The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » First stage (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Interfector
View Profile
New user
98 Posts

Profile of Interfector
Hello

I get courage by some people here "bob cassidy" telling to me to do and practice in front of people and I really thanks him so much. I did an effect to my brother friend he like it,and in the night he told his cousin about me and he came to my house and I showed him something he likes it also.

he told me that in after 10 days their will be an event and he want me to participate for 10 min and there will be around 100 audience in the event.

Well this is my first experience and its a big opportunity to me and I don't know what to say and what to do in these 10 min should I divide it by 5 min to make 2 act or make it long

I know that in mentalism show their is an opener effect then you build up until you hit your closer which should be like the best . in this 10 min what should I do its different from what I imagine well because no one knows about me that's why I get 10 min act lol but someday in the future I will be a great mentalist like you people in this fourm

can you give me an advice like

what to say when you come to the stage

what type of effect

how to end the show

or anything good

Thanks
Anas
cirrus
View Profile
Inner circle
his minions made
1752 Posts

Profile of cirrus
I just did my first show and did this: bank night - card divination and add-a-number as a closer.
Jamie D
View Profile
Inner circle
Ontario, Canada
2292 Posts

Profile of Jamie D
I'm a little confused, will this show be in ten days??

Darren
Twitter @darjames
BMWGuy
View Profile
Inner circle
Texas
2196 Posts

Profile of BMWGuy
Hi Anas,

It is all about interacting with the audience and making it about you, not the effect.

IF you get the audience on your side, it doesn't matter what you do, they already like you, so you will have an extra bonus, since they will already like you.

Thanks

Alex
PRESET by Alex Alejandro & Dan Harlan now available for a special introductory price!
Mindpro
View Profile
Inner circle
9530 Posts

Profile of Mindpro
Quote:
On 2013-11-11 17:54, cirrus wrote:
I just did my first show and did this: bank night - card divination and add-a-number as a closer.

This is a show?
Dr Spektor
View Profile
Eternal Order
Carcosa
10571 Posts

Profile of Dr Spektor
Hi anas

Just read your last few posts via profile

Why has your language posts changed suddenly? Weird....

But here are the answers:

1) introduce yourself and welcome everyone
2) effects that work to engage
3) classy
4) that is very subjective - and good isn't what you need -it's very good
"They are lean and athirst!!!!"
Bard
View Profile
Loyal user
223 Posts

Profile of Bard
Quote:
On 2013-11-11 19:33, Mindpro wrote:
Quote:

This is a show?

In the minds of today's young folks, doing a French Drop with a coin for a group of 5 kids is "a show"

I'm not kidding! That's the sad part of it all. What is sad, given this example, is that Add a NO is seen as an effect vs. a tool. . . right down there with all the magicians that think a CT is an effect when it's just a method. But hey' what's nomenclature? No one buys into those old fashioned ideas now days; use invented words & terms, poor spelling & gammar and voila! We have the epitome of the 21st century variety artist . . . at least 2/3rds of said populace. Fortunately the Gods and given us that wonderful minority that loves language and understanding it well enough to play with it. We have young people that want to SLOWLY build an actual full-evening program, understanding that it takes YEARS and better yet, that it's not a compilation of tricks.

As Kenton K pointed out about a dozen years ago, the delusional idea that you're a "Mentalist" because you can spell the word, is not supported by the record. We can only hope that more of them catch on to that part that says that Being a Mentalist demands an education, savvy, class, as well as skill and knowledge of the art itself.

"sigh" I'm getting too old to deal with it.
Mindpro
View Profile
Inner circle
9530 Posts

Profile of Mindpro
Amen
Scott Soloff
View Profile
Special user
Philadelphia, PA
960 Posts

Profile of Scott Soloff
Anas,

A couple of quick points...

One routine can take 10 minutes. I believe that the key points
are to engage the audience and be bigger than life.

Many people forget that more than anything we are entertainers,
not merely someone presenting clever puzzles.

Too many performers, at least in my opinion are duller than a
dish rag.

Find your voice, establish rapport with your audience, present
a demonstration that is simple yet mind numbing.

Done properly, your audience will gasp and sit on the edge of
their seats with their mouths open. Best experience that you
will ever have.

Best of luck with your show.

Scott
'Curiouser and curiouser."
john wills
View Profile
Special user
940 Posts

Profile of john wills
A good magician or mentalist is a storyteller!
Grab them and take them with you on your path....
Jamie D
View Profile
Inner circle
Ontario, Canada
2292 Posts

Profile of Jamie D
If you only know two effects or so and you plan to perform in ten days, you're best to stick with the two you know. With the questions you ask, are you sure your ready to get up on a stage/platform and perform? Maybe you'd be better off walking around the event and performing that way as ten min is really only enough time to perform one effect IMO. It's hard when a great opportunity is presented and the excitement sets in but sometimes you need to step back and think hard on what's really involved and where you are as a performer.

I wish you the best in whatever you do and hope it works out, although, you've seemed to have "vanished".

Darren
Twitter @darjames
Bard
View Profile
Loyal user
223 Posts

Profile of Bard
Sorry Darren, but if you can only do 1 effect in 10 minutes, you're in sheep-dip. My mentor opened his illusion act doing more than 16 effects in under 4 minutes and it was always given huge kudos. . . I'll not go into the Pollack-Burton type acts of old. . . when magic was still classy.

When it comes to Mentalism, it can take 10 minutes to set things up but even that's a dangerous threshold; the audience will get bored to tears taking that long (one reason why mentalism sucked for so many years and at the hands of so many self-important "showmen"). Mentalism isn't designed to happen as fast paced as my mentor's routines noted above, but you can present 3 solid demonstration in a 10 minute frame PROVIDED you have chosen the right 3 pieces so as to retain cohesion of claim and a natural sense of flow from one to the next. To open with Bank Night, as the OP says he's done, is bassakwards. . . from reading his list that's his strongest piece with the misguided CT as his closer. Ignoring the fact that the CT IS NOT AN EFFECT but rather a method, I would have placed it first but only if I could stage it in a very specific way, which makes it a true marvel (otherwise it stinks, is illogical, etc.) under said auspices however, the CT routine would take a minimum of 5 minutes. . . the Bank Night falling closer to your suggestion as being a good 10+ minute set-up, if you're to milk it properly.

Lightning Fast Mentalism is best done ala Fogel or Shantz -- a pad of paper in hand with a rapid course of Swami styled THOUGHT READING. . .
Jamie D
View Profile
Inner circle
Ontario, Canada
2292 Posts

Profile of Jamie D
I agree Bard, I was just meaning that the routine would include a proper introduction as they will have no idea on who or what he is. I'm not even sure on how many effects he even knows. Judging on his experience, learning more within a few days would be quite interesting but he has not came here since he posted so who knows, maybe he gave up? I'm not sure who you are Bard but I will say, every post you make is insightful and I can tell is coming from experience, glad to have you here.

Darren
Twitter @darjames
Curtis Alexander
View Profile
New user
74 Posts

Profile of Curtis Alexander
Quote:
Quote:

This is a show?

Perhaps it would be more helpful to give some constructive criticism.
Mindpro
View Profile
Inner circle
9530 Posts

Profile of Mindpro
Quote:
On 2013-11-13 17:19, Curtis Alexander wrote:
Quote:
Quote:

This is a show?

Perhaps it would be more helpful to give some constructive criticism.

Thanks for your valuable comments. Perhaps I and others would be happy to if the OP was to better explain his position and more details.
Interfector
View Profile
New user
98 Posts

Profile of Interfector
Quote:
On 2013-11-11 20:55, Dr Spektor wrote:
Hi anas

Just read your last few posts via profile

Why has your language posts changed suddenly? Weird....

But here are the answers:

1) introduce yourself and welcome everyone
2) effects that work to engage
3) classy
4) that is very subjective - and good isn't what you need -it's very good

Thanks for the tips but what do you mean post changed !! If you mean my english language well its not my main language so maybe some grammer mistakes

And sorry for late reply I saw your msg before but I didn't reply because I was practcing and today I did a what I think they called on english "performance practice" and their were judges that's if they like you you will pass and I envolve the judges I did book test with one of them and with the other 3 I did something about numbers with predection and one of them was like a heckler told me its self working then I kinda did a sneak switch with the number and proved him wrong and they like me. The result was they will let me do a walk around since I told them its my first time so I can handle everything good and get more experience and not this tues the next one they will let me do a stage I'm happy
Interfector
View Profile
New user
98 Posts

Profile of Interfector
Quote:
On 2013-11-11 18:31, BMWGuy wrote:
Hi Anas,

It is all about interacting with the audience and making it about you, not the effect.

IF you get the audience on your side, it doesn't matter what you do, they already like you, so you will have an extra bonus, since they will already like you.

Thanks

Alex

That's what I did and this advice about getting the audience in my side was good I passed the test show

Thanks
Anas
Interfector
View Profile
New user
98 Posts

Profile of Interfector
Quote:
On 2013-11-12 13:22, Scott Soloff wrote:
Anas,

A couple of quick points...

One routine can take 10 minutes. I believe that the key points
are to engage the audience and be bigger than life.

Many people forget that more than anything we are entertainers,
not merely someone presenting clever puzzles.

Too many performers, at least in my opinion are duller than a
dish rag.

Find your voice, establish rapport with your audience, present
a demonstration that is simple yet mind numbing.

Done properly, your audience will gasp and sit on the edge of
their seats with their mouths open. Best experience that you
will ever have.

Best of luck with your show.

Scott

Thanks for your advice I will try to engage many people and entertain them from now on
Interfector
View Profile
New user
98 Posts

Profile of Interfector
Quote:
On 2013-11-12 22:28, Darren James wrote:
If you only know two effects or so and you plan to perform in ten days, you're best to stick with the two you know. With the questions you ask, are you sure your ready to get up on a stage/platform and perform? Maybe you'd be better off walking around the event and performing that way as ten min is really only enough time to perform one effect IMO. It's hard when a great opportunity is presented and the excitement sets in but sometimes you need to step back and think hard on what's really involved and where you are as a performer.

I wish you the best in whatever you do and hope it works out, although, you've seemed to have "vanished".

Darren

I don't know only 2 effect I know plenty I studided and read books as soon as I can but my problem was I never practiced what I learned but now I'm practicing what I learned and I have little things I can do now anytime thanks for the practicing Smile
I was not sure about going up but one of the people encouraged me to go and make a first step I did go today and it was like a test if they like me they will let me do a stage for 10 - 15 and they told me if you wanna do walk around this tues you can I choosed walk around to try and communicate with more people because I never practiced against real strangers and this will be my big chance I took your advice I am here not vanished I read what people wrote but I was practicing about that test show. in 30 nov they will let me do stage I can't wait for walk around this tues and nov 30
Mind
View Profile
New user
Bedfordshire, UK
76 Posts

Profile of Mind
Anas, congratulations on passing your test. I wish you all the best with your walk around and stage performance, I'm sure it will go really well for you.

Just relax and enjoy your performing!
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » First stage (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.11 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL