The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » You are getting sleepy...very sleepy... » » Fear (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Oscar Broecker
View Profile
New user
22 Posts

Profile of Oscar Broecker
Hey there, I have been posting questions here quite a lot lately. But it is close to Christmas, and I have very few wishes, so I don't want to buy reality is plastic yet (if I do not get it as a Chistmasgift I will buy it though).
I have been watching Anthony Jacquin's free videos, over and over. All I really need is a pre-talk, and I know the setup, I just can't figure out what to say to revome their fear, I have gotten so many people that are all stiff, and impossible to work with!!! So any suggestions I very wwelcome here

-Oscar
PS. sorry for the bad English
mindpunisher
View Profile
Inner circle
6132 Posts

Profile of mindpunisher
If all you have done is watch a few free videos I would be afraid too.
Oscar Broecker
View Profile
New user
22 Posts

Yeah fair enough, but I am still waiting for The Manchurian Approach, and the videos were kinda in depth for what they were. I didn't learn much different, but I am quite I could hypnotize someone, using the magnetic fingers and magnetic hand... But I guees I will just wait for my MAc Smile

-Oscar
Mindpro
View Profile
Inner circle
9638 Posts

Profile of Mindpro
I've always been curious as to why guys think they'll be able to hypnotize someone by just watching a video? Do they consider this actual training?
TonyB2009
View Profile
Inner circle
5006 Posts

Profile of TonyB2009
I agree Mindpro. I read a book.

Seriously, videos alone are not going to help you much. You will need to do quite a bit of reading as well, and watch one or two hypnotists in action. And be prepared for many failures along the way. Still, it is fun.
seadog93
View Profile
Inner circle
3198 Posts

Profile of seadog93
I started a whole response, but then I re-read your post and saw that you have already been trying, but unsuccessfully.

How are you selecting the people you work with? Are they enthusiastic, motivated and responsive to start off with?
What is the context?
Have you asked them why they are stiff or what it is that they are afraid of (if they are really afraid)?

I haven't seen the free videos, but are they your only experience with hypnosis?
Have you ever been hypnotized?
"Love is the magician who pulls man out of his own hat" - Ben Hecht

"Love says 'I am everything.' Wisdom says 'I am nothing'. Between the two, my life flows." -Nisargadatta Maharaj

Seadog=C-Dawg=C.ou.rtn.ey Kol.b
seadog93
View Profile
Inner circle
3198 Posts

Profile of seadog93
BTW,
I started a thread recently about pre-talks that had some amazing responses and information.

It seems to me that different venues need different talks, but so too do different styles.
I've done hypnosis since 2002 (not on stage) and only recently even became aware of the concept of a pre-talk. I never gave one, although if anyone had concerns I would talk with them about them (so I guess maybe that counts).

It seems that there are extremes based on style and personality. In clinical hypnosis, for example, Gerald Kein has a 35 minute videotaped pre-talk that covers just about everything you can think of, whereas Sean Michael Andrews takes 42 seconds.

In stage hypnosis Terry Stokes takes 10 minutes to give a pre-talk, suggestibility tests, get the committee onstage AND induced; on the other hand Michael Johns takes more than twenty minutes on the pre-talk alone.

People who specialize in instant inductions sometimes say that a pre-talk is moot because it happens to quick to resist. ....but I've also seen people spend a lot of time talking first, essentially giving suggestions that the instant induction will work.
"Love is the magician who pulls man out of his own hat" - Ben Hecht

"Love says 'I am everything.' Wisdom says 'I am nothing'. Between the two, my life flows." -Nisargadatta Maharaj

Seadog=C-Dawg=C.ou.rtn.ey Kol.b
Mindpro
View Profile
Inner circle
9638 Posts

Profile of Mindpro
Quote:
On 2013-11-18 12:46, TonyB2009 wrote:
I agree Mindpro. I read a book.

Lol - we know!

But seriously too, and you would be a good one to ask, you learned by reading a book. This is similar to learning by watching a DVD in the sense of trying to learn yourself. But recently you took Justin's live training. Could you compare the two. The differences. What if anything you got from actual live training vs. learning on your own whether it be book or dvd.

This might be helpful to these newer guys that keep popping in here. I'd also be curious as to your thoughts.
TonyB2009
View Profile
Inner circle
5006 Posts

Profile of TonyB2009
The live training was vastly superior to the book learning. Anthony Jacquin's training was particularly helpful as it really sharpened my inductions and pushed my show to a new level. I took Justin Tranz's training two years later, and it was very useful too. If I hadn't already done Anthony's training, Justin's would have pushed me to a new level, and I learned a lot of new twists which have improved the show.

I have never seen a hypnosis DVD, but then I don't own a DVD player and have never found learning anything from a DVD useful. Books took me to a certain level, and watching other hypnotists in action helped flesh out what the books revealed. But live training was better. I have no regrets about the order in which I went about things. I was ready for the live training when it came, and I got the most out of it. As a beginner I would have got less out of it, but it would have shortened the learning curve.

As an aside, I never hypnotised anyone one on one until two years ago. For the first fifteen years of my career every induction I ever did was a group one.

So in order of usefulness: Live Training. Book training. Watching other hypnotists. Watching DVDs and youtube clips.
mindpunisher
View Profile
Inner circle
6132 Posts

Profile of mindpunisher
Just a note on clinical hypnosis.... I don't have a pre-talk. I don't think hypnosis is important. The only important thing is solving the clients problem. Hypnosis is just a tool the word never gets mentioned.Who cares of they are "in hypnosis" or not I only care about getting the result. That's all that matters.
quicknotist
View Profile
Special user
888 Posts

Profile of quicknotist
Quote:
On 2013-11-18 14:09, TonyB2009 wrote:
I don't own a DVD player and have never found learning anything from a DVD useful.

Probably because you need a DVD player to watch them.
mindpunisher
View Profile
Inner circle
6132 Posts

Profile of mindpunisher
Quote:
On 2013-11-19 05:18, quicknotist wrote:
Quote:
On 2013-11-18 14:09, TonyB2009 wrote:
I don't own a DVD player and have never found learning anything from a DVD useful.

Probably because you need a DVD player to watch them.

Tony has his own unique logic I hope he never changes:)
Oscar Broecker
View Profile
New user
22 Posts

Yeah, I am defently going to buy "Reality is plastic". But I am quite hard to find gift for, and (Brace yourself) Christmas is coming.

-Oscar
Johannes L.
View Profile
Special user
Sweden
692 Posts

Profile of Johannes L.
Experience leads to self confidence - self confidence leads to authority - authority leads to confident ways to remove fears.
The Rain Man Glimpse

Effect: The mentalist memorize any kind of information in less than a second. $5
partner103
View Profile
New user
Toronto, Ontario
7 Posts

Profile of partner103
Hi All,

Very new here, but I have been lurking around a while now. I started learning about hypnosis on my own.
Read a few books, watched some videos and now I am thinking about doing a course with Mike Mandel.

I honestly never tried hypnotizing anyone, and am looking to get the practical experience through Mike's course.

Oscar, why not try a course with an experienced hypnotist that could teach different techniques also prime you on some potential questions you may have. During these classes you could also get the 'practical' experience with the folks. This could also give you some reassurance.

Just a thought.
- J
newcomer
View Profile
New user
15 Posts

Profile of newcomer
I also learned stage hypnosis from a book and then just went out and did it. I had disaster after disaster but then one day it all fell into place. To this day I have no idea how I had the nerve. It probably wasn't the best way to go about learning but for some reason it worked. You just have to have the guts to go out and die a death a few times.
TonyB2009
View Profile
Inner circle
5006 Posts

Profile of TonyB2009
The only way to learn anything is to go out and do it. I did my first hypnosis show a few days after reading my first book on the subject. Not a great show, but it worked. After a few years I read another book, and things got better.

The only exception is swimming. I remember trying to teach a friend how to swim. He got frustrated in the end, ran to the deep end, and jumped right into the middle. He assumed, as I probably would have, that he would naturally swim rather than drown. He was wrong. He began to drown. Fortunately I liked the guy, so I plucked him out.

Everything else, including hypnosis, jump right in and try it. You might surprise yourself. And you will have fun. Let's face it, we all know guys who have done three or four courses, read dozens of books, talked the thing to death, and have not gone out and done a show. They are over trained. Much worse, in my view, than being under trained.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » You are getting sleepy...very sleepy... » » Fear (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.18 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL