The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » The Sapphire Collection, a new 2-DVD set from Osterlind Mysteries (1 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4 [Next]
Jim Sisti
View Profile
V.I.P.
Connecticut
457 Posts

Profile of Jim Sisti
Quote:
On 2013-11-24 15:20, seamagu wrote:
Is the Preorder offer still available?

It currently is, yes. Every pre-order will receive a copy of The Very Modern Mindreader - 10th Anniversary Edition - a $25.00 value - as our gift. This offer will continue until we receive word that the DVDs are on their way back to us from the duplication facility, which we expect to get some time this week. At that time, the offer will end.

Thanks for your interest!
seamagu
View Profile
Special user
859 Posts

Profile of seamagu
Thanks jim
I love post its Smile
Iain Moran
View Profile
Special user
Manchester, England
684 Posts

Profile of Iain Moran
Will these be coming to the UK anytime soon, Jim?

Iain.
Steven Conner
View Profile
Inner circle
2468 Posts

Profile of Steven Conner
Hey Richard, give is penny bend.
"The New York Papers," Mark Twain once said,"have long known that no large question is ever really settled until I have been consulted; it is the way they feel about it, and they show it by always sending to me when they get uneasy. "
Magicmike221
View Profile
Special user
Manchester UK
608 Posts

Profile of Magicmike221
Really looking forward to these.
Stunninger
View Profile
Inner circle
1733 Posts

Profile of Stunninger
Since I already own most of Richard's DVDs, I will have to get this one too. Richard's DVDs combined are perhaps the most complete video education on mentalism available anywhere. Some say books are better. I see their point, and value this perspective. But there is real value in seeing an effect properly demonstrated by a master. Then fully explained, with all of the little tips that Richard has learned and added over the years that enhance the illusion.

BTW, is Jannelle in the audience on The Sapphire Collection?

Perhaps one day Richard will do a DVD just with her...'The Magic of Janelle' Smile
Zombie Magic
View Profile
Inner circle
I went out for a beer and now have
8737 Posts

Profile of Zombie Magic
Penguin says these ship Dec 3rd:

http://www.penguinmagic.com/p/3870

scalito
View Profile
Regular user
124 Posts

Profile of scalito
Has anyone received this yet? I pre-ordered from Richard and didn't know if they were sent out yet.

Scalito
Bill Brunelle
View Profile
Regular user
192 Posts

Profile of Bill Brunelle
People are starting to get them now. Since the duplication facility is down the road from Penguin on the West Coast, they got theirs before Richard and Jim got theirs on the East Coast. But Jim and Richard have sent theirs out now, along with their gift of The Very Modern Mindreader book (the brand new $25 10th Anniversary edition) for those who got in on the pre-order special.

People are starting to get them now. I heard from a friend who was up late watching his last night. He LOVED it. Mine will be coming any day, so I can't comment on the final production yet, but I was their for the filming of the performances, and there's some really killer stuff on there.
Magic from A to Z
View Profile
Elite user
Sweet Home Alabama
414 Posts

Profile of Magic from A to Z
I've noticed that 2 sets have already sold on The Café, Can anyone contribute a review of the set?

Thanks,,,
Jim Sisti
View Profile
V.I.P.
Connecticut
457 Posts

Profile of Jim Sisti
Quote:
On 2013-12-07 21:52, Magic from A to Z wrote:
I've noticed that 2 sets have already sold on The Café, Can anyone contribute a review of the set?

Thanks,,,

Secret collectors, no doubt, who are continually disappointed that the effects don't jump off the DVD and perform themselves. Since the DVDs only shipped this week, there's absolutely no way anyone could fairly evaluate this material. None of it is difficult, but is, by no means, self-working.

I would advise you to wait for a review from someone who has actually watched the DVDs and then tested the material for an audience (other than the other kids in the neighborhood Smile).
Greg Arce
View Profile
Inner circle
6244 Posts

Profile of Greg Arce
I agree with what Jim has said above, but I believe there are two other answers: Magic/idea collectors and low-end magic suppliers.

By magic/idea collectors I mean those that buy any new DVDs and/or effect, look at, think they now know it, then sell it. It's actually worse with DVDs because some just instantly make a copy then sell it. They have a room full of stuff that they've barely looked at. And they'll buy the next new thing hoping that's the one that gets them a TV special.

Second one is the low-level dealers: They've gotten themselves into the system by getting a dealer's license of sorts then buy stuff at dealer prices and try to sell them for a little profit. These are just guys trying to run a small business.

So I'm never surprised when new stuff comes out, especially DVDs, and are put for sale within a day. I instantly imagine the person has made a copy for themselves and is trying to make some money back for his next purchase of the ever elusive magic bullet.

Just my opinion.

Greg
One of my favorite quotes: "A critic is a legless man who teaches running."
Tony Iacoviello
View Profile
Eternal Order
13150 Posts

Profile of Tony Iacoviello
I need to watch them several times more before I can make any substantial comments.

But upon just one viewing of the set, I can say I am thrilled with my purchase.

There are pieces that will appeal to most everyone. I see Hands Off being added to many repertoires (it is killer for close up, parlor, or even stage) and that is just the first routine on the first DVD. Personally, I really enjoyed the conversations.

All of the material is very good, if not fantastic. Even pieces that were previously released have evolved. This s highly recommended.

Tony Iacoviello
smacks183
View Profile
Loyal user
247 Posts

Profile of smacks183
I am one of the so-called magic collectors, that listed the set for sale on the Café. I am not disputing that "magic collectors" and those that engage in copyright infringement do exist. In this particular case, that isn't close to the truth. I will explain why I listed the DVD set for sale (the Café actually has an entire section specifically dedicated to the sale of dvds). I am a hobbyist that really only performs card magic/mentalism, so I spent much of this weekend learning the card effects (which, by the way, are fantastic). I also watched the entire set as there is an amazing amount of useful information (even for a casual performer like myself). In fact, I will probably watch most, if not all, of the set again before I mail it out this week. Normally I don't get involved in these discussions, but it bothers me when people assume that I have engaged is some illegal or unethical behavior. I do appreciate that Jim specifically inquired about my decision to sell the DVD set at this time. I wish I could keep every magic purchase I make, but, unfortunately, my financial situation does not allow that. If anyone has any specific questions about the set, please feel free to ask. Overall, I thought it was fantastic.
Xiqual
View Profile
Inner circle
Upper left quadrant
4932 Posts

Profile of Xiqual
You don't need to explain anything. You bought them, now you want to sell them. Don't be bullied by the magic police. Jim Sisti and Greg Arce BOTH sell items here and in the SME board on Facebook.
James

Quote:
On 2013-12-08 18:43, smacks183 wrote:
I am one of the so-called magic collectors, that listed the set for sale on the Café. I am not disputing that "magic collectors" and those that engage in copyright infringement do exist. In this particular case, that isn't close to the truth. I will explain why I listed the DVD set for sale (the Café actually has an entire section specifically dedicated to the sale of dvds). I am a hobbyist that really only performs card magic/mentalism, so I spent much of this weekend learning the card effects (which, by the way, are fantastic). I also watched the entire set as there is an amazing amount of useful information (even for a casual performer like myself). In fact, I will probably watch most, if not all, of the set again before I mail it out this week. Normally I don't get involved in these discussions, but it bothers me when people assume that I have engaged is some illegal or unethical behavior. I do appreciate that Jim specifically inquired about my decision to sell the DVD set at this time. I wish I could keep every magic purchase I make, but, unfortunately, my financial situation does not allow that. If anyone has any specific questions about the set, please feel free to ask. Overall, I thought it was fantastic.
Still with the Chinese circus Smile
smacks183
View Profile
Loyal user
247 Posts

Profile of smacks183
Thanks a lot, James. Again, if anyone has any questions, let me know. It is a great set.
Xiqual
View Profile
Inner circle
Upper left quadrant
4932 Posts

Profile of Xiqual
Got a PM from Jim Sisti telling me it's not my concern what's happening in this thread. HA! I know I am not a part of your secret Cabal Jim.
BTW, I don't WANT to be part of it. Insinuating that people are people are pirating your material is at the very least rude and possibly libelous.
So, Mr. Sisti, no PM's OK? I think you are rude person, always have. If you have an opinion post here. Oh and just like your rude PM stated
"Got it now?"
James
Still with the Chinese circus Smile
Exitmat
View Profile
Special user
642 Posts

Profile of Exitmat
Can't wait to see this set. Always love Osterlind's material.
smacks183
View Profile
Loyal user
247 Posts

Profile of smacks183
Quote:
On 2013-12-08 20:57, Xiqual wrote:
Got a PM from Jim Sisti telling me it's not my concern what's happening in this thread. HA! I know I am not a part of your secret Cabal Jim.
BTW, I don't WANT to be part of it. Insinuating that people are people are pirating your material is at the very least rude and possibly libelous.
So, Mr. Sisti, no PM's OK? I think you are rude person, always have. If you have an opinion post here. Oh and just like your rude PM stated
"Got it now?"
James

I, for one, am glad you got involved. Thanks again. I don't know anyone well enough to think if he or she is rude, but I did not appreciate feeling like I had done something wrong by selling a DVD set. Anyway, to get the thread back on track, I think casual performers and professionals will find several effects that they will want to add to their performance material. Highlights for me were hands off and mind reading with cards. Check effect is quite clever as well.
robvh
View Profile
Elite user
Calgary, AB
445 Posts

Profile of robvh
It's probably best not to assume anything about another person's motivations without asking them first. There are a hundred different reasons why someone might turn around and sell an item they only recently purchased. Some of those reasons are bad (e.g. they copied the material and sold it on) while others are completely innocuous (e.g. the material didn't suit them, they just lost their job, their car/cat/spouse just died).

I wouldn't be so quick to attack idea collectors. If they're copying the DVDs and then selling them, that's unethical and illegal. I won't defend that. However, if they're buying items, going through them, and then selling them on, it's really hard to say what kind of impact that has on sales.

If they watch a DVD and give it a positive review, it may encourage more sales. That's good for the creators.
If they watch a DVD and then sell it at a discounted price, that doesn't necessarily remove a buyer. That second party may never have paid full retail. In this case, a sale was made that otherwise would not have occurred. All thanks to the "idea collector".

All I'm saying is that we should probably relax and not be so quick to judge anyone. None of us know nearly as much as we think we do.

Cheers,
Rob VH
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » The Sapphire Collection, a new 2-DVD set from Osterlind Mysteries (1 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4 [Next]
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.14 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL