The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The little darlings » » The Best Effects for Kids 5 and Under (8 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
Peter Cuddihy
View Profile
Veteran user
Peter S. Cuddihy
346 Posts

Profile of Peter Cuddihy
What do you think are the best effects for kids 5 and under?

A few that come to mind that I like a lot and that get a good response are as follows:

The Coloring Book
Run Rabbit Run
The Wilting Flower
The Blooming Bouquet
Hippity Hop Rabbits
Fraidy Cat Rabbit
The Monkey Bar
The Silver Sceptre
The Die Box/Pizza Oven
The Bongo Hat
Spotty
The Metasmorpho Spots
ABC Stung
ABC Blocks
Farmyard Frolics/Who's Who at the Zoo/Pet Store Pranks
Cut and Restored Rope
Sponge Balls
Rocky Raccoon/Zig Zag Rocky
Strat-o-Sphere

What are some of your favorite effects for the 5 and under crowd?
TheAmbitiousCard
View Profile
Eternal Order
Northern California
13411 Posts

Profile of TheAmbitiousCard
Egg bag - $20
the professor's nightmare - $5
vanishing hanky - $5
miser's dream - $5
sponge balls - $5
relating to 5 year-old kids - priceless

killer material for a grand total of .... $40
www.theambitiouscard.com Hand Crafted Magic
Trophy Husband, Father of the Year Candidate,
Chippendale's Dancer applicant, Unofficial World Record Holder.
Starrpower
View Profile
Inner circle
4070 Posts

Profile of Starrpower
You do some expensive shopping, Frank! I think I can put together a Prof Nightmare for under a buck! Also, for the price of a paper bag, I get a lot of interaction as kids mime tossing an imaginary ball around. LOL!
Dynamike
View Profile
Eternal Order
FullTimer
24107 Posts

Profile of Dynamike
Earlier we were discussing in a thread what is the minimum age kids begin to understand magic. It averaged 5 and 6 year olds. Most kids cannot understand most of the effects you have listed under 5 (unless performed correctly).

I can entertain kids 5 and under in an easy manner with sponges.
danfreed
View Profile
Inner circle
West Chester PA
1194 Posts

Profile of danfreed
The best thing you can do for that age is be funny, high energy, a goofball, lots of gags with props, very interactive, and like Frank said, be great with kids. I get some of my best laughs while making balloon animals using all kinds of slapstick gags and goofiness. You don't have to make everyone a balloon, you can just make a few for show or to hand out to the birthday kid or volunteer, or to use as part of a balloon magic trick. Also, cute animal puppets with or without ventriloquism can be great though even cute animal puppets can scare some kids if you get close, so be cautious when doing that, and you can have your puppets help with or do magic tricks. They love it when I pull stuff out of their ear such as a coin then a giant coin or a thumbtip streamer. Zig Zag Rocky is great. Comedy Cup is great. Spongeballs. Coloring book if you have a great routine to go with it, goofy wands, etc.
bowers
View Profile
Inner circle
Oakboro N.C.
7036 Posts

Profile of bowers
I don't know about that Mike.
I have a 5 year old grandson that
can work my smartphone and laptop
as good as I can. Lol
Todd
Dynamike
View Profile
Eternal Order
FullTimer
24107 Posts

Profile of Dynamike
Quote:
On 2013-11-17 23:28, danfreed wrote:
Also, cute animal puppets with or without ventriloquism can be great though even cute animal puppets can scare some kids if you get close, so be cautious when doing that, and you can have your puppets help with or do magic tricks.

I agree. But sometimes it can be the opposite. I seen mothers bring their 1 year olds next to my real rabbit after my show. Sometimes they pull/grab my rabbit's fur.
pbj100
View Profile
Special user
516 Posts

Profile of pbj100
Quote:
On 2013-11-17 23:23, Dynamike wrote:
Earlier we were discussing in a thread what is the minimum age kids begin to understand magic. It averaged 5 and 6 year olds. Most kids cannot understand most of the effects you have listed under 5 (unless performed correctly).

I can entertain kids 5 and under in an easy manner with sponges.

Hi,
I don't really agree under 5s do understand the effects listed ... Maybe not that its a trick they may believe its real magic
They magical know that ropes cannot strectch . Money cannot be plucked from the air . They still love it
Phil
Dynamike
View Profile
Eternal Order
FullTimer
24107 Posts

Profile of Dynamike
There really is no one answer. It depends what is in their minds. Some kids learn quicker than others. Some kids are taught quicker than others. The alphabet for example. Not all kids know the alphabet the same age. I seen a mother still giving her daughter a milk bottle at the age of 4 years old. At ages 2, 3 and 4, some kids will look at it as a trick. Some kids will look at it as real magic. Some kids will look at it as natural. Some kids will look at it as realistic. Some kids those ages are never shown a trick at all. A lot of adults still look at magic as sorcery or witchcraft. I cannot recall what age I was when I was shown magic. But I do remember Santa Claus was taught to me at a very young age.

About a month ago I remember showing a little girl who recently turned 3 inside a store a trick with a sponge rabbit. She seen it vanish as I was handing it to her. She said "Its magic". A lot of times when I do the same effect to kids, some look down on the floor thinking it dropped. Some look at me because they are confused. A few cried because they did not receive the rabbit. I have even seen 1 year olds smile or giggle from watching the same effect. A lot of times I end the effect pretending to pull it out of a young child's ear. Sometimes I repeat the effect. The child tries to pull it out their own ear from me repeating it. The adults laugh watching that.

When a child is so young, it is not about if they can understand magic or not. It is all about passing "fun" to them. To make it short and understanding, present it with The Great Zucchini method. I know many of you already knew about it before you even knew him. But that way is understandable in our forum because it has been discussed a lot.

Quote:
On 2013-11-18 04:40, pbj100 wrote:
Maybe not that its a trick they may believe its real magic
They magical know that ropes cannot strectch . Money cannot be plucked from the air . They still love it
Phil

It must be presented in the right manner for them to love it. Performing Misers Dream to a day care center with a straight face isn't going to get no where. Show emotions by looking excited as each coin is plucked from the air. Do a lot of movements. Standing it one spot will get less attention. The day care kids will laugh more at a funny character instead of what is being performed. A trick is only a trick. The way it is presented is what counts.
pbj100
View Profile
Special user
516 Posts

Profile of pbj100
Quote:
On 2013-11-18 06:04, Dynamike wrote:
Quote:
On 2013-11-18 04:40, pbj100 wrote:
Maybe not that its a trick they may believe its real magic
Phil

It must be presented in the right manner for them to love it. Performing Misers Dream to a day care center with a straight face isn't going to get no where. Show emotions by looking excited as each coin is plucked from the air. Do a lot of movements. Standing it one spot will get less attention. The day care kids will laugh more at a funny character instead of what is being performed.

Hi,
Yes they will laugh more as you say... But I want more than just laughter from my shows. under 5s can still enjoy. Suspence , wonder and quiet moments drawing the audience in.
Quentin reynolds put out a DVD the name eludes me at the moment. But it was all about applying texture to your show.
I have seen to many magicians who think that if the kids are shouting they are doing great
Dynamike
View Profile
Eternal Order
FullTimer
24107 Posts

Profile of Dynamike
Phillip, do you have any clippings of you performing magic for kids? I would like to watch you.

I like the pictures you have on your website, great kid interactions. But I advise taking the promo picture of the Chair Suspension in a different area, not in front of a window. http://www.trick.org.uk/page2.html
pbj100
View Profile
Special user
516 Posts

Profile of pbj100
Yeah the chair picture was taken with Annie one of our 5 children at home. It was meant to be temporary but time passes.

Posted: Nov 18, 2013 9:00am
Hi,
I do not have any clips to offer you
I tend to work alone.
That said I may have some for you shortly as I am trying to get footage for promo . Its just the difficulty of getting parental consent for filming from the whole audience and some one to film .phil
Dynamike
View Profile
Eternal Order
FullTimer
24107 Posts

Profile of Dynamike
I understand. I'll be patient.
Mumblemore
View Profile
Inner circle
1437 Posts

Profile of Mumblemore
For younger kids, the magic has to be straight forward (they don't deal well with complicated plots and have limited attention spans), but otherwise any showy appearances go over well if they are over 3. We shouldn't patronize little kids; we should just do the magic with a little more explanation, a little more deliberateness (take it slow), and tell it like it is. They don't like being talked down to; they like being treated like little dudes with more creativity and imagination, which is what they are. Any of the tricks from above would work, but I would emphasize a couple of types of effects: 1) those with funny stories (but not "canned" wooden props) like Pinocchio's nose and card-picking snakes or Elephant in the Room; 2) those that involve the suffering of the magician (Three Cup Monte routine for sl--- po---- where you pour last cup on your head, Blow Yur Stack where kid wins and magician cheats, Ian Adair's Great Painting Competition) or some unwitting volunteer, parent, or teacher (Wiz Cote where kid is given a paper bag instead of a shoe); 3) anything vaguely PGish (I pull out "granny's underpants" after asking kids to wish for sponge Bday cake under dove pan, saying that "whatever you are thinking about is what will appear, and I had Nick Wenger insert a squirt "pee" shooter into Zig Zag Rocky - I don't say Rocky is peeing at nursery school show, I just shrug after water sprays kids and teachers let me "get away with it")
jimhlou
View Profile
Inner circle
3641 Posts

Profile of jimhlou
The best trick for 5 and under, hands down, is the Kandu Carton. The kids have a blast and the parents love watching them. If I'm not doing a birthday party show I substitute a multi-colored silk for the finale.

I almost hate to say this, but the coloring book is a close second. Silly Billy got me doing this, and I now have a 6 minute routine with the coloring book. I use the one with scribbles so there are three changes with erasing in between. The kids love it and the parents sit there with puzzled looks.

Jim
robvh
View Profile
Elite user
Calgary, AB
445 Posts

Profile of robvh
Colouring Book with scribbles? I've never seen that before. Is it still being made, Jim?
JSBLOOM
View Profile
Inner circle
2021 Posts

Profile of JSBLOOM
Yes, usually with nursery rhymes
Quentin
View Profile
Inner circle
1009 Posts

Profile of Quentin
The Present by Eric Sharp from his book, Entertaining the Under Fives. Ten minutes minimum of hilarious fun which can also be used as a running gag.

Julie Carpenter has some excellent ideas on performing for the under 5s in her lecture notes.
harris
View Profile
Inner circle
Harris Deutsch
8695 Posts

Profile of harris
Yep, I also have the nursery rhyme ones....

Sometimes I include fractured rhymes for the older kids and adults.

I used to do Jack and Jill went up the hill
to fetch a pail of water
Jack fell down and broke his crown
and Jill checked there HMO

I am thinking of re-writing it about the new health care bill.

Harris
who at 60 qualified for a shingles vacine
Harris Deutsch aka dr laugh
drlaugh4u@gmail.com
music, magic and marvelous toys
http://magician.org/member/drlaugh4u
Dynamike
View Profile
Eternal Order
FullTimer
24107 Posts

Profile of Dynamike
Focus on how The Great Zucchini uses his props. It can even be a chair for example. Put any of the above tricks in his hands, and I am sure he will entertain the kids with it one way or another.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The little darlings » » The Best Effects for Kids 5 and Under (8 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.2 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL