The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricky business » » How do you deal with this? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
magicofCurtis
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles
2545 Posts

Profile of magicofCurtis
Quote:
On 2013-11-13 19:38, Gr8gorilla wrote:
In this case it was a Christmas Party for a Dr's Office. The person I spoke to was the Dr. who owns the office. She definitely was the decision maker. I was never implying that I would try to enforce the Oral contract. I was simply stating it as the root of my frustration. The reason I didn't take the credit card right then was due to the fact that I got the call while driving.

I posted it more for ideas on how to avoid this in the future. The booking was lost because both the Dr. and her office manager were looking for entertainment. The Dr decided to book me but didn't communicate that to her office manager. By the time I got home (20 minutes later) and sent the contract over, the office manager had booked someone else and paid the deposit.

Should I have stopped the car, written down her CC info and taken the deposit right away? So when she said, "I want to book you for 1.5 hours." My reply should have been, "Ok let me get your credit card information for the deposit and I'll get the contract right over to you." Would that have avoided this?

My reply to her about having to cancel with me was, "That's too bad. Please keep me in mind for your future entertainment needs."

See who got the deal? The one who took the credit card payment right away! Smile

This happens often in these type of events.
TomBoleware
View Profile
Inner circle
Hattiesburg, Ms
2755 Posts

Profile of TomBoleware
Quote:
On 2013-11-14 10:55, Dannydoyle wrote:
Life is what happens while people make plans for it. This is not a big deal. It happens.

On non refundable deposits I offer for the following.

Yes it may teach her that one person needs to do booking. But in reality it was a snafu. To charge her for such a thing is to GUARANTEE not ever getting called by her or anyone she knows ever. If you want to be that guy over a phone call go right ahead.

In reality you are out nothing. I can't even see personally why this is a big deal. I absolutely bet the job was not lost in that time frame but that they simply had not communicated in a few days. You could have run the credit card and kept the deposit and angered a potential buyer plus everyone she knows. Certainly that is an option. Not the one I would go with but an option no less.

Well said Danny.

Business should be about building lasting relationships, and not about collecting money at all costs.
I too could never demand money in a case like this, contract/deposit or not.

Tom
"Entrepreneurs are willing to work 80 hours a week to avoid working 40 hours a week"--Lori Greiner

www.tomboleware.com
Al Angello
View Profile
Eternal Order
Collegeville, Pa. USA
11047 Posts

Profile of Al Angello
Danny
Welcome back I hope everything in the Dominican Republic went well.
Al Angello The Comic Juggler/Magician
http://www.juggleral.com
http://home.comcast.net/~juggleral/
"Footprints on your ceiling are almost gone"
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
20370 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Went?

We start on Thanksgiving. Have been in pre production.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
JoshLondonMagic
View Profile
Special user
678 Posts

Profile of JoshLondonMagic
Quote:
On 2013-11-14 10:55, Dannydoyle wrote:
Life is what happens while people make plans for it. This is not a big deal. It happens.

On non refundable deposits I offer for the following.

Yes it may teach her that one person needs to do booking. But in reality it was a snafu. To charge her for such a thing is to GUARANTEE not ever getting called by her or anyone she knows ever. If you want to be that guy over a phone call go right ahead.

In reality you are out nothing. I can't even see personally why this is a big deal. I absolutely bet the job was not lost in that time frame but that they simply had not communicated in a few days. You could have run the credit card and kept the deposit and angered a potential buyer plus everyone she knows. Certainly that is an option. Not the one I would go with but an option no less.

Ya, not much you can do and totally agree with Danny. I am willing to bet that once you start booking more shows you'll notice that the prospects who say no will start rolling off your back. It takes time to be rejected. I was booked by Martina McBride (country music star) and then cancelled the night before. I should have had a deposit. Lesson: ALWAYS have a deposit!!!

Josh
Josh
ChrisC
View Profile
New user
66 Posts

Profile of ChrisC
I used to run into this problem all the time when I did D2D sales.

The best thing you can do is learn from the experience, stop focusing energy on it, and focus on booking new shows. Possibly send her a handwritten note saying it was a pleasure speaking with her, and that if you can ever send business her way you certainly will.

For future reference, when handling incoming leads I would use more qualifying questions such as,

“(Persons name), along with you, who else will be in on the decision-making process?”

It's a nice way of asking if she is the real/only DM, if she is not, you can set up a time to speak with the real DM and avoid wasting time and getting your hopes up.

-Chris
Magician Shaun
View Profile
Special user
Huntington BCH, CA
920 Posts

Profile of Magician Shaun
Josh,

It wasn't that she said no. It was that she said yes put me down for this date and time. I am booking you for 2 hours. Then when I sent over the contract and all, 15 minutes later, when I got home she replied with, I am so sorry my office manager booked someone else since we spoke.

I could care less about the ones that say no, your out of my price range, etc.
MickNZ
View Profile
Special user
Auckland, New Zealand
577 Posts

Profile of MickNZ
Quote:
On 2013-11-13 14:52, Magician Shaun wrote:
I had a Gig inquiry today while I was driving back from setting up a different corporate gig. I spoke to the lady on the phone for about 15 minutes. We agreed upon 1.5 hours of walk around for her company christmas party and a fee. I told her I would send the contract to her as soon as I got home. I get home, put all the information into the contract, write an email and send it out. About 5 minutes later I get a reply email from here apologizing that her "office manager had booked someone else in the interim and the deposit was already paid so she had to cancel with me."

It is really irritating because I spent probably 30 minutes of my time dealing with this and it was a done deal. Then within the few minutes it takes me to get home, they book someone else.

First, what could I have done differently in this case?

Why on earth did you waste 15 minutes on the phone for a simple walkaround gig? That should be done and dusted in five minutes max ... INCLUDING the time to write up and email through the invoice for the event.

What were you talking about for 15 minutes? Serious question. You should be able to describe what you do, in a nutshell, in 30 seconds or less. The rest is just confirming how many people, whereabouts the event is, and what the fee is. Where's the other 12 minutes of conversation coming from?

- Sounds like she just wasn't sold on you so ended up hiring someone else who sounded more experienced. This is to be expected when you're starting out, it happens to everyone. It happened to me for years. Don't worry about it.

And whatever you do, do NOT complain, do not "send her a card", don't try to educate her, don't try to "leverage her guilt", don't tell her that you were looking forward to entertaining her group, don't whine like a little kid about "having a verbal contract", don't suggest legal precedents or any of that garbage, it'll just make you seem even more small time.

... I'm starting to sound like Danny Doyle.
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
20370 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Yea but with a cool accent!
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
MickNZ
View Profile
Special user
Auckland, New Zealand
577 Posts

Profile of MickNZ
I do my best.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricky business » » How do you deal with this? (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.19 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL