The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Knockout Game (3 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7~8~9 [Next]
Magnus Eisengrim
View Profile
Inner circle
Sulla placed heads on
1053 Posts

Profile of Magnus Eisengrim
Does anybody have any data on how many "knockout game" attacks have taken place in 2013? If so, how does it compare to say, targeted campus assaults? Or military personnel attacking civilians? Or student attacks on teachers? Or...

What makes it a trend, apart from the explosion of editorial outrage?
The blood-dimmed tide is loosed, and everywhere
The ceremony of innocence is drowned;
The best lack all conviction, while the worst
Are full of passionate intensity.--Yeats
Bob1Dog
View Profile
Inner circle
Wife: It's me or this houseful of
1159 Posts

Profile of Bob1Dog
Let's just say that if it was called the Ebony Attack Game, instead of the Polar Bear Game, as it is in NYC, do you think the number of occurrences would matter? Wouldn't you agree that merely one of these attacks would gain national attention, not to mention a growing trend of them? Just sayin.
What if the Hokey Pokey really IS what it's all about? Smile

My neighbor rang my doorbell at 2:30 a.m. this morning, can you believe that, 2:30 a.m.!? Lucky for him I was still up playing my drums.
Magnus Eisengrim
View Profile
Inner circle
Sulla placed heads on
1053 Posts

Dunno, Bob. That's the question. Do you know how many authenticated attacks there have been in 2013?

None of the sources has denied that knockout attacks occur. What is being questioned is the media narrative.
tommy
View Profile
Eternal Order
Devil's Island
16543 Posts

Profile of tommy
Two.
If there is a single truth about Magic, it is that nothing on earth so efficiently evades it.

Tommy
Bob1Dog
View Profile
Inner circle
1159 Posts

Profile of Bob1Dog
Quote:
On 2013-11-26 13:02, Magnus Eisengrim wrote:
Dunno, Bob. That's the question. Do you know how many authenticated attacks there have been in 2013?

None of the sources has denied that knockout attacks occur. What is being questioned is the media narrative.

I'm not denying that the media is lapping it up. And I don't know how many have been committed, but certainly more than the two tommy suggeested. That it's a growing trend is clear. I think if we look at the news reports there are at least a dozen or so that I could probably find that have been documented. But then how many haven't been documented?

And I'll ask the same question again. What if there was just one case where instead of being a polar bear game, it was the other way around. Do you not think there would be a media circus over that one lone event, created by the two most likely activists out there?

My neighbor rang my doorbell at 2:30 a.m. this morning, can you believe that, 2:30 a.m.!? Lucky for him I was still up playing my drums.
Magnus Eisengrim
View Profile
Inner circle
Sulla placed heads on
1053 Posts

Well, how about the assault and murder of gay, lesbian, or transgendered people? The numbers are (apparently) significantly higher than those of the "knockout game" but the press is significantly lighter. It seems to lack the crucial narrative element of "them attacking us".
tommy
View Profile
Eternal Order
Devil's Island
16543 Posts

Profile of tommy
I think what is scary is the fact that its just a game. There is no motive to it, just random. Wait til they start playing some these computer games for real. How many points do you get for punching Granma?

These computers have made real people seem unreal perhaps.
If there is a single truth about Magic, it is that nothing on earth so efficiently evades it.

Tommy
Bob1Dog
View Profile
Inner circle
1159 Posts

Profile of Bob1Dog
Quote:
On 2013-11-26 16:46, Magnus Eisengrim wrote:
Well, how about the assault and murder of gay, lesbian, or transgendered people? The numbers are (apparently) significantly higher than those of the "knockout game" but the press is significantly lighter. It seems to lack the crucial narrative element of "them attacking us".

With due respect it's all debatable John. None of these things are happy events. If I remember correctly the term "hate crime" developed as a result of a single murder of a gay man in Texas, or someplace out west.

I'm angered by this knockout game for what it is, violent sensless attacks for the mere fun of it. That's all. And I'm frankly happy that the media is paying attention to it. Take me to task, that's fine. But it's my opinion and my right to express. I needn't justify it to anyone. Smile

Magnus Eisengrim
View Profile
Inner circle
Sulla placed heads on
1053 Posts

The knockout game--as described--is revolting. And even two or three such events is reprehensible.

The other story is the story itself. How has this (probably) rare event become a media sensation. One theory (noted above) is that it has the urban-legend quality of being a cautionary tale--"watch out for black youths; they are savages".

But I'm willing to bet that there are more attacks from drunken servicemen on leave than there are "knockout game" attacks. A lot more, I bet. But that story doesn't fit any of the criteria for hysteria. Same with attacks on sexual minorities. Or with sexual assaults. Or lots of other, far more prevalent and serious instances of social violence.
General_Magician
View Profile
Special user
United States
707 Posts

Profile of General_Magician
Quote:
I'm angered by this knockout game for what it is, violent sensless attacks for the mere fun of it. That's all. And I'm frankly happy that the media is paying attention to it.

Me too! It makes me mad to think these kids can just go around punching people and in some instances kill those people and think it's just a fun game as if it's all funny and hilarious. They could end up doing that to the wrong person one of these days and it could backfire on them as well. Prosecutor needs to lock em up and throw away the key. We can't tolerate that kind of behavior especially when people find some kind of sick entertainment in inflicting harm on others just simply for the fun of it. For no reason at all. Eventually, that kind of behavior is going to catch up with them.
"Never fear shadows. They simply mean there is a light shining somewhere nearby." -unknown

Company Website
Facebook Business Page
Twitter Business Page
mastermindreader
View Profile
1949 - 2017
Seattle, WA
12586 Posts

Profile of mastermindreader
Quote:
On 2013-11-19 02:34, stoneunhinged wrote:
If I wanted to post tangentially, like Lobo, I would suggest that the game doesn't really even exist as a problem. A few incidents might sound awful, but in a country with 300 million people, it can hardly be called a trend. But the media has to report stuff, so they report it as if it were something other than a few incidents.

Does anyone other than me remember "vodka tampons"?

Yes- And finally, today the media is reporting it as being largely an urban myth.
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27300 Posts

Profile of Jonathan Townsend
Quote:
On 2013-11-19 05:54, stoneunhinged wrote:
Exactly.

"A disturbing and potentially deadly game known as 'spree shooting' is gaining new attention after recent incidents reported in...."

That's the text beginning the video in the OP's link, slightly modified.

What does "gaining new attention" mean?

How nice that anxiety is not the same as terror
...to all the coins I've dropped here
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27300 Posts

Profile of Jonathan Townsend
Quote:
On 2013-11-26 19:22, mastermindreader wrote:
Quote:
On 2013-11-19 02:34, stoneunhinged wrote:

Does anyone other than me remember "vodka tampons"?

Yes- And finally, today the media is reporting it as being largely an urban myth.

And problems associated with the sweetner in Tab? But so what, the affect on consumers and the damage to the company was done. What of it?
...to all the coins I've dropped here
Bob1Dog
View Profile
Inner circle
1159 Posts

Profile of Bob1Dog
The left and right will not agree on this. That's fine. Let's just see how it plays. Smile

Magnus Eisengrim
View Profile
Inner circle
Sulla placed heads on
1053 Posts

Depends on what you mean by "this". Everyone in this thread agrees that is is morally reprehensible to strike an unsuspecting stranger.
Bob1Dog
View Profile
Inner circle
1159 Posts

Profile of Bob1Dog
John, you insist on requring me to justify myself to you and I will not.

I found your quote above --"watch out for black youths; they are savages" repugnant. That is not what "this" is all about, despite that you seem determined to bring it to that level. I've been avoiding the race card in this entire thread and will continue to do so. You all can come to your own conclusions. That's the reason for my OP.

Once again, let's just see how it plays and please stop badgering me into a discussion with you I'm simply not going to have, so get over it for the sake of keeping the thread alive. Or would you rather it disappear? Smile

And I promise, as news events play, I will be the first to bring them to this thread. I encourage you do do the same. Smile

tommy
View Profile
Eternal Order
Devil's Island
16543 Posts

Profile of tommy
It may be morally reprehensible to strike an unsuspecting stranger but feel free to go and KO my mother in law.

Tommy
Bob1Dog
View Profile
Inner circle
1159 Posts

Profile of Bob1Dog
Smile

General_Magician
View Profile
Special user
United States
707 Posts

Profile of General_Magician
It's not a black or white issue, it's a right and wrong issue and punching somebody in the face for some kind of sick, sadistic sort of fun at the expense of causing pain to others who have done absolutely no wrong to anybody is outrageous. I found this article on CNN:

Quote:
Phoebe Connolly, a possible victim of game where teenagers appear to sucker-punch strangers, is encouraging people to think critically about how such attacks can be stopped.

Connolly was biking in the Columbia Heights area of Washington this month when she was struck. She had passed through a group of teenagers, she said, when one of them "reached out and punched me in the face."

"The whole group of kids laughed," Connolly told CNN's "Anderson Cooper 360" on Tuesday night.

She was not seriously injured.

Though Connolly had never heard of the "knockout game" before the November 15 attack, she may be a victim of it.
'Knockout game': Fact or fiction?

And she's not the only one.

http://www.cnn.com/2013/11/26/us/knockou......pt=hp_t2

Their needs to be some serious consquences for this "game." There is NO EXCUSE for this behavior. Race should not be used to excuse this crime. This is a crime and their is no excuse for committing a crime. Pure and simple. This is not a "game." This is a crime and using race to excuse crime is pretty far out and just cannot be accepted. It has nothing to do with race. Absolutely nothing. It has everything to do with right and wrong and the commission of a crime, finding the perpetrators and making them face justice. The perpetrators violated the law and need to face justice.
"Never fear shadows. They simply mean there is a light shining somewhere nearby." -unknown

Company Website
Facebook Business Page
Twitter Business Page
mastermindreader
View Profile
1949 - 2017
Seattle, WA
12586 Posts

Profile of mastermindreader
Quote:
On 2013-11-26 21:03, Bob1Dog wrote:
The left and right will not agree on this. That's fine. Let's just see how it plays. Smile

I don't see what left or right have to do with this. I can't imagine this being a political issue at all. The fact is that these attacks happen. It's just that they've always happened and it doesn't appear to be a new "game" in the way that it was hyped by the media. And, today, the media seems to have done a reversal on their earlier scare stories.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Knockout Game (3 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7~8~9 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.04 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL