The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » How to gain confidence to approach people (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
ClumsyMagician
View Profile
New user
10 Posts

Profile of ClumsyMagician
I've regularly gone up to strangers and showed them tricks - I have to admit the younger I was the easier I found it. As a kid I would go up to strangers at weddings and other family events and ask them to put their finger in my finger chopper. Funnily enough nobody ever disagreed to do it - although I did dig out the said finger chopper the other week and my own wife refused to participate!

A few other things I've learnt:

1) Start with a very quick trick. Sometimes if you go up to a stranger and offer to show them something they'll be suspicious. If your first trick takes 5 minutes to get off the ground the punter could run away within the first few seconds. I recommend a quick thumb tip or such like to grab their attention.

2) Have more than one trick ready. If one starts to go wrong just say,"actually I have a better one I can show you." This might seem like an odd thing to do but someone will be befuddled at being accosted in public anyway so it won't be that odd.

3) To begin with stick with tricks that can't go wrong (Out of this World, for example).

4) Cigarette ash mark on the punter's palm generally works a treat with drunk people Smile

Funnily enough I prefer performing for strangers as they have no clue what to expect. You can even make mistakes and they don't notice. On the other hand when I perform for my family they have 15 year's experience of trying to spot my moves so it's actually a lot more difficult to fool them.
Logan Five
View Profile
Inner circle
Northern California
1477 Posts

Profile of Logan Five
Quote:
On 2013-11-10 16:36, plink wrote:
Go to a nursing home. The people usually appreciate any kind of attention, you get to hone magic and people skills.

I agree putting on a show for the folks in nursing homes will boost your confidence.

Why approach strangers on street? Forced magic on people is for amatures. Magic is something special- let them come to you, not you asking them to watch your tricks.
Self concept is destiny..
solrak29
View Profile
Special user
NY Metro
936 Posts

Profile of solrak29
Quote:
On 2013-11-10 05:54, cricketer15 wrote:
But how do I get the confidence to perform to random strangers on the streets?

What do you mean "streets"? Busking?

Quote:
Have you ever screwed up a trick infront of a large group

yes

Quote:
, and if so what did you guys do to overcome this as this is my biggest fear.

by performing a lot.

Quote:
Looking to perform magic at my university and around Sydney just to random students/people.

Look up my buddy Troy Star; he might help you out in Aus.
To Find Me On The Pitch, Follow me :On Twitter
Checkout my pseudo blog : The Sidewalk Performers Forum

"I intend to live forever, or die trying" - Groucho Marx
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » How to gain confidence to approach people (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.14 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL