The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Nothing up my sleeve... » » How to open, then close a short performance ? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

CarpetShark
View Profile
Special user
576 Posts

Profile of CarpetShark
Being a relative novice, I am appealing to the many experts here to explain what routine makes for a good introduction, and which to use as a final 'trick'. I am talking about a short set of non-stop routines, starting by showing apparently empty hands, performing a killer opening, linked to a few other effects, then ending smoothly by magically vanishing all coins.

So, to reiterate, How do you normally start your show, and how do you end it ?
harris
View Profile
Inner circle
Harris Deutsch
8812 Posts

Profile of harris
Openings over the years have include:

flash of fire and a coin appears.
flash of light and a coin appears. (FISM Flash)
Harmonica music...and using harmonica as a wand to produce a coin
small harmonica (1 inch) is used to play a song...and changes to a coin..(ala spellbound

or simpler...

Just say hi, my name is Harris...I'm the 3rd of 2 children..going on to explain that I couldn't do all the things my older brother could, like baseball, football..talk to girls...
but I could do this...coin roll with 1, 2, 3 then 4 coins...

endings

coin(s) to jumbo
coin to grasshopper
coin to soft drink lid (much cheaper than jumbo coins..and practical)
coin to apple..take a bite and walk off--- I used that one a lot during walk around venues.

Normal is in the eye of the beholder...Since my venues and audiences and even myself are not the same being flexible helps. (like use of fire being more frowned on.)
Harris Deutsch aka dr laugh
drlaugh4u@gmail.com
music, magic and marvelous toys
http://magician.org/member/drlaugh4u
doug brewer
View Profile
V.I.P.
1142 Posts

Profile of doug brewer
Your question can be most easily answered if we know the setting: informal show (e.g. family/friend gathering); formal shows (close-up, stand-up, stage?); strolling, bar?

I would have a different answer for each setting, TBO.

Basic "set" for strolling or informal: coins, cards, closer

Closer could be card to wallet, cups & balls, cardtoon (yes), just something strong and unusual ...
Lawrence O
View Profile
Inner circle
French Riviera
6811 Posts

Profile of Lawrence O
Doug is raising a capital point in addressing the performing circumstances.
Now there are sefveral points in common between various settings.
The first one is to start with a smile: audiences large or small are potential (or actual) friends and you want them to be closer friends.
Now when it comes to tricks' selection.
Take the effect that you can do well that has the greatest impact on your past audiences (large or small) and keep it for the climax or your performance.
Then take the second most powerful one on your past audiences and use it as an opener.
Just before the climax trick, place a magician in trouble trick
Before that, between the opener and the magician in trouble place tricks that you know well starting with the quickest one and gettinng progressively into more elaborate routines.

This isn't sufficient to build an act, but it's a sound way to start.
Magic is the art of emotionally sharing live impossible situations
doug brewer
View Profile
V.I.P.
1142 Posts

Profile of doug brewer
Great advice L.O.!
Kaneda
View Profile
New user
Keithville, LA
81 Posts

Profile of Kaneda
That is some really great advice. Great way to start thinking on a routine which is in my opinon a great step in the right direction and not just knowing tricks.
harris
View Profile
Inner circle
Harris Deutsch
8812 Posts

Profile of harris
Just thought of another ending I have used...following the beginning with a small harmonica

at the end turn a coin into the small harmonica...and as a topper change the small harmonica into a larger ...either 10 hole diatonic...or one of my larger tremolo harp.

Harris
drlaugh4u@gmail.com
CarpetShark
View Profile
Special user
576 Posts

Profile of CarpetShark
Harris, your advice is exactly what I am after, thank you for the help. Pity my guitars and bass are too big for use here, but then again I could substitute pretty much whatever comes to mind...perhaps a bottle cap to a jar lid...

Lawrence, you are indeed correct in asking for venue details; I should have added that to my initial post. I am talking about a small static (non-motile) audience, e.g. sitting around a table or performing on a small stage. Luckily I have stage experience as a musician, which will help when it comes to performing in general...I hope! Bands tend to start out with a well known song, and end with their biggest hit, so it makes sense to perform tricks (as you mentioned) in a similar way.
Lawrence O
View Profile
Inner circle
French Riviera
6811 Posts

Profile of Lawrence O
The advice on venue details was from Doug. I only confirmed that it was a sound advice. To be able to keep on sharing happily, let's keep on giving credit where credit is due.
Magic is the art of emotionally sharing live impossible situations
CarpetShark
View Profile
Special user
576 Posts

Profile of CarpetShark
Quote:
On 2013-11-16 22:55, Lawrence O wrote:
The advice on venue details was from Doug. I only confirmed that it was a sound advice. To be able to keep on sharing happily, let's keep on giving credit where credit is due.

My mistake. Apologies to Doug for the oversite.
harris
View Profile
Inner circle
Harris Deutsch
8812 Posts

Profile of harris
Guitar/Bass players can use their picks.
The brass ones have a nice weight for magic.

I love the choice in colors and size. I haven't invested in one, but I hear you can get "jumbo pics", that some dealers use as display models.

One could also produce a "capo" instead of a jumbo coin. Need is a great motivator for magic.

hmmmm...coin to chicken thigh sounds good right now. (blood sugar must be low...or too much caffeine)

....and speaking of jar lids...

they come in all shapes and sizes....Can you say.....Johnson (Rick) meets Explosion.....(Mr. Dill)

Yes, knowing when to stop ....and with what.....Priceless

Harris
with about 5 more days left in his 50's
drlaugh4u@gmail.com
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Nothing up my sleeve... » » How to open, then close a short performance ? (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL