The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Grand illusion » » The Doll house illusion transformed into a Christmas themed show (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

MagicJim
View Profile
Regular user
151 Posts

Profile of MagicJim
I am just preparing for some Christmas shows coming up in December. I wanted to transform the doll house illusion into Santas workshop. Instead of producing doll furniture and dolls, I would produce wood working tools and wooden toys. Then ultimately my assistant, dressed as Santa's helper, would make her grand appearance!

I planned on temporarily adhering a Santa's workshop covering to the outside of the doll house.

Just wondering if anyone ever considered trying this before?

Does this sound like a good idea to you?

For me, I consider it an example of an inexpensive fix/means to provide a Christmas theme to a magic show utilizing props or illusions that I already possess.

Also, does anyone have any suggestions for specific a song to be played during the routine?
charliecheckers
View Profile
Inner circle
1969 Posts

Profile of charliecheckers
How about "We are Santa's Elves" from the movie Rudolph the Red Nosed Reindeer.
MagicJim
View Profile
Regular user
151 Posts

Profile of MagicJim
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KxHRA3k5-_U
I was not familiar with the song, but once upon a time I did see the movie. I posted the link. It sounds like a good fit, but it is a bit short in time. Perhaps if a had a bit of another christamas song prior to this one it might work out.

Thanks for the song idea Charlie!
jimgerrish
View Profile
Inner circle
East Orange, NJ
3211 Posts

Profile of jimgerrish
Good idea and if you have an easy way to attach and detach coverings, such as embedded magnets, you can make one side a Santa's Workshop and the other side a Haunted House for Halloween. Another pair of covers could be for an Easter Bunny house and an all purpose Barn.
Eldon
View Profile
Inner circle
Virden, IL
1134 Posts

Profile of Eldon
I have different fronts for my Dollhouse. For my Christmas theme I use this music (with a little editing). http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fEHzYjuf5NA
Bob Sanders
View Profile
Grammar Supervisor
Magic Valley Ranch, Clanton, Alabama
20504 Posts

Profile of Bob Sanders
An odd note: Wooden items to produce from the "Santa's Workshop" might include toy airplanes, cars, etc. Recently I have noticed kits for these in the toy section of Dollar Tree stores. (Don't forget that you can also order from Dollar Tree online.)

It sounds like fun!
Bob Sanders

Magic By Sander / The Amazed Wiz

AmazedWiz@Yahoo.com
MagicJim
View Profile
Regular user
151 Posts

Profile of MagicJim
Eldon, how did you create the different fronts? What material did you use?

Bob, thanks for your idea! I will have to check that out!

Good idea, Jim
John Martin
View Profile
Inner circle
1008 Posts

Profile of John Martin
I re-themed my doll to look like a gingerbread house. Staples sells printable temporary decals that come in sheets of 8.5 x 11. A good way to dress up the outside.

John
Eldon
View Profile
Inner circle
Virden, IL
1134 Posts

Profile of Eldon
Quote:
On 2013-11-11 07:27, MagicJim wrote:

The four sides of my Dollhouse clip together with hinges and hitch pin clips. They are made from birch plywood. I made additional fronts and paint them to fit different themes.
Michael Baker
View Profile
Eternal Order
Near a river in the Midwest
11161 Posts

Profile of Michael Baker
Quote:
On 2013-11-11 09:28, Eldon wrote:
Quote:
On 2013-11-11 07:27, MagicJim wrote:

The four sides of my Dollhouse clip together with hinges and hitch pin clips. They are made from birch plywood. I made additional fronts and paint them to fit different themes.

Inter-changeable panels is the way to go, fronts probably being the most important.

I was thinking also that going along with Jim's idea for magnets, you could have custom printing done on magnetic sign material. It would be super thing and should hold fast.
~michael baker
The Magic Company
MagicJim
View Profile
Regular user
151 Posts

Profile of MagicJim
More great ideas!
MagicJim
View Profile
Regular user
151 Posts

Profile of MagicJim
My wife just picked up a couple wooden toy kits at the store. Thanks for the advice Bob Sanders! I just spent 35 minutes building a wooden airplane and a wooden car with my girls. They really enjoyed it. It was a good family project. Now they can be used in the December shows as part of the Santa's Workshop (formerly dollhouse) illusion.
jimgerrish
View Profile
Inner circle
East Orange, NJ
3211 Posts

Profile of jimgerrish
It's probably too late for this year, but for next year's Christmas show, you might want to check out The Wizards' Journal #15, specifically my "Santa's Toy Workshop" and possibly the "Jack In The Box Illusion."
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Grand illusion » » The Doll house illusion transformed into a Christmas themed show (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.11 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL