The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Mentally Speaking » » The Artful Mentalism of Bob Cassidy Volume 2: Fundamentals (3 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4 [Next]
ko_brian
View Profile
Veteran user
340 Posts

Profile of ko_brian
Quote:
On 2013-11-23 20:07, mastermindreader wrote:
Thanks, David. I really appreciate the kind words. I think that if I was asked to recommend any single one of my books, this would be the one.

Good thoughts,

Bob

Ordering this one for sure.
Rodney Palmer
View Profile
Inner circle
1315 Posts

Profile of Rodney Palmer
Just Ordered my Copy!!!!!

Rod
"Creating Memories That Last A Lifetime"

In order to keep "MAGIC ALIVE" Please become a Mentor to a Young Person.
lucavolpe
View Profile
Inner circle
Italy - London
3043 Posts

Profile of lucavolpe
This is absolutely a fantastic book, I am not new to Bob Cassidy ideas, but the beauty of this book, is that more you read and more you find something interesting, and honestly there is so much "inspirational" material that the book is alreayd full of post it notes!!
mastermindreader
View Profile
V.I.P.
Seattle, WA
12590 Posts

Profile of mastermindreader
Thanks, Luca. Glad you're finding some useful ideas in it.

Best-

Bob
Rodney Palmer
View Profile
Inner circle
1315 Posts

Profile of Rodney Palmer
I received my Book today (Friday). I cannot wait until I have the time to sit down and read this BOOK from a True Master.

Rodney

David Thiel
View Profile
Inner circle
Western Canada...where all that oil is
3747 Posts

Profile of David Thiel
When I get to a show early (which is ALL the time...since I am just a wee bit compulsive about not rushing) there's a book on the seat beside me. It's a heavy book. And, once I've triple checked everything and have a few minutes to relax, I open this book and read.

I'm on my third read-through now. This time, I'm going slowly, giving the material time, study and consideration.

Let me go out on a limb and say this: "Fundamentals" is the single best book EVER on the subject of mentalism. I mean it. The blending of brilliant-will-work-in-the-real-world routines and insightful thoughts and advice on how mentalism is to be performed makes it an instant classic.

I wish it had been given a different title because "2" suggests "sequel" or the whole notion that you should read Number 1 first. And, while the first book "The Artful Mentalism of Bob Cassidy" is a widely accepted classic -- "2" eclipses it.

If you don't have this book yet -- if you've been putting off the decision to purchase it -- can I respectfully suggest that you don't delay another second. This isn't just a book. It's a resource, it's a pile of powerful routines it's state of the art thinking from a guy who proves his expertise here every day. It's an investment in getting better at everything you do.

Take it with you on the road...let it keep company with you in those beige hotel rooms. It doesn't matter where you are in your development as a performer, there's great material in here that will make you better.

Fundamentals is a treasure. It's a gift to the community.

Thanks, Bob. You rock.

David
Whatever doesn't kill you makes you stronger. Except bears. Bears will kill you.

www.MindGemsBrainTrust.com
www.magicpendulums.com
www.MidnightMagicAndMentalism.com
Bill Cushman
View Profile
Inner circle
Florida
2819 Posts

Profile of Bill Cushman
You're killing me David! I may have to sell a couple things to justify ONE more purchase this year, lol.
Rodney Palmer
View Profile
Inner circle
1315 Posts

Profile of Rodney Palmer
OK Bill, time to pony up the dough for this book. The BEST Book Bob has written to date.

Rodney

CL
View Profile
New user
New York, NY
73 Posts

Profile of CL
My order is placed. Thanks for all the thoughts on this.
cirrus
View Profile
Inner circle
his minions made
1752 Posts

Profile of cirrus
I have my copy now and am only on page 34 and have had several aha moments already. Sometimes I have them from a single line, sometimes a paragraph is thought-provoking. This is a MUST HAVE book for beginners and for mentalists who want to progress further in the art.

I apologise to Mr. Cassidy for my previous post about this book and not recognising his genius earlier during our discussions of the diary trick.

I was not s experienced with his written work as I am going to become but somebody who can make you think about your work is a true master not just a salesman of principles.
David Thiel
View Profile
Inner circle
Western Canada...where all that oil is
3747 Posts

Profile of David Thiel
That's really what it's about...what a good book should accomplish. The author should make you THINK about your own routine...your own presentation...make you challenge and reexamine many of the things you have held as true.

"Aha" moments are what it's all about. As you said, cirrus...'Fundamentals' is full of them.

So many new books feature routine after routine. I understand this, because that's what people seem to be interested in buying. But a discussion about WHY certain decisions are made and HOW a single nuance might transform a good effect into a great one is far more valuable to me, personally.

I learn by studying what someone more experienced than myself puts before me. That's what makes this book truly spectacular. You get classic routines like 4DT, a fascinating take on Q and A and so much more...but more importantly you get the thinking that goes into their design. That's where the real gold is hidden.

Don't even consider "Staging It" and "Working It" -- both of which deal with the often ignored aspects of actually performing a mentalism show...the unique things that have to be considered.

I cannot imagine why this book isn't in every working mentalist's hands.

David
Whatever doesn't kill you makes you stronger. Except bears. Bears will kill you.

www.MindGemsBrainTrust.com
www.magicpendulums.com
www.MidnightMagicAndMentalism.com
cirrus
View Profile
Inner circle
his minions made
1752 Posts

Profile of cirrus
To me this book is in the top 3 of mentalism and is a must read for everyone that dares to call himself a mentalist. These aren`t bold statements. To me next to how it is done, why it is done is equally important. My magic improved once I read the classics of magic theory. I`m only just more then half a year studying mentalism and from the 9 books I have bought about mentalism, this one is the best because it teaches me why.
mastermindreader
View Profile
V.I.P.
Seattle, WA
12590 Posts

Now I'm going to have to read the whole thing again just to see what I wrote!

Thanks for the nice comments. Makes me feel like it was worth writing.

Best-

Bob
twistedace
View Profile
Inner circle
philadelphia
3772 Posts

Profile of twistedace
I just received a very nice Christmas gift from my third grade class. I'll be using part of that gift to pick up this book. Merry Christmas to me!
Heywood
View Profile
New user
32 Posts

Profile of Heywood
Quote:
On 2013-12-18 20:31, mastermindreader wrote:
Thanks for the nice comments. Makes me feel like it was worth writing.

You have never put pen to paper and been anything but worthy! Everyone should read your work more than once. There is much to be missed.
twistedace
View Profile
Inner circle
philadelphia
3772 Posts

Profile of twistedace
As I anxiously await the arrival of this book, besides the essays and Bob's thinking, what are some of your favorite routines from this book?
cirrus
View Profile
Inner circle
his minions made
1752 Posts

Profile of cirrus
4dt is a classic.

Although Bob`s thinking will make you put the book more then once, because he will give you a lot of info.
George Hunter
View Profile
Inner circle
1618 Posts

Profile of George Hunter
I have read enough of this fine volume to appreciate Bob (and Jheff) even more than before. But, having said that, the book could have been even more useful to its readers.

My problem is with the print publication of what were formerly ebooks. The standard for ebooks is simply lower than for books by good publishers, which can show rather unmercifully when ebooks find their way into print without update or revision. Three examples, all from the "Thirty-Nine Steps" of the Fundamentals chapter, will show what I mean.

1. Page 111 initially says that the title of T. A. Waters' text is Man, Myth, and Magic.

2. On p. 101, the recommendation of Maven/Goldstein's Color Series regrets that the four books are now "hard to find." The reader would have been even better served with the updated information that all of the books are now available in Maven's Prism.

3. I marveled that the 39 most recommended books has not changed at all since the ebook came out a decade or so ago. I take Bob at his word that these are the books that most shaped Bob's thinking but, if the goal is a top 39 most recommended books, has NOTHING been published in more recent years that would replace ANY of the books on the original list?

If this is mere quibbling, I apologize.

George
mastermindreader
View Profile
V.I.P.
Seattle, WA
12590 Posts

Don't know how "Man" instead of "Mind" got into the title of Water's book. It is correct in the rest of the section, though.

The book took at least a few months of correcting and editing. Sorry a few errors slipped through.

As far as updating the 39 Steps goes, it will happen eventually, but I believe the list is still valid. (And I hesitate to include more recent works for fear of offending authors whose works I don't include.)

It does, however, show the works that I still consider to be essential.

Good thoughts,

Bob
George Hunter
View Profile
Inner circle
1618 Posts

Profile of George Hunter
Bob:

No Problem. The error-free published book is almost a fiction.

George
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Mentally Speaking » » The Artful Mentalism of Bob Cassidy Volume 2: Fundamentals (3 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.17 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL