The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Mentally Speaking » » Under Your Own Steam by Stephen Young (1 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

NeilS
View Profile
Inner circle
2384 Posts

Profile of NeilS
Since the Steam effect was released a few years ago there have been several variations and improvements. Stephen Young has now introduced another and, to my mind, takes the effect to a new level. This time, all that is required is a small innocuous pad and a pen. There is no reversal of the image, so making this perfect for words, numbers as well as drawings. As well as being so natural looking – and it is an ordinary pad that is used (plus a bit more) – the effect virtually takes care of itself.

Admittedly there is a bit of preparation involved but once done, you will be set up for a long time.

The instructions supplied are crystal clear and with photos included. Also, as Under Your Own Steam is for users of Steam, the principle behind the actual Steam effect is NOT given. For those who do not know or have the Steam effect, Steve supplies links to Ali Nouari’s effect and Peter Nardini’s The Ghost.

In recent times Docc Hilford and Paul Carnazzo have put out some brilliant effects you make yourself. Under Your Own Steam definitely falls within this category and for those who like and use the Steam effect or are looking for a more natural way of performing it, this inexpensive release is a must read.

Highly recommended.

http://www.thoughtillusions.com/underyourownsteam.html
Mark_Chandaue
View Profile
Inner circle
Essex UK
3605 Posts

Profile of Mark_Chandaue
Just picked this up and it is one of those things that is so simple and obvious (not to the spectator) that I'm surprised nobody has come up with it before. I love the steam principle but rarely use it these days because of the reset time. This I will use. It does negate some of the benefits of the steam principle, but on the other hand it also negates some of the disadvantages of a more traditional imp pad. No special pen required, instant reset, in fact you could use it twice in a row before you even get the p**k. The reset is pretty much instant and it takes minutes to make. I would say it is probably the cheapest little imp on the market. For practically pennies you can make a lifetimes supply.

Mark
Mark Chandaue A.I.M.C.
Harpacrown is available from
http://www.harpacrown.co.uk
Ophiuchus is available from
http://www.harpacrown.co.uk/?product=ophiuchus
Totally Free Will is available from
http://www.harpacrown.co.uk/?product=totally-free-will
lucavolpe
View Profile
Inner circle
Italy - London
3115 Posts

Profile of lucavolpe
Really nice idea, just tried today and works great!
Thanks Steve Smile
Stephen Young
View Profile
Inner circle
Thought Illusions
3934 Posts

Profile of Stephen Young
Thanks Luca and Mark

I'm getting a lot of nice feedback about this.

Steve
saysold1
View Profile
Eternal Order
Recovering Cafe addict with only
10618 Posts

Profile of saysold1
Just ordered!

Love your ideas Steve + like many of you I love STEAM but don't use it to often because of the one time nature of it. Can't wait to see what you have thought of.
Creator of The SvenPad Supreme(R) line of premium, made in the USA utility props. https://svenpads.com/
Stephen Young
View Profile
Inner circle
Thought Illusions
3934 Posts

Profile of Stephen Young
What I have come up with is a solution to the one-time aspect.
Now you can be set-up for instant repeats the whole night long.

Steve
saysold1
View Profile
Eternal Order
Recovering Cafe addict with only
10618 Posts

Profile of saysold1
As a longtime STEAM user and fiddler, I must say that I was extremely impressed with Steve's thinking on this PDF. Really clever and really smart - we all needed this type of advancement and frankly I'm surprised no one suggested this earlier. Kudos!

I will try to make this up soon - seems like it should be fairly easy.

Great job Steve.
Creator of The SvenPad Supreme(R) line of premium, made in the USA utility props. https://svenpads.com/
PhilDean
View Profile
Elite user
445 Posts

Profile of PhilDean
I have a feeling that I have already thought of this but at 5 biscuits, who cares? I'll bite when I get back to my home PC in a few days. Well done Steve.
Stephen Young
View Profile
Inner circle
Thought Illusions
3934 Posts

Profile of Stephen Young
5 biscuits, I like that Phil Smile

This is probably one of those "why didn't I think of that" type of ideas.
But the PDF also contains IMHO, a great reasoning for having the spec write something down.
Plus a few other subtleties

worth 5 biscuits I would say.
Maybe 4 if they've got chocolate chips in.

steve
PhilDean
View Profile
Elite user
445 Posts

Profile of PhilDean
Picking this up tonight. It totally slipped my mind. Also picking up some chocolate chip biscuits. Mmmmmm... Smile
Stephen Young
View Profile
Inner circle
Thought Illusions
3934 Posts

Profile of Stephen Young
I tried adding some biscuits to the email but they kept jamming up my CD drive.

Sorry mate.
Well it's the thought that counts. eh??

Steve
magicinsight
View Profile
Inner circle
3730 Posts

Profile of magicinsight
Just ordered based upon Neil S.'s high recommendation and that Stephen Young has well thought out and practical effects. I look forward to reading the pdf.

Michael
“Belief matters more than truth. Every moment, belief in imaginary things alters lives while truth sits unnoticed and waits.”
—Hakim, Loreweaver
Stephen Young
View Profile
Inner circle
Thought Illusions
3934 Posts

Profile of Stephen Young
Thank you for the kind words, magicinsight.
And for the recommendation, Neil

steve
NeilS
View Profile
Inner circle
2384 Posts

Profile of NeilS
I know I started this thread many moons ago but, with the renewed interest in Steam, I have just revisited Steve's release. I had forgotten how solid and practical this is. It is a shame how such gems can drop off the radar but if interested in the Steam principle or maybe considering Steam 2, it could be worth taking a look at this. And it doesn't cost much either!

Neil
Stephen Young
View Profile
Inner circle
Thought Illusions
3934 Posts

Profile of Stephen Young
The new Steam 2 has seen a re-awakened interest in Under Your Own Steam
It is not necessary to own Steam 2 to be able to use UYOS
However........ I do not reveal the Steam method (it's not mine to share)
But for those who know how Steam works I supply a way to get a whole night's work out of it
in a simple innocent way, with a one time set-up per evening.

http://www.thoughtillusions.com/underyourownsteam.html

Steve
DrRob
View Profile
Special user
Middle Chinnock
917 Posts

Profile of DrRob
Steve tipped the Wink about his Under your own steam ebook a few weeks ago when we were discussing the release of Steam 2.0 and I can only echo what other purchasers have said it's a cheap add on to ways to perform a steam effect and can whole heartedly recommend it.

Rob
Last Laugh
View Profile
Inner circle
Grass Valley, California
3494 Posts

Profile of Last Laugh
I agree that this is a cool idea for the principle, it's a nice way to incorporate it into a pad.

I am slightly divided though - one of the best things IMO about the principle is being able to have the spectator write on any surface -- that's what differentiates it from an i** pad. Since this entails using a pad, I'm not sure I don't then prefer the parapad. They both have pen requirements, they both need to have the spectator to leave the paper on the pad while they're writing.

On the other hand, it's small, convenient, obviously well thought out and will definitely be reliable.
No doubt this is a totally workable idea and for 10 euros it's a bargain. It's at least as reliable as a parapad (very) and is way cheaper to make up.
I think the idea of preloading a pad is a good one, but I think I'll probably stick to just dropping the pad on top of a face down business card.
My Mentalism Podcast:
The Mystery Arts Podcast

Check out my products!

Direct from me (PW: cassidy)

On Penguin Magic
bofx
View Profile
Elite user
France
497 Posts

Profile of bofx
I fully agree with Last Laugh's review.
The idea to apply the Steam gimmick into a pad is very good, however you lose the major asset of Steam to get closer to a classic i** pad.
And since it have material restrictions, I also tend to prefer the Parapad for the invariable i** quality.
Just my 2 cents.
My mentalism books: Mental Sweets 1 - Mental Sweets 2
Stephen Young
View Profile
Inner circle
Thought Illusions
3934 Posts

Profile of Stephen Young
Fully accept the two statements above.

We all must find what works best for us.

For me this application of the Steam principle makes things simple by having everything in one compact unit.
I have and use a Parapad and my idea does nothing that the Parapad can't do.
It just does it differently.

Thanks for trying out UYOS, and for the feedback
Much appreciated. Without feedback we learn nothing.

Steve
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Mentally Speaking » » Under Your Own Steam by Stephen Young (1 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.12 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL