The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Nothing up my sleeve... » » "Smart Coin trick" Bobo (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Almost-A-Magician
View Profile
Regular user
New England
158 Posts

Profile of Almost-A-Magician
Curious if anyone uses the "Smart Coin Trick" vanish (Bobo) in their coin work? Have been practicing it and it is a very stunning complete vanish if altered to sl**v* instead of the suggested reappearance. Weaknesses are angles, and that it is not the most natural way take a coin from one hand to the other. Still..I love the look of it and curious if anyone has worked it into their routines? Any tips? Thanks (it is on p. 83 of Bobo)
bigchuck
View Profile
Veteran user
Nothing clever has ever been said in my
400 Posts

Profile of bigchuck
You should take a look at Steve Draun's take on this,
http://www.stevedraun.com/about.htm
he calls it a perfect vanish I believe. Smile
"The computer can't tell you the emotional story. It can give you the exact
mathematical design, but what's missing is the eyebrows. - Frank Zappa"
tedski
View Profile
Special user
New Jersey
792 Posts

Profile of tedski
Also check out Sankey's revolutionary coin magic - his version is called the messiah vanish. In this context it is a quick trick; I have incorporated it into a flurry like routine on occasion.

Have Fun!
Bill Citino
View Profile
Special user
Doylestown, PA
837 Posts

Profile of Bill Citino
I just started practicing this vanish the other day and let me tell ya it's a great move. A very nice and clean vanish and reproduction sequence. Anyway just wanted to throw in my two cents. Everybody have a good holiday.

-Bill
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27300 Posts

Profile of Jonathan Townsend
Bob Fitch and I discussed some variations on this LONG ago. I found the angles a bit less than forgiving when performing for people standing by the coffee machine at work. The basic idea of putting things in places where they can be gotten to later is quite good. This is the sort of thing that calls for a creative person and also a machinist ... Calling JIM RISER!!!
...to all the coins I've dropped here
silverfire9
View Profile
Veteran user
Rochester Hills, MI
323 Posts

Profile of silverfire9
I located it in my Bobo book and it sounds interesting, but I found it difficult to do. As a previous poster mentioned, it's not the most natural way to transfer a coin to the opposite hand, and I can't seem to complete the vanish without a *huge* telltale movement. I realize that if I practice at it long enough, I'll get it down, but I'm not sure it's really worth the practice, as it is somewhat angle-sensitive and unnatural-seeming (to me, at least).
Almost-A-Magician
View Profile
Regular user
New England
158 Posts

Profile of Almost-A-Magician
I have been practicing it by balancing the coin on the tip of my finger fully extended, and taking it with the other hend. not natural, but appears imposible that you could do anything sneaky with the coin from that position. With my sleeves pulled back about 2-3" from my hands, and then letting the coin slide down my wrist as I raise my hands to show both sides empty...complete vanish. Trying to work in as a final vanish for a routine TBD. the few people I have shown it to, have great reactions! But, yes...they need to be in front of you. I love this vanish!
dogwood86
View Profile
Regular user
Vancouver
124 Posts

Profile of dogwood86
Jim Pace uses this in his routine 'Punishment'. its a three coin effect, so its not a all around vanish of one, but its very nice, though his method is slightly different.After looking at steve draun's, I think I'll try his.
Magix
View Profile
Elite user
432 Posts

Profile of Magix
Quote:
On 2003-12-25 03:05, silverfire9 wrote:
... and I can't seem to complete the vanish without a *huge* telltale movement.

Here's what works for me to avoid the telltale movement. I hold the coin between the pad of my thumb and the very tips of my first and second fingers. I then simply slide it into position, and if I watch my angles, it looks like I'm just pushing it into my left fist.

Try it. Maybe it will work for you.
cperkins
View Profile
Special user
700 Posts

Profile of cperkins
Would the first part of the torres move be just as effective to get the coin onto the left hand..not quite as strong as a "put" perhaps but much more natural ...???
To see a difficult thing lightly handled gives the impression of the impossible.
(Goethe)
Larry Davidson
View Profile
Inner circle
Boynton Beach, FL
5270 Posts

Profile of Larry Davidson
Shoot Ogawa has an interesting one-handed version of this. Like the other versions of this move, though, it's angly. If you want a "complete" vanish of a coin that's not as angly, why not sleeve, use a toppit, or use a holdout instead?
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Nothing up my sleeve... » » "Smart Coin trick" Bobo (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL