The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The little darlings » » The Best Effects for Kids 5 and Under (8 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
The Great Zucchini
View Profile
Inner circle
1347 Posts

Profile of The Great Zucchini
Thanks Mike
wwhokie1
View Profile
Elite user
488 Posts

Profile of wwhokie1
I did a show recently and during the show I set out a bag and told the kids that in the bag was the worlds largest toe nail. And later I would show it to them. I made a few references to the toe nail as the show went on, building up interest. At the appropriate time I invited the youngest girl there, a three year old, up to take the toe nail out of the bag. it was a suspenseful moment as she reached in and took out the toe claw of a T-Rex (not an original, but a museum quality replica). The three year old was so excited, she immediately went running across the room to her mother shouting repeatedly with excitement, "I did it, I did it, did you see mama I did it". She thought she had performed magic simply by taking something out of a brown paper bag that I had told everyone was already in the bag. For her, that was the most magical thing that happened during the show. That is how this age views and understands magic. There was nothing magical that happened or intended to happen, but there was excitement and build up and that made it magical for her. As magicians, we perform magic to accomplish this effect on the children, but with this age we must remember what really makes it work for this age group or it really won't work, no matter how good the magic 'trick' is.

Play peak-a-boo with a one year old and they think it is magic. Cover something with a cloth and a 1 year old thinks it has vanished. Certainly a three or four year old is beyond that, but only one step removed. the whole world is a magical place for that age, that is why performers like the Great Zucchini are so successful, they are able to tap into that magic. Unfortunately we all grow out of it. Fortunately for some of us, we hold on to some of it, and that is why we enjoy performing for kids and why we can do it successfully. Magic for children requires a different view of the world around us. It doesn't matter what props you use, whether big colorful props, or sponge balls and some rope, you have to be able to see the world the way kids do, at least to some extent.

Just my opinions.
mark
stuartmagic
View Profile
Loyal user
Derby England (UK)
238 Posts

Profile of stuartmagic
For under 5s I usually do the razor blade trick as this always goes well but I am thinking of stopping doing it now as the type of blades used are not in common use nowadays which is a shame.

Apart from that (LOL) I do things that are visual like magic painting. Any effect where there is the element of something happening that you don't see such as run rabbit run or Benjamin trick.

I also have a very large fluffy dog puppet that is a real attention getter for the very very young although nothing, and I mean nothing !, beats the live rabbit production that I use. All children, no matter what their age, love a real live rabbit.

Living in the UK , almost 100% of my party bookings are for full parties and so I also use party music, bubble machine and similar to help keep their attention span.

Hope this helps.

Stuart.
bowers
View Profile
Inner circle
Oakboro N.C.
7036 Posts

Profile of bowers
D-lite's work well with this age group also.
Todd
The Great Zucchini
View Profile
Inner circle
1347 Posts

Thanks Mike
Dynamike
View Profile
Eternal Order
FullTimer
24107 Posts

Profile of Dynamike
Check out Terry Herbert's DVD, "Magic For Under 5s" http://www.practical-magic.com/online-sh......t-detail
pbj100
View Profile
Special user
516 Posts

Profile of pbj100
Here is a bit of business I use normaly I have completed an effect with a helper and I want to reward them lets say with a balloon sword and holder ,

Inflate the balloon for your favourite sword , then insert your finger into one end of the balloon (secretly) ask the child to hold it just as they are about to grasp it release the baalloon making it shoot upward off the fore finger I say " no don't throw it just hold it)
at the same time retrieving the balloon and rubbing my hand up the lenght of the balloon to straighten it (this also sets a static charge to the balloon needed later) repeat the handing the balloon to the child and making it shoot off as many times as you feel comfortable the last time when you retrive the balloon place it quickly behind your back and ask the helper where it has gone . Now go through all the on your back buisines that you know , finaly turn to the side so the stage helper can see and reach the balloon stage whisper as you turn for them to grab the balloon . To conclude turn back see the balloon in the Childs hand and scream and act suprised
Phil
The Great Zucchini
View Profile
Inner circle
1347 Posts

Pbj, awesome, fun routine-not kidding. I can totally see the kids cracking up, and sounds like something I might do. Lol.
The physical comedy is great-You said you didn't get me, but that routine isn't really magic. Curious, your thoughts? Guys, I want discussions to always stay thought provoking and positive when we disagree, so I hope we can all do that. Pbj, Im just saying it seems odd how you would spend time saying how people in England wouldn't get me, when the routine you described is something I would do
pbj100
View Profile
Special user
516 Posts

Profile of pbj100
I think the difference is this is only part of my show as I said business
I still have strong magic in the show my business just complements the magic . I try for a balance between magic , fun business , suspence,drama outright teasing of the kids.
Some may find it strange that I tease but it works for my carachter .
An example of the teasing is another bit of balloon business I use.
At a birthday party I may be making several balloon swords so when making a sword for a helper I say " I just want everone to know that these swords are just balloons they are not real and because they are balloon swords if you fight or hit someone with your balloon it will probably pop or come U twisted a much better thing to do is this " I then proced to balance the sword by the tip on my nose after the oh's and ah,s I say " yes and if you can do this people normaly clap cheer and go wild! "
I also signal for aplause with my arms as I deliver the line. Once the applause dies I remove the balloon and day to the child " andyou should find this really easy as you have a really big nooo no you haven't I am just teasing"
Phil
The Great Zucchini
View Profile
Inner circle
1347 Posts

Yea, I would never give a sword out during show to anyone in audience. I won't change Phil's mind, bit I think its a mistake if you are starting out and need advice. It will be tough to have undivided attention when they are looking at sword, swinging it around, balloon squeaking, etc. I would never do this.
I also tease myself more than anything, so I guess we do disagree on a lot. Cheers mate. England is on my top 3 destinations. Hopefully we can all meet one day
pbj100
View Profile
Special user
516 Posts

Profile of pbj100
I make balloons for my helpers but I keep them until the show is over . I also reccomend to the parents that they do not let the children have them until it is time to go home phil
pbj100
View Profile
Special user
516 Posts

Profile of pbj100
It would be nice indeed to meetup if you come to the UK phil

When I said above about saying to the parents not to give the gallons back until after the party . I am revering to the parents of the birthday child or party organisor
TommyJ
View Profile
Inner circle
Foxboro, MA
1750 Posts

Profile of TommyJ
ANY Tommy James product, but I have a biased opinion Smile
"Keep the Kids Laughing!"
https://www.tommyjamesmagic.com/store
pbj100
View Profile
Special user
516 Posts

Profile of pbj100
I like that Tommy!
phil
Dynamike
View Profile
Eternal Order
FullTimer
24107 Posts

Profile of Dynamike
Quote:
On 2014-01-20 09:22, pbj100 wrote:
Here is a bit of business I use normaly I have completed an effect with a helper and I want to reward them lets say with a balloon sword and holder ,

Inflate the balloon for your favourite sword , then insert your finger into one end of the balloon (secretly) ask the child to hold it just as they are about to grasp it release the baalloon making it shoot upward off the fore finger I say " no don't throw it just hold it)
at the same time retrieving the balloon and rubbing my hand up the lenght of the balloon to straighten it (this also sets a static charge to the balloon needed later) repeat the handing the balloon to the child and making it shoot off as many times as you feel comfortable the last time when you retrive the balloon place it quickly behind your back and ask the helper where it has gone . Now go through all the on your back buisines that you know , finaly turn to the side so the stage helper can see and reach the balloon stage whisper as you turn for them to grab the balloon . To conclude turn back see the balloon in the Childs hand and scream and act suprised
Phil

Phil, that is a great effect. It will create lots of interactions. I'm jealous. Smile
The Great Zucchini
View Profile
Inner circle
1347 Posts

No doubt. Tommy, your Kerplunk wand hasn't left my show, since I got it
TomBoleware
View Profile
Inner circle
Hattiesburg, Ms
2803 Posts

Profile of TomBoleware
I think The Axtell Drawing Board plays well to almost all ages, including the very young.

Tom
"Entrepreneurs are willing to work 80 hours a week to avoid working 40 hours a week"--Lori Greiner

www.tomboleware.com
pbj100
View Profile
Special user
516 Posts

Profile of pbj100
I just noticed in my description I forgot to say that when you put the balloon behind your back it should cling to your back due to the static you built up . So you can let go with both hands . Whilst lots of children know to rub a balloon and stick it to a wall they go not seem to realise that sticking to your back is the same method phil
TommyJ
View Profile
Inner circle
Foxboro, MA
1750 Posts

Profile of TommyJ
Quote:
On 2014-01-20 19:55, The Great Zucchini wrote:
No doubt. Tommy, your Kerplunk wand hasn't left my show, since I got it

Glad its workin for you Zuc Smile
"Keep the Kids Laughing!"
https://www.tommyjamesmagic.com/store
Potty the Pirate
View Profile
Inner circle
4621 Posts

Profile of Potty the Pirate
Quote:
On 2014-01-21 06:33, pbj100 wrote:
I just noticed in my description I forgot to say that when you put the balloon behind your back it should cling to your back due to the static you built up . So you can let go with both hands . Whilst lots of children know to rub a balloon and stick it to a wall they go not seem to realise that sticking to your back is the same method phil

The balloon can be affixed to the back of your helper (choose the kid with the jumper on.)

This is another great bit of business with balloons. There are SO many gags with balloons: after some debate here, I created a one-hour show with just a sock and a balloon. I believe the routine is still here somewhere.

Also, play with curling the balloon as you inflate it. Different curls mean the balloon behaves very differently, if released after inflation.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The little darlings » » The Best Effects for Kids 5 and Under (8 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.18 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL