The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Problem with seance marketing (to real) (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Lord of Illusion
View Profile
Veteran user
Has his enemies stuck on
310 Posts

Profile of Lord of Illusion
I know this is the Mentalism forum, but I tend to read here too. The problem I have could use your input to. Have you had the issue of people thinking what you do is absolutely real and suffered ticket sales because of it? I know "mental powers" has a different vibe than seances, but I wanted your words of advise.

According to some of the feedback I have received, a lot of people think that Manifestations - A Seance Experiment, the seance that I'm going to be doing, is the real deal and not a theatrical performance. That is what is apparently accounting for the lower than expected sales. My question is should I change OR how should I change my marketing. I have been desperately avoiding using the word "theater" to keep the fire marshal from coming in and shutting it down because the space does not qualify as a theater (no sprinklers 2 bathrooms 2 exits are the theater requirements and not something I can modify). Or should I go with it and hope it builds up and see how it goes. I've thought about using "Seance Fiction" but want your 2 cents worth.

FOr reference you can go look at my webpage and let me know your thoughts. http://arcanastore.com/
Edward Wolfgang Poe,

The Necromancer of the South
Scott Burton
View Profile
Inner circle
1131 Posts

Profile of Scott Burton
Historical re-enactment. Re-creating the mystery and suspense of a classical seance. Suspend your dis-belief for a fun spooky evening where ghosts may interact with the participants and you may even be convinced that they are real...but are they?
mindpunisher
View Profile
Inner circle
6132 Posts

Profile of mindpunisher
Use the word "theatrical" it doesn't mean you do it in a theater?
Years ago I tried this and even although I told people it was theater many wouldn't come in case it disturbed real "negative energies". And these were skeptical non believing non religious people. They were genuinely afraid and said it "wasn't right".

Many refused to come.
MentalistCreationLab
View Profile
Inner circle
1528 Posts

Profile of MentalistCreationLab
Edward,

The first thing that I noticed on your site that may be part of your issue and that is your located in the Bible Belt. In these areas of the nation the sitters are more often to see this sort of thing as more real than they would in other parts of the US such as New York or California for example and therefor be a bit more reluctant to participate in this style of entertainment. This is primarily a matter of the core fundamental belief system of those in attendance. Also, your image (as shown on the site) may be a bit too dark for those in your area.(which will only apply to your local geographic location). While this is not a bad thing. Certain problems will arise such as the issue your now experiencing.In addition, to this issue there will be more issues that you will need to work around. You can get around these issues without changing your image. However, you may want to look back at the basics and reexamine your choice of location and the time in which the performance is held. The other thing is since your audience will be smaller in this type of area you may wish to cater to a more select crowd of sitters. I know for a fact in your area and in the neighboring states the sitters your looking for for the show exist. The main problem will be reaching out to them and getting them to the venue.

These are just a few thought and things you may want to consider. I know for experience that if you dial down the darker side of your public image you will open your self up to a larger audience.
Dr Spektor
View Profile
Eternal Order
Carcanis
10781 Posts

Profile of Dr Spektor
ELECTROMAGNETIC HYPERDIMENSIONAL ENTITY COMMUNICATION!

No ghosts or demons! Just alien chaos forces from nth space ready to tell you the future and the past based on their adjacency to our space time continuum! No ***ation! Just science! Yay!
"They are lean and athirst!!!!"
Christopher Taylor
View Profile
V.I.P.
British Columbia Canada
2315 Posts

Profile of Christopher Taylor
My own disclaimer for my "spook show" is, "The theatrical demonstrations in this program are not intended to foster belief in the supernatural." I found it on the Café some years ago but can't find it now.

All the best,

Christopher
Christopher Taylor

Member P.E.A.

www.taylorimagineering.com

MAKING MENTALISM MORE IMPOSSIBLE
barneyfife
View Profile
Veteran user
326 Posts

Profile of barneyfife
Always in motion is the future
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Problem with seance marketing (to real) (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL