We Remember The Magic Café We Remember
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » "Selfie" named word of the year (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
mastermindreader
View Profile
V.I.P.
Seattle, WA
12589 Posts

Profile of mastermindreader
The Oxford dictionary has selected "selfie" as the word of the year for 2013

http://news.yahoo.com/ap-photos-selfie-d......479.html

I'm not sure what my response should be. What's yours?
S2000magician
View Profile
Inner circle
Yorba Linda, CA
3465 Posts

Profile of S2000magician
If I cared, I'd be sad.

Fortunately . . . .
arthur stead
View Profile
Inner circle
When I played soccer, I hit
1823 Posts

Profile of arthur stead
Maybe they picked it because it represents how self-centered people are nowadays?
Arthur Stead
royalty-free music and interactive routines
www.arthurstead.com
mastermindreader
View Profile
V.I.P.
Seattle, WA
12589 Posts

Profile of mastermindreader
I think I agree with you.
tommy
View Profile
Eternal Order
Devil’s Island
16276 Posts

Profile of tommy
Do they need to go to a psychologist or a psychoanalyst to find out about their selfie?
If there is a single truth about Magic, it is that nothing on earth so efficiently evades it.

Tommy
Magnus Eisengrim
View Profile
Inner circle
Sulla placed heads on
1064 Posts

Profile of Magnus Eisengrim
A few years back I took a train from Sydney to the Blue Mountains. I noticed that the middle-aged and beyond were taking photos of the scenery. The youthful took pictures of themselves. It saddened me.
The blood-dimmed tide is loosed, and everywhere
The ceremony of innocence is drowned;
The best lack all conviction, while the worst
Are full of passionate intensity.--Yeats
tommy
View Profile
Eternal Order
Devil’s Island
16276 Posts

Profile of tommy
I'm so tasty I could eat my selfie.
If there is a single truth about Magic, it is that nothing on earth so efficiently evades it.

Tommy
Dennis Michael
View Profile
Inner circle
Southern, NJ
6018 Posts

Profile of Dennis Michael
We are all selfie's it's our business. Without pictures of ourselfs we are limiting our marketing opertunities.
Dennis Michael
Al Angello
View Profile
Eternal Order
Collegeville, Pa. USA
11047 Posts

Profile of Al Angello
I carry a couple pocket tricks with me every where I go. I do not leave my house without at least 25 business cards, and on each card is my picture and phone number which I give to every strangers that will take one.
Al Angello The Comic Juggler/Magician
http://www.juggleral.com
http://home.comcast.net/~juggleral/
"Footprints on your ceiling are almost gone"
0pus
View Profile
Inner circle
New Jersey
1739 Posts

Profile of 0pus
Would you take a selfie of me?
tommy
View Profile
Eternal Order
Devil’s Island
16276 Posts

Profile of tommy
Mr Bean

Tommy
Michael Baker
View Profile
Eternal Order
Near a river in the Midwest
11164 Posts

Profile of Michael Baker
To a large extent, vanity will ALWAYS be in style. Understanding the ego-centric nature of people, and playing to it is one of the secrets to being a good entertainer (or leader, perhaps).

The increase in this behavior?? Simple. People are learning to pay attention to themselves, because no one else does.
~michael baker
The Magic Company
Slide
View Profile
Special user
533 Posts

Profile of Slide
I don't think you guys know what a selfie is. A selfie is when you hold your smart phone at arms length and photograph yourself. It is not just a picture of yourself, which anyone can take. You take the picture in a selfie.
Slide
View Profile
Special user
533 Posts

Profile of Slide
"I noticed that the middle-aged and beyond were taking photos of the scenery. The youthful took pictures of themselves. It saddened me."

well, Miles Davis was once asked why he hung out in the hotel room rather than going out and looking at the scenery. He said "that's what postcards are for."

I think I'd rather have a picture of myself and my friends if I'm on a trip rather than scenery which a million other people have taken. It is never like it is when you are there. I'd rather have a picture of my friends.
acesover
View Profile
Special user
I believe I have
819 Posts

Profile of acesover
Now lets see if I follow Slide. You just got back from a vacation from The Grand Canyon and you are talking about it and someone says do you have any pictures? You say yes and begin to show them your pictures of eating at McDonalds both inside and in the car with your friends and two pictures of eating take out Chinese in your motel room with friends. Yea sounds like great pictures and memories. Smile Just put those in your scrap book or file them on your computer. Definitely no need for words with these is there? Smile I can hear the comments now. Wow look at that McDonalds inside. And I love the color of the interior of your car. To bad you closed your eyes on that one photo because it was a great pic of you and the value menu. Smile
If I were to agree with you. Then we would both be wrong. As of Apr 5, 2015 10:26 pm I have 880 posts. Used to have over 1,000
tommy
View Profile
Eternal Order
Devil’s Island
16276 Posts

Profile of tommy
Smile

Tommy
LobowolfXXX
View Profile
Inner circle
La Famiglia
1197 Posts

Profile of LobowolfXXX
Quote:
On 2013-11-19 17:15, Slide wrote:
It is not just a picture of yourself, which anyone can take. You take the picture in a selfie.

You take the picture in a picture of yourself, too.
"Torture doesn't work" lol
Guess they forgot to tell Bill Buckley.

"...as we reason and love, we are able to hope. And hope enables us to resist those things that would enslave us."
Slide
View Profile
Special user
533 Posts

Profile of Slide
"You say yes and begin to show them your pictures of eating at McDonalds both inside and in the car with your friends and two pictures of eating take out Chinese in your motel room with friends. "

Yes. The photos that mean something to me are those of my kids, my loved ones, my friends. You can't recreate the grand cannon from the lousy pictures you take. Ansel Adams has done much better. I'd rather have the memories of my loved ones. I don't eat at McDonalds so more likely it will be my friends and family eating a a colorful pub or local establishment. I don't know about you, but for me, people are much more fun and interesting to remember than some rock formation.
Slide
View Profile
Special user
533 Posts

Profile of Slide
"Wow look at that McDonalds inside. And I love the color of the interior of your car. To bad you closed your eyes on that one photo because it was a great pic of you and the value menu. "

remind me never to go on a vacation with you. Smile

so a few years ago I took my then girlfriend to Captiva Island. Beautiful spot. But the photos I took were of my girlfriend .It is the way SHE looked on the beaches of Captiva that capture my heart, not some bad photo of the sand.

Actually I'm really surprised that you would not see that. Really: when you go on vacation, you take shots of the scenery? You aren't interested in remembering how your family looked? I find that incredibly odd. But then I'm not you.
arthur stead
View Profile
Inner circle
When I played soccer, I hit
1823 Posts

Profile of arthur stead
We've already had the Me Generation. I wonder if this one will become known as the Selfie Generation?
Arthur Stead
royalty-free music and interactive routines
www.arthurstead.com
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » "Selfie" named word of the year (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.11 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL