The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Reveal a friends name (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
lamo1994
View Profile
New user
5 Posts

Profile of lamo1994
I have seen a number of tv magicians who have walked up to people in the street and said "i want you to think of a friends name" and then they reveal the name of that person. the best example of this would be when woody Harrelson does it in the film "now you see me" (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QqdywcGsOp4)

I was wondering if this is possible? to do it with so little preparation and no props at all, and where I could learn to do a similar thing.

id love to be able to do a variation of this, and be able to walk up to someone on the street and be able to say there name, would be a good ice breaker for when going to a nightclub.
MatthewSims
View Profile
Special user
778 Posts

Profile of MatthewSims
Did that movie turn you onto magic?
lamo1994
View Profile
New user
5 Posts

Profile of lamo1994
It definitely helped. I am really interested in the whole mentalism side of things, I like the fact that there are little to no props, seem so raw. still a complete noobie though
duanebarry
View Profile
Special user
883 Posts

Profile of duanebarry
In movies people can also upload a computer virus from their Mac to an alien spaceship.

There are probably some technical forums where you could ask experts how to do that.
lamo1994
View Profile
New user
5 Posts

Profile of lamo1994
Turns out that its a technique that woody harrelson has learnt to do, he did it on the late night show too (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B5W_FSQvAGw)with a book test. can anybody tell me what the technique is? in this example he goes through the vowels of the alphabet and selects the right one
Scott Soloff
View Profile
Special user
Philadelphia, PA
960 Posts

Profile of Scott Soloff
Lamo1994,

Since most of the elder statesman of the forum are in Las Vegas,
I think I'll take a stab at this one.

With only 4 posts under your belt, it is doubtful that anyone
here will discuss our craft with you.

If you are serious, do what the rest of these guys did...

Study!!! Then apply what you learn.

Best of luck,

Scott
'Curiouser and curiouser."
Dynamike
View Profile
Eternal Order
FullTimer
24148 Posts

Profile of Dynamike
Lamo, I am sorry but we rather wait until you learn our list of codes:
http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewt......forum=15
Once you learn each one by heart, you may enter our world. It took me only 30 days. Good luck.
Curtis Alexander
View Profile
New user
74 Posts

Profile of Curtis Alexander
Buy 13 Steps to Mentalism by Corinda and you will be well on your way.
eSamuels
View Profile
Inner circle
3085 Posts

Profile of eSamuels
I have a routine that you are welcome to borrow.
It always gets great reactions.

First, I walk up to a complete stranger.

"Excuse me. Would you please confirm that we have never met before?"

"Uh, yeah, I have no idea who you are."

"Excellent! And would it be safe to say that you don't know my name?"

"Yes, it would be. But can you get to the point, I have to get to work."

"So, you had no idea when you left the house this morning, that a total stranger would approach you and begin asking you seemingly irrelevant questions?"

"Uh, sure."

"And if I told you that this entire interaction was completely unplanned and that even I had no idea that you would be the person that I would end up harassing today - could you confirm this statement to be true?"

"Yeah....look, I don't want to be a jerk, but I have to get going."

"Of course, that makes perfect sense. But before you go, would you please open the envelope (pointing) that has been resting on that park bench since I stopped you, and in a nice loud voice, read everything that is printed on the enclosed sheet of paper."

He tears open the envelope and begins to read:

"On my way to work this morning, some jack@ss I've never met, will stop me, ask me a series of inane questions that have nothing to do with anything (which is in itself redundant), and make me read this nonsense removed from a sealed envelope, filled with a series of vague statements, all of which are true, but meaningless. And the kicker is that I am now late for work."

This bit kills!
Feel free to use it, except in NYC where you'll probably get punched.
NFW
View Profile
Inner circle
UK
1002 Posts

Profile of NFW
Now that's funny.....
insight
View Profile
Inner circle
3095 Posts

Profile of insight
Eric, your posts are always entertaining to read. Keep it up! Smile

Regards,
Mike
Quote:
On 2013-11-14 15:04, eSamuels wrote:
I have a routine that you are welcome to borrow.
It always gets great reactions.

First, I walk up to a complete stranger.

"Excuse me. Would you please confirm that we have never met before?"

"Uh, yeah, I have no idea who you are."

"Excellent! And would it be safe to say that you don't know my name?"

"Yes, it would be. But can you get to the point, I have to get to work."

"So, you had no idea when you left the house this morning, that a total stranger would approach you and begin asking you seemingly irrelevant questions?"

"Uh, sure."

"And if I told you that this entire interaction was completely unplanned and that even I had no idea that you would be the person that I would end up harassing today - could you confirm this statement to be true?"

"Yeah....look, I don't want to be a jerk, but I have to get going."

"Of course, that makes perfect sense. But before you go, would you please open the envelope (pointing) that has been resting on that park bench since I stopped you, and in a nice loud voice, read everything that is printed on the enclosed sheet of paper."

He tears open the envelope and begins to read:

"On my way to work this morning, some jack@ss I've never met, will stop me, ask me a series of inane questions that have nothing to do with anything (which is in itself redundant), and make me read this nonsense removed from a sealed envelope, filled with a series of vague statements, all of which are true, but meaningless. And the kicker is that I am now late for work."

This bit kills!
Dynamike
View Profile
Eternal Order
FullTimer
24148 Posts

Profile of Dynamike
Quote:
On 2013-11-14 15:04, eSamuels wrote:

This bit kills!

Of course it kills, if it was to be used in Detroit. You will be shot.
John C
View Profile
Eternal Order
I THINK therefore I wrote
12968 Posts

Profile of John C
Is it on DVD? Is the prediction included or do we need to make it?
Mike Ince
View Profile
Inner circle
2041 Posts

Profile of Mike Ince
E, that's the post of the week! Big laughs here. Thanks.
The secret of deception is in making the truth seem ridiculous.
TonyB2009
View Profile
Inner circle
5006 Posts

Profile of TonyB2009
Lamo1994, newbies on this forum are bullied unmercifully by guys who should be mature enough to know better.

Check out two books: Thirteen Steps to Mentalism by Tony Corinda, and Practical Mental Magic by Theo Annemann. There is a lot in both, but they are great starts. They might not answer your question, but they will give you the foundation to search for the answers. It is a long but satisfying road. Hope you stick with it. Tony
Mindpro
View Profile
Eternal Order
10605 Posts

Profile of Mindpro
Wow, how did you do that? Is there somewhere where you can direct me where I could study this as I've always been interested in type of thing. Is it on a DVD or better yet, youtube?
Mike Ince
View Profile
Inner circle
2041 Posts

Profile of Mike Ince
Quote:
On 2013-11-14 19:52, TonyB2009 wrote:
Lamo1994, newbies on this forum are bullied unmercifully by guys who should be mature enough to know better.

True. I've PM'd lamo1994 a few times in the last couple of days with recommendations for where to begin. He's respectful and understands why guys wouldn't want to share too much with a newbie on a public forum. I think I've been friendly... haven't I, lamo1994?

I don't think eSamuels post above was meant to bully. I hope it wasn't taken to be. I did find it funny.
The secret of deception is in making the truth seem ridiculous.
TonyB2009
View Profile
Inner circle
5006 Posts

Profile of TonyB2009
Mike, I am glad someone is showing a bit of class.

Mindpro, did you spring from the ground a fully formed mentalist? Lucky you. The rest of us had to begin at the beginning and learn. If I am wrong in my assumption, and you did have to learn at some point, then why the arrogant attitude?

Guys, what happened to magicians helping magicians? Or is that just empty rhetoric?
eSamuels
View Profile
Inner circle
3085 Posts

Profile of eSamuels
Tony,

lamo1994's question was answered about as well as it could be, by Bard, in an early post in this thread.
My post was intended as light-hearted and by no means directed at the OP.

Being accused of "bullying" (assuming that you directed that comment at me), seems a tad inflammatory.
Indeed, I would suggest that over the years, I have made more than my share of contributions to help other performers on this board.

e
Mark_Chandaue
View Profile
Inner circle
Essex UK
4191 Posts

Profile of Mark_Chandaue
Quote:
On 2013-11-14 20:14, TonyB2009 wrote:
Mike, I am glad someone is showing a bit of class.

Mindpro, did you spring from the ground a fully formed mentalist?

Guys, what happened to magicians helping magicians? Or is that just empty rhetoric?

Not attempting to answer for Mindpro here and this post means no disrespect to Lamo but whilst none of us sprung up from the ground fully formed mentalists or magicians neither were many of us handed everything on a plate merely for the asking. Magicians helping magicians is a worthy goal and there are few more willing to share than me. But don't we have an obligation to those that have gone before, and those that wish to follow, to ensure that those we are helping are actually magicians and not the merely curious that effects are priced to keep out of the hands of.

The Internet has made the search for answers far quicker and far easier but that is not always a good thing. In the old days you had to "earn your stripes" before information was shared so freely. You had to demonstrate at least a modicum of effort and dedication, and a genuine desire to learn, and perform rather than simply wanting to know how (insert magicians name) did that trick.

My father was a professional magician and the only thing he ever gave me freely (at age 4) was a copy of Bobo's and the instruction to come back and show him when I had learnt something. For the next 11 years until he died he gave me support encouragement and inspiration but he never revealed a single secret directly beyond allowing me greater access to his library as my improvement in skills warranted.

By the time Bobby Bernard, Harry Baron and Ron McMillan took me under their respective wings I had put in the study and the effort to give them confidence that I had learned the value of the secrets they were willing to entrust to me. The names of the inspirations and mentors is different for all of us but the story is largely the same for most of us old fogies.

If you were performing at a gig and a stranger asked you "how did (insert magicians name) do (insert name of effect)" would you be so quick to provide the secret, or even the name of the book that contains the secret?

Sometimes magicians helping magicians means knowing when not to answer the question without first being sure of who it is doing the asking.

Mark
Mark Chandaue A.I.M.C.
Harpacrown and Harpacrown Too are available from
http://www.harpacrown.co.uk
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Reveal a friends name (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.06 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL