We Remember The Magic Café We Remember
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Rap Music (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
Steve Brooks
View Profile
Founder / Manager
Northern California - United States
4763 Posts

Profile of Steve Brooks
Over the years, I've played in several bands ranging from rock, country rock, country, and even Christian rock. It takes a lot of hard work, when you actually write the songs and play your own instruments. Smile

Rap bothers me (especially the so-called gangster rap). I just can't enjoy some guy screaming at me about his women, his money, his new car, and how many people he shot today.

It's pretty ridiculous when these rappers are doing drive-by shootings at each others concerts. I do not recall the Beatles ever trying to shoot at the Stones.

To me, these gangster rappers are no more than street thugs who have been thrust into stardom by greedy record executives. By day the rappers rap, by night they still roam the streets selling dope, running guns, and killing each other. Very sad. Just goes to show, give a criminal a million dollars and fame, and he's still a criminal. Only now he has money and power.

It's really a shame, especially given the fact the new generation of kids look up to them, and want to be like them.

From a creative standpoint, there are several lawsuits against many of the rappers, who seem to feel it's okay to borrow other peoples music and lyrics without permission. Again, once a thief, always a thief. Very sad indeed.

This of course does not apply to all rappers, but does apply to the majority.
By day I work as a counselor, and have worked with probation kids (wanna be gangsters) for years, and have seen all I care too. Just my 2 cents.
Smile
"Always be you because nobody else can" - Steve Brooks
Peter Loughran
View Profile
V.I.P.
Ontario, Canada
2684 Posts

Profile of Peter Loughran
I agree with Steve for the most part. However beleive it or not I am a huge Beastie Boys fan, and have seen them live five times and they put on one entertaining show. But these guys don't sing over a prerecorded beat. They do infact play all thier own instuments. I admit they do have DJ spinning vinyl but any samples they use has been authorized.

So as Steve mentioned not every rap group falls into that catagory.

P.
Brand New: - SNAKE BITE ILLUSION
www.masterofillusions.ca

Follow me on Facebook:
https://m.facebook.com/peter.loughran.9

Check out my new movie:
www.plasterrockmovie.com
www.globaluniversal.com

Also visit: www.l2fireworks.com
christopher carter
View Profile
Special user
660 Posts

Profile of christopher carter
I'm not a big rap fan; born in the wrong time for it. But hip hop has been a great influence on other forms--rock, of course, but also Jazz.

I have some bad news for some of you who are into the dance scene. (I'm making the generalization that most of you are pretty young.) Nothing you like now will be cool in six years. That's just the curse of getting older in a youth culture. The good news is that you won't care anymore about what's in or current, and so you'll be more free to sample things from areas that at one time you'd never touch. Not that many of you aren't ecclectic, but what's current is of less importance when you aren't current either.

--Christopher Carter
mattneufeld
View Profile
Regular user
119 Posts

Profile of mattneufeld
I'd have to say that rap is one of the worst things to happen to music in a long time. I suggest listening to some good ol' classic rock for about five hours a day, 30 days in a row, and then you'll appreciate what great MUSIC--harmonies, choruses, refrains, tunes, melodies, bridges, hooks, riffs, contrasts, beats, brass, woodwinds, guitars, drums, basses, percussion, strings, emotions, lyrics, rhymes, phrasings, enunciations, positive statements, productive statements, issues, meanings, intelligence, insight, etc., etc., etc.--is all about!
danny
View Profile
Loyal user
England
261 Posts

Profile of danny
Old skool rock and metal for me.
Bird Brain
View Profile
Regular user
161 Posts

Profile of Bird Brain
Quote:
On 2002-06-04 23:26, Reian wrote:
I'm sure Ja Rule would trade up his rapper's lifestyle and attractive women for your degree in psychology. But at least he has something in common with stage magicians, attractive women.

PUNK ROCK!!!


Reian,

You MAY be a girl, and you MAY be from the tropics...Things to discourage a guy from disagreeing with you....BUT...BUT...(see?)
HOW DARE MENTION PUNK ROCK IN THE PRESENCE OF SUCH A KILLER GUITAR PLAYER AS ME??????? Smile Smile Smile Smile

I hope Jimi Hendrix comes back and gets you and the person who said that guitar music was low energy.....
(I'm joking!)

Alright, I don't really listen to rap, but the one song that I do like is Run DMC's "Christmas in Hollis"...Y'all are prolly going Smile BUT It's a groovy song! Lol!

5150,
Bird Brain
Yes I know my enemies
They're the teachers who taught me to fight me
Compromise, conformity, assimilation, submission
Ignorance, hypocrisy, brutality, the elite
All of which are American Dreams, All of which are American Dreams
Bird Brain
View Profile
Regular user
161 Posts

Profile of Bird Brain
Quote:
On 2002-06-15 04:01, Steve Brooks wrote:
Over the years, I've played in several bands ranging from rock, country rock, country, and even Christian rock. It takes a lot of hard work, when you actually write the songs and play your own instruments. Smile

Rap bothers me (especially the so-called gangster rap). I just can't enjoy some guy screaming at me about his women, his money, his new car, and how many people he shot today.

It's pretty ridiculous when these rappers are doing drive-by shootings at each others concerts. I do not recall the Beatles ever trying to shoot at the Stones.

To me, these gangster rappers are no more than street thugs who have been thrust into stardom by greedy record executives. By day the rappers rap, by night they still roam the streets selling dope, running guns, and killing each other. Very sad. Just goes to show, give a criminal a million dollars and fame, and he's still a criminal. Only now he has money and power.

It's really a shame, especially given the fact the new generation of kids look up to them, and want to be like them.

From a creative standpoint, there are several lawsuits against many of the rappers, who seem to feel it's okay to borrow other peoples music and lyrics without permission. Again, once a thief, always a thief. Very sad indeed.

This of course does not apply to all rappers, but does apply to the majority.
By day I work as a counselor, and have worked with probation kids (wanna be gangsters) for years, and have seen all I care too. Just my 2 cents.
Smile


Steve,

My gosh! You have some valid points there! Music is a very powerful tool, and most often, it's misused! I'm a big Ozzy Osbourne fan, and I also believe in non violence. They don't exactly go hand in hand. Well, as you could guess, Ozzy ain't what you would call a guy who's good at conflict resolution! And after listening to his music, it SHOWS in me! In little old me! Lol!

Anger is SO easy to misguide. I can't really speak for rap, but I can speak for some Metal. Most people think that metal is just "Smoke Dope, Kill your firstborn and give him to the devil, and then go get drunk". Some of it is. However, SOME of the guys out there use their anger against things that people SHOULD be angry at, like wasteful war, environmental destruction, bad parenting (believe it or not! Check out Metal Church "In Harm's Way"), etc etc, and use their music to create a very powerful "good" message. That's what I think we need to see more of. But not that angry stuff that you're referring to. That just sets us back.
That must be so hard seeing that every day.
I bet you're good at helping those kids, tho.


Keep up the good work, buddy.

5150,
Bird Brain
Yes I know my enemies
They're the teachers who taught me to fight me
Compromise, conformity, assimilation, submission
Ignorance, hypocrisy, brutality, the elite
All of which are American Dreams, All of which are American Dreams
foreva.infiniti
View Profile
Regular user
6 Posts a + a 6 Posts =
116 Posts

Profile of foreva.infiniti
I haven't listened 2 rap (currently on tha radio) since highschool (2004/Mike Jones) and 2 me its just 2 commercial nowadays. Snoop dogg went from a gangsta rapper to a pop singer to a reggae singer known as Snoop Lion
Colors are Foreva. Numbers are Infinite. 4 every number there's a color. HEY! Eternity! Lets smoke a beer and drink some loud. But wait! I heard you was a six a plus a 6 ahhhh.
Herr Brian Tabor
View Profile
Special user
West Virginia
729 Posts

Profile of Herr Brian Tabor
Ugh, I despise rap music. BUT, between you and me, I don't mind a little old school eminem now and again...shhh!
frankvomit
View Profile
Elite user
485 Posts

Profile of frankvomit
I rally liked straight out of Compton by NWA but when that first came out it was fresh and new and it had an energy to it the I haven't heard in any kind of RAP before or since but either than that I like the first Rage against the machine album but I guess that's more metal and rap fuzed but I like it for the same reason as NWA.
mastermindreader
View Profile
V.I.P.
Seattle, WA
12589 Posts

Profile of mastermindreader
What's with the resurrection of all these ten and eleven year old threads? Most of the guys being responded to haven't been here in years.

That said, I'm cool with all good music, regardless of the genre.
Steve_Mollett
View Profile
Inner circle
Eh, so I've made
3010 Posts

Profile of Steve_Mollett
If a piece of music grates on me, I listen to something else.
Author of: GARROTE ESCAPES
The absurd is the essential concept and the first truth.
- Albert Camus
Pakar Ilusi
View Profile
Inner circle
5715 Posts

Profile of Pakar Ilusi
I love rap music.

If you don't, that's your choice! Smile
"Dreams aren't a matter of Chance but a matter of Choice." -DC-
foreva.infiniti
View Profile
Regular user
6 Posts a + a 6 Posts =
116 Posts

Profile of foreva.infiniti
Quote:

On 2013-07-13 18:40, Pakar Ilusi wrote:
I love rap music.

If you don't, that's your choice! Smile

I second that motion
Colors are Foreva. Numbers are Infinite. 4 every number there's a color. HEY! Eternity! Lets smoke a beer and drink some loud. But wait! I heard you was a six a plus a 6 ahhhh.
foreva.infiniti
View Profile
Regular user
6 Posts a + a 6 Posts =
116 Posts

Profile of foreva.infiniti
Quote:

On 2013-07-13 11:29, mastermindreader wrote:
What's with the resurrection of all these ten and eleven year old threads? Most of the guys being responded to haven't been here in years.

That said, I'm cool with all good music, regardless of the genre.

Hindsight
Colors are Foreva. Numbers are Infinite. 4 every number there's a color. HEY! Eternity! Lets smoke a beer and drink some loud. But wait! I heard you was a six a plus a 6 ahhhh.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Rap Music (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.19 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL