The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tenyo of Japan » » 4D Printer Tenyo 2014 (1 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Steve Majes
View Profile
New user
1 Post

Profile of Steve Majes
Received Tenyo's 4D Printer yesterday. The idea is good and would work well, however, the prop is made of cardboard and the construction of the stand part easily ripped while I was putting it together.

I say the principle would work well? I got it to work twice then no more :-( It could be that the cardboard unit is causing friction to the moving part or that the devices to move that part are not strong enough?

Very disappointed with the manufacture of the prop, reminds me or the ripping problems I had as a teenager with the Tenyo's Silk Serenade.

I will have a go at making the prop myself as the principle would be fun to play with, but as a toy/magic product to use in itself there are going to be some upset young magicians.

Would be interesting to hear if others have experienced these problems as well.
joseph
View Profile
Eternal Order
Please ignore my
17411 Posts

Profile of joseph
The 'D' stands for defective?..
Thanks for sharing. ...
"Everything should be made as simple as possible, but no simpler." (Einstein)...
cyberdave03
View Profile
Loyal user
287 Posts

Profile of cyberdave03
I am very impressed by the ingenuity of this trick. Very clever thinking. Yes, the "envelope" is made of thick cardboard, but it seems pretty sturdy, and I had no trouble constructing it. Mine works very well and is astounding my audiences, children and adults alike. The exception to this is the totally lame card stack "force" - even a 6 year old would see through this. So I substituted a riffle card force, loading the the cards used in the trick at the top of the deck. As they seem to be choosing cards randomly from the center of the deck, there's no suspicion. Completely floors the specs. It can be easily mastered with a little practice, as shown here:

http://youtu.be/RUcDlMkGWn4

Reasons why yours isn't working? Make sure the opening of the envelope stand is completely rectangular. Make sure the blank card with the magical something is at the back of the three, with the magical object at the bottom. Make sure you don't insert the blank cards too quickly. And make sure you're holding the envelope gently when inserting the blank cards - avoid pinching.
Richard Kaufman
View Profile
Inner circle
2532 Posts

Profile of Richard Kaufman
The Cross-Cut Force has been proven effective since devised by Max Holden decades ago. I use it myself and KNOW that it works. You have to use some time misdirection between the moment you cross the deck and when you remove the top packet and deal out the "chosen" cards. No need for a Riffle Force.

The rest of CyberDAve's advice is good. READ THE INSTRUCTIONS AND FOLLOW THEM CAREFULLY. The position of the gimmick on the rear card is important, and make sure you've assembled the blue envelope properly with the slide going AROUND the piece in the center.

There is no reason that your product should not work perfectly. And you don't hold the envelope when you insert the blank cards. It stands upright on the table and you simply use a finger to keep it stable.
teevtee
View Profile
Special user
963 Posts

Profile of teevtee
I also do not like the corss cut force and I try not to use it. But the good news is that ANY force works... just use what you like.
stereo
View Profile
Inner circle
France - Paris
1455 Posts

Profile of stereo
Cross-Cut ? I like it very much !!! Because I'm always fooled to see No one realizes nothing while the technique is so obvious and simple. It's for me all the strength of this force.
But yes lot of other forcing can be used and maybe can be better for the performance.
Killertweety
View Profile
Inner circle
Belgium (-Europe)
1457 Posts

Profile of Killertweety
The first times I tried the trick it didn't work - however when you read the instructions Tenyo sais you just have to keep the envelope steady, do not squeeze or even 'hold' it. It works fine now. The gimmick is delicate yes, if your envelope is bend it won't slide down properly.
indomagic
View Profile
Inner circle
1143 Posts

Profile of indomagic
Just hope Tenyo make it in plastic material as they use to be ..Smile
Richard Kaufman
View Profile
Inner circle
2532 Posts

The product has already been released and it won't be remade in plastic. A plastic case would actually be much more suspicious looking than what they are selling.
indomagic
View Profile
Inner circle
1143 Posts

Profile of indomagic
I have bunch of TENYO item which mostly made by plastic. For me Tenyo is my clever plastic toys magic. I don't so much concern about the suspicious looking . I bought it because I love it.
ThatsCool
View Profile
Elite user
424 Posts

Profile of ThatsCool
Quote:
On 2013-11-15 06:06, Steve Majes wrote:
Received Tenyo's 4D Printer yesterday. The idea is good and would work well, however, the prop is made of cardboard and the construction of the stand part easily ripped while I was putting it together.

I say the principle would work well? I got it to work twice then no more :-( It could be that the cardboard unit is causing friction to the moving part or that the devices to move that part are not strong enough?

Very disappointed with the manufacture of the prop, reminds me or the ripping problems I had as a teenager with the Tenyo's Silk Serenade.

I will have a go at making the prop myself as the principle would be fun to play with, but as a toy/magic product to use in itself there are going to be some upset young magicians.

I truly love Tenyo most of the time, but cardboard?

The card holder is already huge and magical looking, so I fail to see how thin sheet plastic in the same blue color and design would make it look any more suspicious than the flimsy and cheap cardboard it was released as.

I have Tenyo's Mickey Mouse color changing discs, also made entirely of cheap cardboard. While I actually love the effect, there is no reason why Tenyo could not release these type of illusions in thin sheet plastic as they have with other items.

Tenyo, Tenyo, Tenyo.....Smile.
Bill Scape
View Profile
New user
73 Posts

Profile of Bill Scape
I set this up yesterday and performed it exactly as the instructions suggested using the cross cut force and then pulling away and showing the blank cards before going back to the cut cards. It blew my pals away. They were really freaked out. This would be a lovely Tenyo Elite item.
Richard Kaufman
View Profile
Inner circle
2532 Posts

Tenyo sold Silk Serenade, made entirely of cardboard, for decades. Their lay customers don't complain. I would imagine that perhaps making "4D Printer" in plastic would have doubled the price, which is probably bad for business when your main customer base is Japanese laymen who are used to paying $12 to $18 for a Tenyo trick. That's how much they cost in Japan.
ThatsCool
View Profile
Elite user
424 Posts

Profile of ThatsCool
Quote:
On 2014-01-05 12:12, Richard Kaufman wrote:
Tenyo sold Silk Serenade, made entirely of cardboard, for decades. Their lay customers don't complain.

It's impossible to say that nobody complained or was unhappy with Silk Serenade being made out of paper/cardboard. Some customers may have preferred a plastic version of the records and envelope so they would hold up better.

Quote:
On 2014-01-05 12:12, Richard Kaufman wrote:
I would imagine that perhaps making "4D Printer" in plastic would have doubled the price, which is probably bad for business when your main customer base is Japanese laymen who are used to paying $12 to $18 for a Tenyo trick. That's how much they cost in Japan.

As I originally said, the color changing discs,(both Mickey Mouse and Silk Serenade), are great illusions. However producing magic tricks that are going to be used over and over out of paper/cardboard is not conducive to the lasting of the product. Things get bent, torn, and damaged fairly easily if the item is frequently used. Steve Majes in this thread mentioned his 4D Printer easily ripped.

Tenyo's "Wondering Hole" comes to mind as to the type of material of plastic I am speaking of. It can, and has been done.

You are 100% correct though Richard. Cost is a factor in all business and always is part of the plan. Yet some people feel that making items out of plastic, or a plastic, tear resistant coating (when something is made of cardboard), is a better idea, and would not necessarily drastically increase the price of the trick.

Don't get me wrong. I believe the majority of Tenyo items are great illusions made very well with much thought, planning, and care. My only concern is when an item is all cardboard or paper when it possibly could have been made out of a sturdier material, the plastic sheet type I mentioned above.

Considering over 95% of Tenyo's illusions are made out of large amounts of plastic, it's difficult to agree that making the few cardboard constructed items (and I'm not talking about coated playing cards), out of thin plastic sheets would double the cost.
gariduc
View Profile
New user
8 Posts

Profile of gariduc
Quote:
On Nov 15, 2013, Steve Majes wrote:

gariduc
View Profile
New user
8 Posts

Profile of gariduc
I too find the folder flimsy. However, I ordered several Tenyo items on e-bay. The 4D Printer did not have English instructions. Would anyone like to e-mail me instructions, please. joe.legari1@rogers.com
Richard Kaufman
View Profile
Inner circle
2532 Posts

If you follow the instructions the prop will work every time, and I've assembled several and none have ripped. It is an envelope, and it makes perfect sense that it's made out of heavy card stock. It would make no sense if it was made out of plastic. Then it would be folder, not an envelope.
ralphgironda
View Profile
Loyal user
291 Posts

Profile of ralphgironda
Quote:
On Feb 4, 2015, Richard Kaufman wrote:
If you follow the instructions the prop will work every time, and I've assembled several and none have ripped. It is an envelope, and it makes perfect sense that it's made out of heavy card stock. It would make no sense if it was made out of plastic. Then it would be folder, not an envelope.

I agree with Richard, I have never had a problem.
gariduc
View Profile
New user
8 Posts

Profile of gariduc
There are still some nice guys who will help you and I might mention David T. Adams who came to my aid in sending me English instructions for 4D Printer. I have a few words of advice to pass on to anyone buying off the "NET". Before you click to buy, check all advertising about the item and if in doubt, drop an e-mail to the supplier and find out if there are English instructions. I got burnt twice and did not get any satisfaction from the dealers in China and Japan. I know I am not the only person who has come to The Café looking for English instructions. I have resorted to ordering from American dealers, may pay a bit more but I do get satisfaction.
All is not bad, I am more than pleased with my effects but did not like all the hassle in getting English instructions.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tenyo of Japan » » 4D Printer Tenyo 2014 (1 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL