The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » MINDvention » » MindVention was FABULOUS (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2~3~4 [Next]
saysold1
View Profile
Eternal Order
Recovering Cafe addict with only
10798 Posts

Profile of saysold1
Thanks to Danny and everyone who put together such a fantastic roster of talent and education - it was awesome!

This was my first rodeo and I couldn't have been more pleased.

I was especially blown away by Michael Weber (so darn good) and Docc Hilford (so good and so funny) +++ so many other talented performers. Cashetta the queen of magic was brilliant!

Our own Bob Cassidy was in fine form for his roast and also did a spot on performance last night!

Yes there were a few *very* minor hiccups, but overall I was just delighted to be there and meet and hang out with so many Café members and performer.

Banachek stopped and ducked in quite a few times and there were a few other pop-ins by Jeff McBride and some well known performers on the strip who were checking out all the vendor goodies.

I 100% will be at next years event - thanks again Danny and all who made this superb conference possible. A total blast!

(now I need some much needed sleep)
Creator of The SvenPad Supreme(R) line of aerospace level quality, made in the USA utility props. https://svenpads.com/
GaMind
View Profile
New user
Atlanta, GA
73 Posts

Profile of GaMind
I'll second everything Saysold1 said too (sorry couldn't resist). It was a terrific convention -- four days of non-stop learning, laughing and socializing (and more than a little buying in the dealer's room).

All of the lectures and performances were great. But for me, the stunner of the week was Cashetta. Not only does Scott put on an incredible show, but Cashetta is a great example of how your character drives everything you do; from costuming, to effect selection, to performance style.

And of course, congratulations to Bob on his much deserved honor. Hearing him talk is like taking a master's course in mentalism.

Thanks to Danny and Robert and all of the others involved in putting this together. I can't wait for next year.
AttnPls
View Profile
Special user
554 Posts

Profile of AttnPls
A big thanks to Danny and Robert for another successful Mindvention.

Cashetta's standing ovation was well deserved. Her "Q&A" readings were absolutely amazing! I rarely get to see other performers do Q&A, but it was marvelous to see how real and accurate and wonderfully entertaining they can be. As GaMind points out, our art is about entertainment and Cashetta is an inspiring example of how a great character and expert performance can take standard mentalism routines to an entirely new level. I also appreciate the fact that we got the opportunity to see a full show by an active, working professional.

It was such fun to honor Bob Cassidy this year for all he has done for our art and craft.

Well done!
eSamuels
View Profile
Inner circle
3085 Posts

Profile of eSamuels
My list of highlights:

- Michael Weber lecture
- Cassidy Roast (not for the easily offended - I'm still laughing)
- John Rigg's "gaffed impression device," & Jack-In-The-Box!
- Docc's 'gotcha' booktest twist during the Masters Of Mentalism show!

Great job Danny & Robert!

e
Paul Carnazzo
View Profile
Inner circle
1174 Posts

Profile of Paul Carnazzo
What a great time! It was great seeing everyone!
remember....always use your powers for good!

http://www.mentalvoyage.com
mastermindreader
View Profile
1949 - 2017
Seattle, WA
12586 Posts

Profile of mastermindreader
I am now ready to check into rehab.
Gerry Hennessey
View Profile
Special user
852 Posts

Profile of Gerry Hennessey
Highlights

Paul Vigil. Wonderful (The Christopher Walken of the art)
Michael Weber Lecture
Doccs performance on the last night

Of course the Bob Cassidy Roast. A brilliant line up of mentalism luminaries, mercilessly trashing & praising our beloved Bob.

And one more. Eric Samuels. His performance on the attendee show was marvelous. His "thin slicing" effect was so well thought out, sophisticated and professional. Loved it.
"Every discipline effects every other discipline. You can't straighten out the corporation if your closet is a mess" Jim Rohn
Gerry Hennessey
View Profile
Special user
852 Posts

Profile of Gerry Hennessey
Quote:
On 2013-11-14 19:12, mastermindreader wrote:
I am now ready to check into rehab.

Don't worry Bob, you wont be lonely. Mayor Ford is on his way
"Every discipline effects every other discipline. You can't straighten out the corporation if your closet is a mess" Jim Rohn
brucewilcox
View Profile
Loyal user
Readers advised to disregard most of my
266 Posts

Profile of brucewilcox
Quote:
And one more. Eric Samuels. His performance on the attendee show was marvelous. His "thin slicing" effect was so well thought out, sophisticated and professional. Loved it.

Amen. Superbly written and delivered.
...in the Land of the Free, and the Home of the B'Wave.
saysold1
View Profile
Eternal Order
10798 Posts

Profile of saysold1
Another highlight was meeting many cool Café members in the flesh.

What's makes this convention so special is the intimacy with some of the best performers in the world. I learned and absorbed a lot.

Rum and Coke anyone ?
Creator of The SvenPad Supreme(R) line of aerospace level quality, made in the USA utility props. https://svenpads.com/
funkyguy
View Profile
New user
73 Posts

Profile of funkyguy
John Rigg's "Jack in the box" was great. Even when it was in Amazing Johnathan's act in 2002.

http://www.comedycentral.com/video-clips......-the-box
RileyG
View Profile
Special user
Las Vegas
840 Posts

Profile of RileyG
I believe John Riggs was doing this bit back in the early to mid 90's.
Signed,
Riley G Matthews Jr
SAG-AFTRA actor
Www.RileyG.com
mastermindreader
View Profile
1949 - 2017
Seattle, WA
12586 Posts

Profile of mastermindreader
Quote:
On 2013-11-15 03:00, RileyG wrote:
I believe John Riggs was doing this bit back in the early to mid 90's.

Yes, he was. Jonathan may well have gotten the idea from Riggs.
Doomo
View Profile
Inner circle
2364 Posts

Profile of Doomo
Ok guys. It was a blast!It was a lot of fun to meet all of you! Especially Bob and his Lauren Bacall hair!

Tony
If you ever get to a point where words have no meaning, you're probably talking to a dog.

Remember! More Bang For LESS Bucks! It is the right way!

www.rfaproductions.com
saysold1
View Profile
Eternal Order
10798 Posts

Profile of saysold1
I agree Tony - Bob has gorgeous hair and I was envious personally. Good thoughts Bob Smile
Jumbopenny
View Profile
Loyal user
Bay Area, Northern California USA
257 Posts

Profile of Jumbopenny
This was my first Mindvention, and I had a great time. Thanks to Danny Archer and his crew for all their hard work. There was so much incredible talent there it was amazing.
Michael Weber: So much knowledge and quick wit.
Doc Hilford: Amazing NRG, personality, and humor. I'm still laughing at his elephant joke from the roast.
Cashetta: So entertaining, talented, and brave.
Paul Vigil: Deep, meaningful, and above all else poetic. My idol who I would think twice before debating with.
Last but not least Bob Cassidy the legend that he is. Strong, powerful, and convincing mind reading.

Also dealers who I purchased from:

Tony (Doomo) Miller's wallets. All of them, especially the Complete Peek Wallet which may be my favorite wallet of all time. Just brilliant thinking.

Labco's Mindbuster: Like 10 Christmas presents all rolled into one.

The only person missing that I expected there was Steve Brooks. Next year Steve?

Ken
George Hunter
View Profile
Inner circle
2017 Posts

Profile of George Hunter
It was a good Mindvention, but one moment was embarrassing. During the Bob Cassidy roast, while Jheff was speaking, the other roasters stood up and walked out! None of them would have done that as individuals, but as a group they engaged in what many experienced as a public insult, though I doubt that was their intention.

Jheff may not have been at his best that night, but at least two of the "walkers" were not either. We observed what behavioral scientists have known for decades. People, in groups, may act in ways that are lower than their individual ethical principles. So I was only somewhat astonished when no one of the four had the testicularity to say "No."

George
saysold1
View Profile
Eternal Order
10798 Posts

Profile of saysold1
Quote:
On 2013-11-16 10:11, George Hunter wrote:
It was a good Mindvention, but one moment was embarrassing. During the Bob Cassidy roast, while Jheff was speaking, the other roasters stood up and walked out! None of them would have done that as individuals, but as a group they engaged in what many experienced as a public insult, though I doubt that was their intention.

Jheff may not have been at his best that night, but at least two of the "walkers" were not either. We observed what behavioral scientists have known for decades. People, in groups, may act in ways that are lower than their individual ethical principles. So I was only somewhat astonished when no one of the four had the testicularity to say "No."

George

George with all respect I need to disagree with you on this.

First off, this was a classic "roast" which by its definition is raunchy, uncouth, raw and not for the feint of heart. If this were some kind of chamber of commerce award or humanitarian of the year award... Then yes I would agree. But no, this was a roast and it was supposed to be a four letter wordfest and no holds barred.

Did I feel a little sorry for Jheff? Sure.

But anyone on that podium should have come prepared with a proper barrage of one liners and entertaining scripting - and Jheff probably would gave been wise to get some help reviewing his material to add some funny bits rather than 10+ min of dry story retelling without so much as a single gag or one liner. The "Liberace" of mentalists just didn't cut it.

I know Jheff is a great guy and close pal of Bob's - however the tension that built after 10 min of droning was creating a bit of audience tension that could have been cut with a knife as it was palpable. The other performers at the dais did the right thing at the perfect moment IMO. They broke the tension with some much needed humor at the precise moment that the audience of 150 needed it. Was it at Jheff's expense? Without a shred of doubt.

However the impromptu nature of it and the fact that it did break the building tension was exactly what was needed.

Jheff like any performer should have worked his script with someone to sweeten it with some zingers. It's obvious he never did that. So to me there was a performance lesson here for me and others. If you are strong in some areas but weaker in others, don't be too proud to ask for some help - especially before a big event.

Anyone speaking at a roast should know the rules of the road and nature of the game - hands get dirty and so does the language.

Like any of us who misjudge an audience or flub a routine, we either learn from it and improve or blame the audience or others (which is a mistake in this case). No one wished to hurt Jheff's feelings in a personal way - but the audience including me was thankful for a much needed laugh.
Doomo
View Profile
Inner circle
2364 Posts

Profile of Doomo
Well said ! I watched the roast. The MC had the event in hand nicely. But the other participants were at a loss to say anything mean about Bob. Which IS the point of a roast. But other than that... It was fun! And to be honest. I was sold out of everything by the 2nd day. So I had a GREAT TIME!

After that I got to talk to a lot of people and just have a good time. It was great seeing all of you there!

Tony
If you ever get to a point where words have no meaning, you're probably talking to a dog.

Remember! More Bang For LESS Bucks! It is the right way!

www.rfaproductions.com
George Hunter
View Profile
Inner circle
2017 Posts

Profile of George Hunter
Saysold1:

By your silence, you have conceded my main point: That a group, acting as a group, did something that no individual among them would have done as an individual. Their action reflected an often-observed pathology that sometimes afflicts the dynamics of a group.

You suggest that the rules for a roast are well known and consensually agreed, and that those rules provide for no-holds-barred, anything-goes improvisation. I respectfully disagree. Even though a roast navigates by a rather vague and unwritten code, many expressions would be considered outside of any agreed norms, like anything bordering on cruelty for example.

Nor do I agree that the ends (breaking the tension or boredom, or getting a laugh) justifies any and every possible means.

It is true that the group did not say anything, they just walked out. But that illustrates that when one engages in totally nonverbal communication, one has surrendered control of the meaning that others might attach to the action. The people around me felt sorry for Jheff, as you did; our issue is around how much that should matter.

True, Jeff might have been differently prepared for his remarks and might have indulged in some counter-fun at the departing group's expense. But let's refrain from blaming the victim entirely for what happened. After ll, at least one person in the group now has regrets.

George
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » MINDvention » » MindVention was FABULOUS (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2~3~4 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.05 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL