The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » David Blaine (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
David Thiel
View Profile
Inner circle
Western Canada...where all that oil is
4005 Posts

Profile of David Thiel
The joke used to be "David Blaine -- one of magic's frozen people." It was a dig at Blaine's deadpan delivery, coupled with his (then) recent imprisonment in a block of ice. Magicians used to roll their eyes and explain how Blaine used standard stuff and got enormous attention as he did so. I have to admit that I watched his TV specials and never went away from them being quite sure how I felt about what I'd just seen.

Add to this the recent self-important-but-eye-rolling-and-cringe-inducing work of Criss Angel on the black box -- and...well...I wasn't completely looking forward to watching Blaine on television last night.

But from the opening credits to the close, I was entranced. I was delighted. I sat up a little straighter and sat in the audience doing exactly what a member of the audience is supposed to be doing at a good magic show: looking in wonder at amazing things happening right in front of me. I was baffled again and again and felt a joyful rush of hope that good TV magic isn't dead after all.

There were a number of geek effects: an ice pick through the hand (no blood) and a string going into his mouth and getting pulled out of his eye. There were a number of card effects where predictably impossible things happened. But you know something? Much as I dislike geek and card stuff, I was completely entertained...and couldn't look away.

Sheree, who will give most magic acts exactly 20 seconds to prove they're worth watching, sat beside me in the same attitude. (My wife has seen a LOT of magic over the years.) It was refreshing to be fooled again and again and just take delight in a performance of magic.

There was mentalism as well. It was beautifully presented and, as always, the audience reactions were right off the charts.

I know how I feel about David Blaine's work now. He's a guy in a t-shirt and jeans, with a monotone delivery and intense eyes that just fricking rocks. Good on you, David Blaine.

David (the other one)
Whatever doesn't kill you makes you stronger. Except bears. Bears will kill you.

My books are here: www.magicpendulums.com
www.MidnightMagicAndMentalism.com
IAIN
View Profile
Eternal Order
england
18807 Posts

Profile of IAIN
People forget that if there was no david blaine, there'd be far less chance of derren coming along...

initials aside, blaine was a breath of fresh air (even when he was holding it) - sure, some things didn't work out for him - but risk vs reward and all that... I think that when he's interviewed blaine comes across as a gentle, far smarter than he's given credit for and is obviously talented and knows how to develop a character...

I've always felt those that said he was boring missed the point (especially if you watch his first special)...it was a modern day swami, a strange traveller that had a foot in the past and another in the future...to "us" he maybe did simple stuff..but the importance was always focusing on the punters themselves...

will always love what blaine has done, given, shared, and continues to do so... affable, humble and low-key funny/dry too...plus he wasn't wearing a spangly waistcoat with a mullet and saying "Put out your hand..no the clean one" over and over again...

I look forward to the dvd release of the special if they don't show it over here...
I've asked to be banned
mastermindreader
View Profile
1949 - 2017
Seattle, WA
12586 Posts

Profile of mastermindreader
I agree completely.
hackmonkey
View Profile
Inner circle
England
1093 Posts

Profile of hackmonkey
I remember being attacked on this very forum for being a 'Blainiac' for having a picture of me and David as my avatar pic, many years ago. All I did was defend him in a rant against him.
I still hold him in high regard as I did from the start, meeting and talking with him a few times, he came across asa humble, friendly guy who loved magic.
Look behind you...on your left...thats the real world.

http://www.instagram.com/JoePiperMagic
Fire Starter
View Profile
Inner circle
4810 Posts

Profile of Fire Starter
Here Here,agree with everything stated.I have a couple of David Blaine DVD's and always enjoy watchiing them and it is Magicians like him that got me interest in the art in the first place.
innercirclewannabe
View Profile
Inner circle
Ireland
1597 Posts

Profile of innercirclewannabe
Tá sé ach cleas má dhéanann tú sé cuma mhaith ar cheann.
J M Talbot
View Profile
Inner circle
3058 Posts

Profile of J M Talbot
Well said David and I agree completely. David seems very at ease with who he is and really personifies a "modern shaman". Even for those who do not care for him surely agree that having magic and mentalism receive such strong reactions from celebrities in a 90 minute primetime special bodes well for magc and mentalism overall.

John
IAIN
View Profile
Eternal Order
england
18807 Posts

Profile of IAIN
I've asked to be banned
catweazle
View Profile
Special user
924 Posts

Profile of catweazle
Proper Bo!
Jamie D
View Profile
Inner circle
Ontario, Canada
2292 Posts

Profile of Jamie D
I've always been a fan of Blaine and believe I always will be. One of the major differences David has over the other(wink wink) is his ability to connect with the spectators. It's not just a "hey I'm famous and in it for the fame, here's a trick". He takes them on an emotional journey in some cases and just has a great personality that people seem connect with.

The first effect I thought was brilliant. He took an effect I always liked, (penetrating an object through the hand) and made sense of it by giving a well thought out presentation. That effect had me hooked and like David mentioned above, I too was entranced for the rest of the show. No flashy gimmicks, no fancy camera angles just old school David Blaine.

Darren
Twitter @darjames
IAIN
View Profile
Eternal Order
england
18807 Posts

Profile of IAIN
I think blaine is the anti-criss...
I've asked to be banned
Mike Ince
View Profile
Inner circle
2041 Posts

Profile of Mike Ince
Quote:
On 2013-11-20 17:39, IAIN wrote:

Lol
The secret of deception is in making the truth seem ridiculous.
Turk
View Profile
Inner circle
Portland, OR
3546 Posts

Profile of Turk
Quote:
On 2013-11-20 17:39, IAIN wrote:

Another "Pepsi spewing out of the nose" moment.

And, for the record, I too thought that David Blaine was brilliant last night and I sat mesmerized by his performances...even the geek stuff.

Mike
Magic is a vanishing Art.

This must not be Kansas anymore, Toto.

Eschew obfuscation.
eSamuels
View Profile
Inner circle
3085 Posts

Profile of eSamuels
Enjoyed the show.
Having access to that number of 'A-List' celebrities and getting the reactions that he did, certainly adds to the overall oomph!

The only downside....as is always the case post any Blaine special (and has historically been exploited by magic trick retailers)- you can expect a rush of young performers running out to buy everything they can that was performed on the show. All's well if we have thousands of young performers poking themselves with needles and ice-picks (what's that Darwin said?), but I do get concerned when something as wonderful as ** Touches is done poorly and potentially exposed, as a result.

e
ko_brian
View Profile
Veteran user
343 Posts

Profile of ko_brian
Quote:
On 2013-11-20 12:41, IAIN wrote:
People forget that if there was no david blaine, there'd be far less chance of derren coming along...

initials aside, blaine was a breath of fresh air (even when he was holding it) - sure, some things didn't work out for him - but risk vs reward and all that... I think that when he's interviewed blaine comes across as a gentle, far smarter than he's given credit for and is obviously talented and knows how to develop a character...

I've always felt those that said he was boring missed the point (especially if you watch his first special)...it was a modern day swami, a strange traveller that had a foot in the past and another in the future...to "us" he maybe did simple stuff..but the importance was always focusing on the punters themselves...

will always love what blaine has done, given, shared, and continues to do so... affable, humble and low-key funny/dry too...plus he wasn't wearing a spangly waistcoat with a mullet and saying "Put out your hand..no the clean one" over and over again...

I look forward to the dvd release of the special if they don't show it over here...

So true!!!
MattTarrant
View Profile
New user
11 Posts

Profile of MattTarrant
I can't think of a single "Street" Magic Special that I enjoyed more than this in recent years. Was brilliant.

The ice pick trick is insane, surely its a different method to Through and Through by Dan Hauss? Somebody, anybody?
bobbyk
View Profile
Special user
Florida
683 Posts

Profile of bobbyk
It was surprisingly good in my Opinion….. Not that I didn't care for Davids previous specials but the various stunts over the years just didn't interest me much and I always thought too much time was devoted to them. This on the other hand, was nearly all STRONG Magic and the various Celebrities added a lot. It was just plain fun to watch. Plus there was a nice history lesson regarding "Water Spouting" (not sure I remembered that name correctly... Just like History class in High School…. A lot went in one ear and out the other Smile Even so, I did enjoy that vintage clip and learning about this stunt. Very interesting.

If you didn't catch it, try to to find it, it's good!

Best,
Bk
the Sponge
View Profile
Inner circle
Atlanta
2776 Posts

Profile of the Sponge
Quote:
On 2013-11-21 06:46, MattTarrant wrote:

...surely its a different method to Through and Through by Dan Hauss? Somebody, anybody?

and why would you think that?
John C
View Profile
Eternal Order
I THINK therefore I wrote
12968 Posts

Profile of John C
Don't matter what you think of Blaine he's a success.
mastermindreader
View Profile
1949 - 2017
Seattle, WA
12586 Posts

Profile of mastermindreader
Quote:
On 2013-11-21 06:46, MattTarrant wrote:
I can't think of a single "Street" Magic Special that I enjoyed more than this in recent years. Was brilliant.

The ice pick trick is insane, surely its a different method to Through and Through by Dan Hauss? Somebody, anybody?

It wasn't a trick.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » David Blaine (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL