The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » "Selfie" named word of the year (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
magicfish
View Profile
Inner circle
6761 Posts

Profile of magicfish
So much for vanity being a sin. Every kid on the planet is constsntly posing for the perfect self pic for upload. Scary.
Michael Baker
View Profile
Eternal Order
Near a river in the Midwest
11161 Posts

Profile of Michael Baker
Arthur, this should be known as the "Hey, g*dd*mmit, I said Me Generation!"

Oh, and just imagine the science behind this... Now we can study the various sub-groups, such as drunk selfie, out-of-focus selfie, up-the-nostril selfie, photo-bombed selfie, duckface selfie, hold-the-camera-just-right-so-my-boobs-look-bigger selfie, new-tattoo selfie, guaranteed-life-earning-minimum-wage selfie, point-toward-the-mirror-so-the-camera-shows-too selfie, this-is-the-person-who-ate-that-photo-of-my-food-I-just-posted selfie, .....
~michael baker
The Magic Company
General_Magician
View Profile
Special user
United States
707 Posts

Profile of General_Magician
Quote:
On 2013-11-19 15:18, arthur stead wrote:
Maybe they picked it because it represents how self-centered people are nowadays?


I agree.
"Never fear shadows. They simply mean there is a light shining somewhere nearby." -unknown

Company Website
Facebook Business Page
Twitter Business Page
tommy
View Profile
Eternal Order
Devil’s Island
16261 Posts

Profile of tommy
I got to admit though I do like to have my photo taken with my heroes like, me.
If there is a single truth about Magic, it is that nothing on earth so efficiently evades it.

Tommy
mastermindreader
View Profile
V.I.P.
Seattle, WA
12589 Posts

Profile of mastermindreader
Quote:
On 2013-11-19 15:18, arthur stead wrote:
Maybe they picked it because it represents how self-centered people are nowadays?


Actually, they picked it because it was the most used new word on the Internet in 2013.
arthur stead
View Profile
Inner circle
When I played soccer, I hit
1823 Posts

Profile of arthur stead
That's probably true, mastermindreader ... over-used words such as "awesome" and "cool" and "like" are probably only (over) used in actual speech.
Arthur Stead
royalty-free music and interactive routines
www.arthurstead.com
Bob1Dog
View Profile
Inner circle
Wife: It's me or this houseful of
1159 Posts

Profile of Bob1Dog
Quote:
On 2013-11-19 15:09, mastermindreader wrote:
The Oxford dictionary has selected "selfie" as the word of the year for 2013

http://news.yahoo.com/ap-photos-selfie-d......479.html

I'm not sure what my response should be. What's yours?


OK folks, I hate to admit this, but in truth (in my best Don Corleone voice), "I've never heard of a selfie before this very day."

I guess I'm just an out-of-touch old guy who still has a land line and a flip cell phone. I can't believe I missed this particular part of our pop culture. Selfie. Yikes. Hey, look what Andy Warhol did with a soup can, right? Different times, that's all.

Thank you Mastermindreader Bob Cassidy for bringing me to further light. Smile
What if the Hokey Pokey really IS what it's all about? Smile

My neighbor rang my doorbell at 2:30 a.m. this morning, can you believe that, 2:30 a.m.!? Lucky for him I was still up playing my drums.
acesover
View Profile
Special user
I believe I have
819 Posts

Profile of acesover
Quote:
On 2013-11-19 18:02, Slide wrote:
"You say yes and begin to show them your pictures of eating at McDonalds both inside and in the car with your friends and two pictures of eating take out Chinese in your motel room with friends. "

Yes. The photos that mean something to me are those of my kids, my loved ones, my friends. You can't recreate the grand cannon from the lousy pictures you take. Ansel Adams has done much better. I'd rather have the memories of my loved ones. I don't eat at McDonalds so more likely it will be my friends and family eating a a colorful pub or local establishment. I don't know about you, but for me, people are much more fun and interesting to remember than some rock formation.


Well then quite honestly you should not have gone to the Grand Canyon to begin with. Smile However I think it would be nice to include some pictures of the Rock formations with your family so have the both of best worlds. You don't go to a concert with ear plugs.

Besides all Ansel Adams pictures were Black and White using the Zone System and a large format camera.
If I were to agree with you. Then we would both be wrong. As of Apr 5, 2015 10:26 pm I have 880 posts. Used to have over 1,000
Bob1Dog
View Profile
Inner circle
Wife: It's me or this houseful of
1159 Posts

Profile of Bob1Dog
[quote]On 2013-11-20 02:13, acesover wrote:
Quote:
You don't go to a concert with ear plugs.

Aces, I agree with you on most things, but I couldn't go to a concert without ear plugs. And that's why I don't attend concerts anymore.

I have high frequency hearing loss and loud tinnitus in both ears. Noise induced. Military related and I didn't serve in a war zone. Another discussion for another time.

But I can't attend concerts anymore because the music is literally painful to my ears and in fact I need, no, require ear plugs. The last live concert I attended was at Shea Stadium in 1992 when Eric Clapton and Elton John preformed together and I needed ear plugs then. That's the truth. I can't attend live concerts at those decibel levels anymore.

That said, your point is well taken. Smile
What if the Hokey Pokey really IS what it's all about? Smile

My neighbor rang my doorbell at 2:30 a.m. this morning, can you believe that, 2:30 a.m.!? Lucky for him I was still up playing my drums.
irossall
View Profile
Special user
Snohomish, Washington
529 Posts

Profile of irossall
I'll bet if we had a time machine and could go into the future, maybe 100 years, we would hardly be able to understand English. Sort of like today's Ebonic's.
Iven Smile
Give the gift of Life, Be an Organ Donor.
Slide
View Profile
Special user
533 Posts

Profile of Slide
"You don't go to a concert with ear plugs. "

You don't go to many concerts. Ear plugs are a requirement if you want to keep your hearing.

"Well then quite honestly you should not have gone to the Grand Canyon to begin with"

I think you are completely wrong. I think the folks who take pictures at a place like the Grand Canyon are ridiculous: how about just enjoying the moment while you are in it? You can't really enjoy a place if your view is shrunk to the size of a viewfinder. I watch people taking home movies and pictures and think, you are missing the whole experience.
tommy
View Profile
Eternal Order
Devil’s Island
16261 Posts

Profile of tommy
To undertand the magic of photographs it helps to understand the magic of symbols and the method.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oFJxeg5jDmw
If there is a single truth about Magic, it is that nothing on earth so efficiently evades it.

Tommy
LobowolfXXX
View Profile
Inner circle
La Famiglia
1192 Posts

Profile of LobowolfXXX
I saw Motörhead from the 4th row without ear plugs and lived to tell (and hear) about it.
"Torture doesn't work" lol
Guess they forgot to tell Bill Buckley.

"...as we reason and love, we are able to hope. And hope enables us to resist those things that would enslave us."
Magnus Eisengrim
View Profile
Inner circle
Sulla placed heads on
1064 Posts

Profile of Magnus Eisengrim
It probably doesn't need to be said, but my point was not about photographs or photography. It was about apparent importance. One has to wonder about the motivation of posting hundreds of selfies, photos of tonight's dinner, etc on social media. Do we really find

a) ourselves more interesting than our world?
b) the need for approval of our food to be so important?
c) that we need constant attention?
d) that "likes" actually matter to us?
The blood-dimmed tide is loosed, and everywhere
The ceremony of innocence is drowned;
The best lack all conviction, while the worst
Are full of passionate intensity.--Yeats
LobowolfXXX
View Profile
Inner circle
La Famiglia
1192 Posts

Profile of LobowolfXXX
A) No, but many people hope that [i]other people[/i[ will find them more interesting than their world.
b) Related to a); another symptom of runaway narcissism.
c) For many people, yes.
d) See c), above.


It's the reality TV/social media generation. So many people have been made superstars for being annoying self-absorbed narcissists that there's a line of people perpetually auditioning.
"Torture doesn't work" lol
Guess they forgot to tell Bill Buckley.

"...as we reason and love, we are able to hope. And hope enables us to resist those things that would enslave us."
Magnus Eisengrim
View Profile
Inner circle
Sulla placed heads on
1064 Posts

Profile of Magnus Eisengrim
Quote:
On 2013-11-20 10:31, LobowolfXXX wrote:
I saw Motörhead from the 4th row without ear plugs and lived to tell (and hear) about it.


What?
The blood-dimmed tide is loosed, and everywhere
The ceremony of innocence is drowned;
The best lack all conviction, while the worst
Are full of passionate intensity.--Yeats
Slide
View Profile
Special user
533 Posts

Profile of Slide
"One has to wonder about the motivation of posting hundreds of selfies, photos of tonight's dinner, etc on social media."

I find it interesting when people criticize others for being human. Sharing our lives is what brings us closer together. I don't really judge this kind of behavior...is it really any different then the endless posts that go on here over inconsequencial things or things we have not controll over. Do you question your own motivation on posting to a magic board about non magical things? As humans we like to share things. Young people are natural narcisists mainly because they aren't sure of their place in the world.
ClintonMagus
View Profile
Inner circle
Southwestern Southeast
3999 Posts

Profile of ClintonMagus
I vote for "Gardyloo" as word of the year...
Things are more like they are today than they've ever been before...
Devious
View Profile
Inner circle
2120 Posts

Profile of Devious
Here's what I don't understand; a thread about "Selfies" and nary a one posted?
(Shakes his head as he wanders off to find his camera)
Devious Deceptions
"Gadol Elohai!"
L'Chaim!
tommy
View Profile
Eternal Order
Devil’s Island
16261 Posts

Profile of tommy
You know you have arrived when you have a bobble head
If there is a single truth about Magic, it is that nothing on earth so efficiently evades it.

Tommy
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » "Selfie" named word of the year (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.16 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL