The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » The Sapphire Collection, a new 2-DVD set from Osterlind Mysteries (1 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2~3~4 [Next]
barts185
View Profile
Inner circle
Can you believe I've been wrong on
1346 Posts

Profile of barts185
Trailer:
http://youtu.be/N2zQUDdX_6o

Ad copy from his site:

For 45 years, Richard Osterlind has been one of magic and mentalism's most prolific creators and The Sapphire Collection is a celebration of this milestone.

Featuring fifteen new and original Osterlind creations, this two-DVD set, like his legendary Mind Mysteries series, is destined to become essential viewing for aspiring and professional mystery performers alike. You'll see this powerful new material performed in front of an enthusiastic and awe-struck audience and then be taken behind the curtain as Richard, along with co-host Jim Sisti, dissects these effects in meticulous detail.

What's more, The Sapphire Collection looks different than any other magic or mentalism DVD you've ever seen. Shot in an exciting cinematic style by a filmmaker, you'll feel the energy of the performances and the immediacy of the explanations in an unprecedented way.

Impactful material presented and taught in an original and compelling way, The Sapphire Collection will reacquaint you with the pure power of strong and direct mentalism performed and taught by one of the art's most respected and influential performers and teachers.

Disc 1

HANDS OFF – A stunning card effect that has baffled every person who has seen it! A card is freely selected from a deck and placed into the middle. You name where it is and what the name of the card is from across the room. You never touch the deck!

POOR MAN'S BOOK TEST – An incredibly direct book test done with any borrowed book! This is appropriate for close-up or stage.

THE OSTERLIND READ – A new approach for doing a stage reading with a killer climax! Richard Webster now uses this in his show!

MIND READING WITH CARDS – A spectator freely chooses a card without looking at it. She guesses what the card is and you tell her the card she guesses! Nothing is written and the card is only in her mind!

QR TRANSPARENT FORCES – A thoroughly entertaining effect with the new Transparent Forces bag. Not only is the effect totally new, but the handling allows the spectator to take the bag into their own hands when making the selection!

3SP – Perhaps the best routine ever with an ESP deck! Three separate sections are all impossible with the routine growing in amazement as it progresses!

WHISPERING DIE – An improved handling for this masterpiece of close-up mentalism with an ending that is totally impossible If you own this already you will be delighted. If not, you will want to order one right away!

PERFECTED ADD-A-NUMBER – This is one of the highlights of this set! Numbers chosen by the audience are added up in the open. You show your “sealed in an envelope and folded “ prediction that matches the real numbers chosen by the audience!

THOUGHTS ON MENTALISM 1 - The first half of an incredible talk between Richard and Jim. This essay cuts to the hears of what mentalism is!

Disc 2

VINYL FOLDER Q&A – An incredible Q&A routine that you can put together with items from your local stationary store for under $50.00 and use the rest of your life! The tips and handling are worth ten times the cost of this entire set!

NUMERIC VORTEX – See Richard use this RECENT creation in a routine that kills! This timely effect is current and thought provoking!

WANTED: DEAD OR ALIVE – A routine where you use some of your business cards and pencils to perform a stage effect! Richard and Jim cover many ideas and variations.

OUT OF THE ROOM SELECTION – Taken from Kaplan’s The Fine Art of Magic, this staggering routine is on a par with Richard’s own Challenge Mind Reading!

CHECK EFFECT – A routine where a bill or your paycheck is freely placed in one of five envelopes which you later identify without touching them and from across the room! You can use this as the main feature in your act!

PENDULUM ROUTINE – Richard’s unique approach for using a pendulum. You can combine this idea in many ways with other pendulum effects you perform. The routine adds a new dimension for using a pendulum!

ALMOST REAL PREDICTION – Richard’s variation for the fantastic Jack London effect. Richard has updated the routine to make it modern and logical. You can do this stage effect at any time and any place with just an ordinary pad and pen! This is knowledge you cannot afford not to have!

THOUGHTS ON MENTALISM 2 – Richard and Jim complete their discussion on mentalism and the successful presentation of this wonderful art!
barts185
View Profile
Inner circle
1346 Posts

Profile of barts185
Some of these seem absolutely stunning.

Add to that it's by Richard Osterlind, and this looks like it will be a must have.

I wonder if he'll go over any of these in his lecture on Sunday? I'm guessing not, but would be great if he did a couple of things.
algebraic
View Profile
Special user
937 Posts

Profile of algebraic
My preorder is in.
barts185
View Profile
Inner circle
1346 Posts

Profile of barts185
For pre-orders (still not sure of the release date, see below), from the email:

If you pre-order The Sapphire Collection, you'll receive a copy of The Very Modern Mindreader - 10th Anniversary Edition as our gift - a $25.00 value! (Please note that this offer is only valid until The Sapphire Collection is in stock and shipping and will be withdrawn without notice. The DVDs are in duplication right now and we expect them before the end of the month.)

The Very Modern Mindreader was the first publication from Osterlind mysteries and was a huge success. Over time, Richard has improved on many aspects of the material.

This 10th anniversary edition of our classic work has been enhanced considerably. The line drawings have been replaced with crystal-clear photographs and much of the text has been modernized for greater understanding.

In addition, Richard has added the chapter, Very Modern Dynamite, a revolutionary new idea incorporating principles from George Anderson's Dynamite Mentalism into the routine. This makes The Very Modern Mindreader routine not only much more inexplicable and mysterious, but suitable for any size audience! You will love it!

The Very Modern Mindreader routine gives you the power to divine information sealed in envelopes by audience members with no gimmicks whatsoever - in fact, all of the elements may be left with the audience. This is reputation-making material, suitable for all venues from close-up to platform.

There are also additions to the other fabulous routines in the book including Richard's innovative ESP Card Calling which uses the Osterlind ESP card system to its maximum effect! You will learn why this is so much different than similar routines. Then there is a wonderful prediction finish that can be used whenever you want!

Also included are new ideas and illustrations for Steno ESP, which has become a standard part of many mentalists' repertoires. The handling is now made totally deceptive and easy to do.

We were always proud of The Very Modern Mindreader - but now we are even more proud!
Jean-Luc.R.
View Profile
Inner circle
QUEBEC - CANADA
1399 Posts

Profile of Jean-Luc.R.
You get the 2 DVD set here fir $79.95:

http://osterlindmysteries.com/store/inde......9da90708
Steve Hook
View Profile
Inner circle
Raleigh, NC, USA
1263 Posts

Profile of Steve Hook
Richard Osterlind has added just a little more info in this previous thread:

http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewt......m=111&11
Like Bonnie Raitt said, "I miss Little Feat more than I miss being 8 years old." Thanks for the concerts + recordings, Lowell, Richie, and Paul!
Slymagic
View Profile
New user
13 Posts

Profile of Slymagic
Hello!
I was one of the lucky ones to be at the taping of this set.
I can tell you that ALL of this material is just fantastic!!

For me, a few of the stand outs;

HANDS OFF; this incredibly clean, "hands off" effect left everyone STUNNED; simply unbelievable. I will be adding this to my performances.

WHISPERING DIE; if you already have this effect, you WILL want to add this ending. If you do not have Whispering Die, you will probably want one after seeing this.

PERFECTED ADD-A-NUMBER; this truly is one of the highlights (for me anyhow; I had been looking for an effect like this, and now I found it)). Yet another that will be going directly into my show. Impossible looking.

These are just three, but ALL of the material is just AMAZING!

Carl
ash2arani
View Profile
Special user
914 Posts

Profile of ash2arani
This set looks great. It is also worth noting that some of the items on these DVD's have been released in Six Shooter: Hands Off, 3SP, Poor Man's Book Test, Wanted: Dead or Alive, Perfected Add-a-Number, and Almost Real Prediction.

If one does not have Six Shooter, I would say this is an immediate buy as the material found in Six Shooter is killer! If one already has invested in Six Shooter, I am sure this is still worth it as I am sure it is always great seeing Richard Osterlind in action and later on discuss these gems in details.

My only hiccup is the use of marketed items (whispering die and numerical vortex). I speak of Whispering Die as I already own it. Now I do not know but it seems that the 'new' handling is not part of the original product. If that is the case, then I would have preferred if Richard added this handling to those who already purchased the stand-alone product (especially that it is only available through him) in the spirit of offering a more complete experience.

It would be understandable though if it was part of the Whispering Die expansion pack. If that is the case, then all is fine.

Either way, congratulations Richard on bringing yet another wonderful product to the magic and mentalism community.
Richard Osterlind
View Profile
V.I.P.
2214 Posts

Profile of Richard Osterlind
Thanks for all the positive comments. Let me address the last post.

Yes, all the effects in Six Shooter are included in the set. 6 out of 15. But a number of them have been updated and many people like to see the material in action to completely understand how it should look. I know for myself I often overlooked material until I saw the originator do it and then I got "fired up" about it.

Numeric Vortex was included because I wanted to show how it really plays in a real show with all the excitement. The demo version was shot in a classroom under difficult and limited conditions. Rest assured, I give complete instructions on how to make up the product if you don't want to buy it. (Just like I always have on all my DVDs)

The Whispering Die offers a different handling and ending. But, I also explain how this routine can be used with any "die" effect you may own. Again, it is the "concept" of the routine and not the equipment.

And remember, nothing is being "given away." Those who are interested in this series still have to pay for it.

With all that said, ash2arani, I do thank you so much for your generous comments. If you get the DVDs, please let me know how you like them. And always feel free to write with any questions.

Richard
Cameron Francis
View Profile
V.I.P.
6971 Posts

Profile of Cameron Francis
When I was getting back into magic after a looong hiatus, Richard was a huge influence on me. I'm not a mentalist but Richard's material and advice on performing transcends the rubrics of "mentalism" or "magic". There is much to be learned about routining, audience management and effect construction on his offerings. This looks to be no exception.
NUMBERED - A killer predicted card at any number out now! http://cameronfrancismagic.com/numbered.html
barts185
View Profile
Inner circle
1346 Posts

Profile of barts185
Quote:
On 2013-11-16 17:20, Cameron Francis wrote:
When I was getting back into magic after a looong hiatus, Richard was a huge influence on me. I'm not a mentalist but Richard's material and advice on performing transcends the rubrics of "mentalism" or "magic". There is much to be learned about routining, audience management and effect construction on his offerings. This looks to be no exception.

:thumbsup: Smile Smile Smile

Cameron put it so well. In addition to "just tricks", of which there are always plenty, when I view Richard's DVDs, I feel that I learn so much that is applicable to ANY performance.
ash2arani
View Profile
Special user
914 Posts

Profile of ash2arani
Thank you very much Richard for your response and like I said, it is always a great experience seeing a professional perform and then share insights that transcend the written word.

I am sure this is will be great like your other releases. And I re-iterate, the material from Six Shooter is killer already. Theses DVD's are a bargain for the price and the amount of content (tricks and beyond tricks) they contain.

Congratulations Richard. Smile
Zombie Magic
View Profile
Inner circle
I went out for a beer and now have
8737 Posts

Profile of Zombie Magic
At Richard's Penguin Live lecture tonight ( THE finest lecture you could imagine ) he was still doing the Q & A ( good stuff here ) and he asked "can I do one more?" It was performance only.

It was "Hands Off " from the Sapphire DVD collection. Myself and the entire studio audience went nuts.

HANDS OFF – A stunning card effect that has baffled every person who has seen it! A card is freely selected from a deck and placed into the middle. You name where it is and what the name of the card is from across the room. You never touch the deck!
————————————————————————————

At the Penguin lecture, Richard gave an audience member a deck and had him cut it as much as he wanted. With Richard's back turned, the fellow looked at the top card and put it face down in the middle of the deck and squared the deck.

Richard turned around and said "your card is the 25th card down". The fellow then dealt the cards face up onto the table and stopped at 24. Richard named the card and when he turned over the 25th card, it was the chosen card.
sbays
View Profile
Inner circle
Burbank, CA
1045 Posts

Profile of sbays
I WILL own every DVD set Richard puts out, regardless if its covered elsewhere in a book or what have you. I would buy his DVD's if they were performance only. Just watching Richard is a master class in Mentalism and showmanship.
"Opportunity may only knock once, but temptation leans on the doorbell."
Jeff Wassom
View Profile
Elite user
491 Posts

Profile of Jeff Wassom
Guess I'm going to have to go for BOTH the lecture and Sapphire collection. =)
max88
View Profile
Loyal user
280 Posts

Profile of max88
Any info when this will be available?
lucavolpe
View Profile
Inner circle
Italy - London
3114 Posts

Profile of lucavolpe
I have performed for years a LOT of Richard material, are all solid routines for working performers and this set will be in my collection too! Look forward to it!
Jim Sisti
View Profile
V.I.P.
Connecticut
457 Posts

Profile of Jim Sisti
Quote:
On 2013-11-22 10:41, max88 wrote:

The DVDs are at the duplicator now and we're expecting word from them any day that they're on their way back to us. Once they arrive, our pre-sale special (we're including a free gift copy of Richard's newly updated The Very Modern Mindreader - 10th Anniversary Edition book with every pre-ordered copy of The Sapphire Collection) will be over.

The short answer to your question is very, very soon!
max88
View Profile
Loyal user
280 Posts

Profile of max88
Quote:
On 2013-11-22 14:59, Jim Sisti wrote:
Quote:
On 2013-11-22 10:41, max88 wrote:

The DVDs are at the duplicator now and we're expecting word from them any day that they're on their way back to us. Once they arrive, our pre-sale special (we're including a free gift copy of Richard's newly updated The Very Modern Mindreader - 10th Anniversary Edition book with every pre-ordered copy of The Sapphire Collection) will be over.

The short answer to your question is very, very soon!

That is great news!!

I fooled badly by Richard again in his latest lecture last Sunday for the penny bending.
Any idea when it will be released? Or we need to wait another 10 years?
seamagu
View Profile
Special user
859 Posts

Profile of seamagu
Is the Preorder offer still available?

Thanks,

Sea
I love post its Smile
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » The Sapphire Collection, a new 2-DVD set from Osterlind Mysteries (1 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2~3~4 [Next]
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.2 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL