Profile of Red Von
Focus, and Prism: The Color Series of Mentalism are a must have!! If you are looking for effects with a punch, you cannot pass these two books up!!

I would get everything you can find by Max period!!

:cheers:
omk
View Profile
Regular user
Florida's Space Coast
108 Posts

Profile of omk
Quote:
On 2006-03-16 03:46, Algebra2 wrote:
Prism is a great book of all of Maven's color books in one hardcover book..is this out of print already?

I don't belive so - still shown available here: http://www.hermeticpress.com/

Dave
Steven Leung
View Profile
Inner circle
found the Magic Rainbow after
1606 Posts

Profile of Steven Leung
Quote:
On 2004-02-05 23:35, David Eichler wrote:
Not to beat a dead horse, but FOCUS really is a great book. If you can still get it, it is definitely worth acquiring.

I just ordered it, because my friend just show me one trick and I cannot help to say,'I must get this book!'
Most memorable moment - with Maestro Juan Tamariz & Consuelo Lorgia in FISM Busan 2018.

"Being fooled by a trick doesn't always mean they are having a good time" - Homer Liwag

https://hhpresents.com/
https://www.glitchstudiohk.com/
anticoin
View Profile
Regular user
194 Posts

Profile of anticoin
Quote:
On 2006-04-01 23:43, Steven Leung wrote:
Quote:
On 2004-02-05 23:35, David Eichler wrote:

I just ordered it, because my friend just show me one trick and I cannot help to say,'I must get this book!'

Which trick did he show you, Steven?
I own both Focus & Prism. Focus is indeed a great, great book.
One of the best books on card magic. Not only does it contain strong effects, but it is written in a very simple way to understand.
gerard1973
View Profile
Special user
Michigan, U.S.A.
688 Posts

Profile of gerard1973
As far as I know Max Maven's Prism book is still in print. I think that some people may be getting his other books mixed up with the Prism book. Some of his other books are out of print.
"Confusion is not magic."
Dai Vernon
airship
View Profile
Inner circle
In my day, I have driven
1594 Posts

Profile of airship
Just ordered the 'Prism' book based on these recommendations.
But you guys are so evil! First you get me all worked up talking about this impossibly expensive 'Color' series, which I know I will never, ever be able to afford. Then you lightly let it slip that the whole thing can be had as a compilation for $40! Evil. Smile
Thanks for the recommendations. The Magic Café rocks!
'The central secret of conjuring is a manipulation of interest.' - Henry Hay
boinko
View Profile
Elite user
Illinois
414 Posts

Profile of boinko
Yes, I just received Prism. Fantastic book. I had the 'Blue' book in my collection from waaaay back, but it's nice to have everything in one book (and affordable!).
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Books, Pamphlets & Lecture Notes » » Mr. Mavens Books (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.14 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL